The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1066 12k in original Neve rack with Power Supply Condenser Microphones
Old 13th February 2016
Gear Head

Neve 1066 12k in original Neve rack with Power Supply

I have been looking for a good pair of vintage Neve 1073 or a good clone like BAE for some time to work with in my home and mobile studio which offers a simple line-up: a Brauner VMA, two Neumann Microtec Gefell UM 70 (the older version), a Neumann Dummy head KU 100 for microphones, a Prism Sound Orpheus as DAW and preamps (up to now) and Logic Pro in my Mac. I live in a house made of wood, and acoustics are great.

Now this offer has come along: an original Neve rack incl. power supply with 6 vintage 1066 preamps that have been modified to 12KHz. This unit will be about 25000 USD which of course is a lot of money, but I'm dreaming of a recording style like Daniel Lanois with a good preamp available each for voices and acoustic instruments.

Do you think the price is justified? The preamps were re-capped some time ago and have not been much used since. Of course it's a lot of money, but on the other hand an offer like this does not come along too often.
Old 13th February 2016
Gear Addict

If you were going to buy six bae modules - rather get six originals would be my call.

you could probably buy six and sell what you don't need quite easily for roughly what you paid per module by my maths....
Old 13th February 2016
Lives for gear

Get them because you want some great pres with really musical eq. Don't get them dreaming of sounding like Dan's recordings. That sound has almost nothing to to with the pres or gear for that matter. It's just about where you point your mind. And that's free.
For the record, I have these pres, love them, and record a lot of music in this style. I get the sound I want with lots of other pres as well. They are 100% musical, and the eq is wonderful, so get them if you want a half dozen super-useful pres.
Have fun!
Old 13th February 2016
Lives for gear

I used a friend's 1066 quite a few times. Sounded supremely good.
The offer you're getting prices them at around $4k each. Which unfortunately seems to be the going rate these days. You might be able to find a better deal for the odd one, but not for six. You should be able to sell them for around the same price if you want to get rid of them, and I'm sure you'd make a profit in 5 years.
If you can afford it, you'd probably be fine getting it.
Old 13th February 2016
Gear Head

No, I'm not dreaming of sounding like Dan by buying some gear. I agree i'ts his vision and spiritual attitude that makes things happen, but it surely is a way to follow. Heard "The Maker" last night with wide open ears, and there's so much depth and feeling in this production, it's hard to believe. On the other hand, I like recording live in one go, and the idea of six channels of warm vintage analogue Neve sound really sounds promising.
Old 14th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzsound View Post
No, I'm not dreaming of sounding like Dan by buying some gear. I agree i'ts his vision and spiritual attitude that makes things happen, but it surely is a way to follow. Heard "The Maker" last night with wide open ears, and there's so much depth and feeling in this production, it's hard to believe. On the other hand, I like recording live in one go, and the idea of six channels of warm vintage analogue Neve sound really sounds promising.
The price is more than fair. They are pretty much 1073s. For most acoustic instruments you'll miss the ability to cut 360Hz but they have all the balls you could ask for. No clone will give you that exact sound. I've tried them all.
Old 14th February 2016
Lives for gear

And naturally the Dude Kid walking down the Street with Apple Ear Bud Headphones or at best Chinese Dr Dre Classics is going to hear this detail for $25$K? Indeed they look nice though it galls me that in 1999 Dan Alexander and Brent Averil were selling Dual channel racks for $900 bucks, be it 1073, 1081 or $1200 for 2 x2254/E racked units!
Old 14th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
And naturally the Dude Kid walking down the Street with Apple Ear Bud Headphones or at best Chinese Dr Dre Classics is going to hear this detail for $25$K?
If your goal is to appeal to the lowest sonic denominator, these are obviously not for you. Personally, I can't remember the last time I bought any gear for my clients... If I can hear a difference and it puts a smile on my face, my requirements are met.
Old 14th February 2016
Lives for gear

I think at 4k a pop, its too much coin.

Sorry, but I'm working on a desk regulalry with 26 1073s and although they're fantastic, I have zero desire to buy the things anymore. When they were 2k-2500, sure, but at over 5k nowadays, the markup is just too high.

To the Op, the BAE and Shep offerings are just as good IMHO once you consider how far paying half price can go towards other front end (Mics, wire, etc).

And lets not forget that once the modules are out of the desk, its a whole other ball game sonically than tracking on a Vintage Neve.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
If your goal is to appeal to the lowest sonic denominator, these are obviously not for you. Personally, I can't remember the last time I bought any gear for my clients... If I can hear a difference and it puts a smile on my face, my requirements are met.
Syra,
I doubt any of us keep such expensive outboard Comps, Mic Preamps, Equalisers and Effects units for the common denominator though I'm really just expressing the reality of the scenario, not the exceptions. Mixing or Tracking at 44.1/48 or 96 and upwards is indeed something done to reproduce and capture that perfect (or near as.....) sound that High End Microphones and sources from D.I to Console can get close to.

Certainly Recording music only to have it released at bad codec rates is punishing which is why I just can't understand why iTunes and others don't offer a Full 96kHz option. Then quite possibly the real productions and the home DAW productions would be very telling! Then again I'm not against the emancipation of the DAW and the difference in needing at least 5-7$K worth of Gear to make a Demo when I was say 14 years old Vs the $225.00 buck do all DAW.

In the end, a great song is a great song!
Add the great production and it becomes a timeless recording!

Regards
TLB
Old 15th February 2016
Gear Head

buy one or two 1066 to satisfy your desire, but at those prices have to say BAE will get you there and save you some money in the process
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Hi

I can't put my finger on it but something about those modules looks odd...

In the photo of the module innards, if you look at the lower right hand PCB with the inductor it looks like there's a preset pot on the PCB also.

Passive EQ boards don't have trim pots.

Before you stump up $25,000 get some better photos of the innards of those PCBs.

PS Looked at an enlarged photo... the inductor is hanging from the PCB above it and the lower PCB is a B184 that did have trim pots for the input bias.

Sorry about that... carry on....
Old 15th February 2016
Gear Head

Great to have you around, Geoff, and good you took your time for a second "magnified" look. I remember when I asked you about my Neve A5312 (I guess that's what it was) with 24 discrete 33114 about twenty years ago. Your expertise is always welcome and helped me way back.
I have decided against getting those pres because the situation when I will need six good preamps at hand for a live situation is not near, and for my own work and demos the preamps of my Prism Sound Orpheus offer a good performance with my Brauner VMA.
Old 15th February 2016
Gear Head

Mods, please remove photographs

The owner of the 1066 informed me he does not want his pics to be shown here. I thought it was o.k. to attach them because they were shown at a public sales offer in Ebay Classifieds in Germany. I guess it would have been better to provide the link to the offer instead of showing the pics here.
So, one of the moderators of this department, please remove the pics from post #1 . I will then show the link to the original offer here. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 15th February 2016
Gear Head

Thanks for removing the pics. Can't post the link as promised because offer is obviously no longer available. Sorry for the mess. I hope these wonderful pres will make somebody else very happy.
Old 16th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
And naturally the Dude Kid walking down the Street with Apple Ear Bud Headphones or at best Chinese Dr Dre Classics is going to hear this detail for $25$K? Indeed they look nice though it galls me that in 1999 Dan Alexander and Brent Averil were selling Dual channel racks for $900 bucks, be it 1073, 1081 or $1200 for 2 x2254/E racked units!
Dan is the man, still always has the stuff that dreams are made of.....
Old 16th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great to have you around, Geoff, and good you took your time for a second "magnified" look. I remember when I asked you about my Neve A5312 (I guess that's what it was) with 24 discrete 33114 about twenty years ago. Your expertise is always welcome and helped me way back.
Did you end up selling the discrete 33114 board ?

I dig the sound of those boards..
Old 17th February 2016
Gear Head

Yes, it's a sad story: divorce, had to move, no room for the desk anymore in 1998. Sold it to an American company for about 14.000 USD. 24 discrete channels 33114, and they sounded soooo good. I remember recording and mastering a demo of an acoustic trio in my small studio in 1996 who told me again and again in years to come that they had recorded in larger and more professional studios but had never againg got that sound. A 50s Neuman M49 for vocals, two Neumann KM 84 for an acoustic Taylor guitar among others. Stellar sound with the 33114. A little bit of Lexicon reverb, some decent dynamics from a Drawmer 1960, and the whole thing breathed.
Old 17th February 2016
Quote:
A 50s Neuman M49 for vocals, two Neumann KM 84 for an acoustic Taylor guitar among others. Stellar sound with the 33114. A little bit of Lexicon reverb, some decent dynamics from a Drawmer 1960, and the whole thing breathed.
I'm curious.

Year 1996.... Tape machine ?
A big part of the good sound ?

R.
Old 17th February 2016
Gear Head

Yes, 2'' 24 track Otari MX 80. Bought the Neve and the Otari from a studio in Bavaria. The desk had formerly been installed at Bayrische Kammerspiele.
Old 17th February 2016
Quote:
Yes, 2'' 24 track Otari MX 80. Bought the Neve and the Otari from a studio in Bavaria. The desk had formerly been installed at Bayrische Kammerspiele.
Thank you very much for the answer !

2'' 24 track Otari MX 80.... yeah, I knew it !
Have the same machine in my studio.

Sounds incredible wonderful.

R.
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Syra,
I doubt any of us keep such expensive outboard Comps, Mic Preamps, Equalisers and Effects units for the common denominator though I'm really just expressing the reality of the scenario, not the exceptions. Mixing or Tracking at 44.1/48 or 96 and upwards is indeed something done to reproduce and capture that perfect (or near as.....) sound that High End Microphones and sources from D.I to Console can get close to.

Certainly Recording music only to have it released at bad codec rates is punishing which is why I just can't understand why iTunes and others don't offer a Full 96kHz option. Then quite possibly the real productions and the home DAW productions would be very telling! Then again I'm not against the emancipation of the DAW and the difference in needing at least 5-7$K worth of Gear to make a Demo when I was say 14 years old Vs the $225.00 buck do all DAW.

In the end, a great song is a great song!
Add the great production and it becomes a timeless recording!

Regards
TLB
I agree with you on those points. In the words of Fletcher, no one walks down the street humming a micpre... Btw I use Tidal HiFi right now which allows CD-quality streaming and shows the credits for all songs/albums. Give it a try...
Old 18th February 2016
Neve 1066

I take it from reading above that you didn't buy them. Honestly, I have owned both the 1073's and 1066's. To me, the 1066 is the ultimate between the 2. The 1066 has 10Khz High's as opposed to the 12Khz of the 1073. You can hear when you boost or cut on the 1066. I didn't like the 12Khz on the 1073. If you are still looking for these, go with a normal, not modified 1066 and you will be all set.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search