The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA 6176...?
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

UA 6176...?

First....I-did-a-search...and didn't find what I was looking for.

What do you guys think of this little strip? Specifically,

1. Does the compression measure up to the original? (I'm not talking about verrrry small sonic differences, I would rather know if it is a severe departure from the original, or a faithful recreation).

2. Can you make the mic pre sound gooey as well as clean?

Any info would be lovely. I've already got my cleaner mic pre sounds covered, lookin for a little color to add to my crayon collection.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

You have awakened the vampirical spirit of the UA haters far and wide. Prepare for the monsterous swarm of bats to emerge from their dark cave to sink their teeth into the 6176.

just kidding

I personally dig the strip, it's very usefu to mel. I love the DI . . . it's great. The pre is a bit darker, but sounds good nonetheless. The compresser, while not incredibly close to the original (as it appears you are looking for), is still a good sounding compressor. Fans of the original seem to prefer the purple audio to the UA reissues.

Just food for thought.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Mmmm really? Well that's no good...I was hoping that this unit was well received. Thanks for the response though...what do you use it for? I would imagine vox and acoustic guitar...these would be my primary applications. Anybody else?

BTW........I DO welcome criticizms of the unit, as long as they are founded on a small chunk of reason. I would really like to know everything that there is to know about it...I haven't posted here so someone would "talk me into buying it."

Thanks again guys

Last edited by BlueRadio; 31st January 2007 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

there isn't much love for the UA pres around here.
the compressors/leveling amplifiers, yes.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Actually, the 610 pre does sound quite nice on an acoustic guitar . . . funny you mentioned that. I just tracked an acoustic a couple of days ago through a P12 and that pre, and it sounded nice and full.

For what you're describing you want, I think this strip is probably not what you're looking for, however.

If you want an 1176 reissue, you might look at the MC77.

Are you looking specifically for a channel strip, or are you open to multiple units?
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm looking for a channel strip with some color, and I'm pretty set on a <$2000 price point.

I have a 737 that I really like, but it's too clean for some apps, and I don't always find the compression to be useful.

So, a mic pre with some goo...and yeah I am really interested in that 1176 sound. I had the pleasure of using one of the vintage silverface models at a larger facility in my city, and I really want that sound.

If there is another unit that accomplishes these goals, I would like to know about it. Otherwise, I would like to hear more about the 6176.

So to sum it up, I want to make sure that the preamp can sound filthy AND clean...and I would like more feedback on the compression.

Last edited by BlueRadio; 31st January 2007 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Nut

well if you got the 737 i would just go for the Purple comp....the pre in the 737 is nice and the eq is good.. heh that's sound's like one very nice combo for vox/acc gt's to me...

regarding the 6176...
Very nice DI....i think that the comp is close to the 1176.......no the pre is not fantastic, but usefull none the less....i've used it several times on vox and acc guitars....i'm a happy camper...

but i would still go for the purple since you already got the 737....
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

I have the 6176 and a M610.... I don't know why, maybe sentimentality because the M610 was one of my first really good pres, but I always use the M610 on vocals and often acoustic guitar over the 6176. And for that, it absolutely shines.

The 6176 I keep up at the drummer's place where it's always on a room mike with the compressor cranked up. You'd think I'd have gotten around to comparing the two back to back, but I never have. I can tell you the 6176 compressor sounds good, but the Purple is definitely thicker. For me, though, that's not always a good thing. I find a certain subtlety in the UA stuff that I really like.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Okay, great guys. I appreciate the feedback....

I would still like to hear more about the unit...but also regarding the pre, are any of you guys doing tube mods/replacements? I'd like to hear about that as well...thanks for all of the positive discussion.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Maniac

I had one and wasn't crazy about it. The only thing I really liked it on was bass (via DI input). In general, I think the low end is rather muddy and you can't have it sound clean (the soudn always has kind of a distorted edge to me).

I wasn't able to compare it to a real 1176 but as many threads here will tell you, it's not the real deal. I actually sold it to buy some cranesong preamps and never missed it for one microsecond.

One further thing is that I like to buy preamps in pairs (with a stereo comp added afterwards).
Old 1st February 2007
Here for the gear

don't understand why you guys dislike this pre!!??

I got mine few days ago and was quite afraid for not having made the right choice ( the fact is I own a TLM103 to match with). But I was blown away when I made my try...

It's wonderful coupled with my TLM. No distortion, unless I want it ,and great sound if I know how to find the right impedance and polarity settings.

That gear rocks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search