The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1073 vs. Neve 1073 Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Neve 1073 vs. Neve 1073

Hi

Can someone tell me what the difference is between these two:

Neve 1073 vs. Neve 1073Pair of Vintage Neve 1073 Preamp and EQ Modules | eBay

Neve 1073 vs. Neve 1073Neve 1073 Vintage Module | eBay

Is it just different knobs, and is that because they may have come from different consoles? Or is there something else?

Also, isn't $5,500 USD alot for a 1073?

Thanks.
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Usually is nice to read ebay descriptions, man.

"This was a Neve 2074 echo return module from an 8078 console we had. We put an original face plate on it after swapping the trim knob with the correct gain selector and adding the additional input transformer. All its insides(pictured) are original vintage and components of a 1073. It is originally from the same era."
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Well, yeah - I saw that. sorry, but please forgive my inexperience here. Only trying to learn something.

So, I understand about the faceplate; that's pretty self explanatory. But what I dont get is the knobs. The 2nd one claims to have the trim knob swapped, but in the picture, ALL of the knobs are different.

Is that because the 2nd one is an "echo return module" - which I dont even know what that is...
Old 13th February 2016
UGP
Gear Nut

Yeah $5500 is a lot of cash for any single channel module, but still less than it would cost you through VK. If the modules in the first link are from the same batch as the ones I bought from this seller, I can tell you these modules originated from a custom 38-channel Neve console commissioned for CTS studios in London, where James Bond films were scored. The console was later owned by Castle Oaks Studio, and you can see it in action on Ronan’s Recording Show - Episode #1 on youtube. For what it’s worth, I’ve done business with the first seller on a few occasions and have never been disappointed.
Old 13th February 2016
Lives for gear

The pricing on the first auction link is no bargain, but it's roughly in line with what you might expect to pay for vintage modules of this pedigree in decent condition. They appear to be the genuine article, as far as one can tell from the single picture provided and the very brief description.

The second auction is highly disingenuous and is trying to pass off something that is in no sense a 1073 as being that because it has some components in common. If you want a 1072, that ain't it. An echo return module is a line amp that forms part of a console to buffer the output of an external effect on an aux input. A rather different role from a mic amp, and someone with unstated expertise (or lack thereof) has butchered it to attempt to shoehorn it into the role of a mic pre and represent it as a 1073. I would stay well away.
Old 13th February 2016
Lives for gear

It boggles my mind that with Rupert Neve still alive and designing preamps and AMS Neve holding the intellectual property rights to all products designed by Rupert Neve during his ownership of the Neve group that people will pay this kind of money for a 1073.
Old 13th February 2016
API
Lives for gear

The reason they look different is that the 2074 they used is actually a 32074 module which uses the later 70s color scheme and knobs, the number 3 at the start was added for this new look.

The mod to a 1073 (or 31073 with this appearance) looks ok to my eyes, they have used the correct gainswitch and the BA283 looks like it has been filled up correctly.
Is it worth $3500? I dont think so but maybe someone else does.
Old 13th February 2016
Lives for gear

How about a 1081 instead of the smeared high end of the 1073 EQ?
Old 14th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Ok, learned a few things here. Thank you so much, guys!
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear
Neve 1073 doesn't really exist. It's just a number for many different versions of preamp. Yes, they share some of the same characteristics, but no more than a modern version/clone shares with the vintage versions.

The only reason to buy these things is for investment because modern clones will sound just as good if not better, in blind tests.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search