The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's new about an alternative SSL 4K computer?
Old 9th February 2016
Here for the gear

What's new about an alternative SSL 4K computer?

Hi all!

Here I am to ask what's up about to have an alternative computer for a 4000 SSL E/G or G+.. I've seen numbers of these shuts off by motherboard failure.. I work in a french studio, we get some support pieces but nothing about the computer, spoke with the technical chief over 20 years in the studio they never bought any motherbord supplies backup. I believe i'm not the first one to dream about cloning this.. I'm asking you if you know anybody doing this.. How much it would be? Does anyone have tried to built an emulation at your knowledge..?

Thanks for any answer!

Last edited by Husnow; 9th February 2016 at 05:39 PM..
Old 9th February 2016
Old 9th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
Thanks, i didn't know about dramasticaudio. Look really interesting !! But just a software with additionnal hardware.. For a G+ with already automated faders i dont know... ... Need to check this more precisely!

Last edited by Husnow; 9th February 2016 at 11:39 PM..
Old 10th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husnow View Post
Hi all!

Here I am to ask what's up about to have an alternative computer for a 4000 SSL E/G or G+.. I've seen numbers of these shuts off by motherboard failure.. I work in a french studio, we get some support pieces but nothing about the computer, spoke with the technical chief over 20 years in the studio they never bought any motherbord supplies backup. I believe i'm not the first one to dream about cloning this.. I'm asking you if you know anybody doing this.. How much it would be? Does anyone have tried to built an emulation at your knowledge..?

Thanks for any answer!
Hello Husnow,

THD Labs has designed a new automation system for your SSL 4000, the Tangerine Automation Interface (TAI). The Tangerine Automation Interface gives you the ability to use popular DAWs with a MAC/PC to replace the old SSL automation computer. The Tangerine Automation Interface bi-directionally links your SSL 4000 faders, mutes, automation status switches and the SSL VCAs to your MAC/PC computer. The connection is done on the SSL side with the 50pins "faders" flat cables and with a USB2 connection on the computer side. You can now remove your old SSL computer and start to use the Tangerine Automation Interface !

The ''TAI'' has been designed and optimized to work with ProTools. Our system gives you the ability to do up to 96 tracks of automation in Protools by using bank slide. Alternately, mix engineers can use our "customized for automation" version of REAPER (the licence is included in the package). It replaces the SSL automation software, working in sync with Protools (or any audio source) via midi timecode. This solution still offers the best of a DAW work flow, in a graphical "volume envelope" mode that can be easily edited, or in a "mouse less" workflow, where everything is done from the console. We would call this our "legacy mode..."

The main advantages of using the Tangerine Automation Interface are the following:

• Simplified File/project management, as it uses your computer and DAW file format and storage.
• The potential savings you will make by reducing the power consumption, as our power supply draws only 34 watts instead of the 600+ watts used by the old computer, this might end up in considerable savings on your electricity bill !
• Minimized/easy learning curve. The TAI can easily be used by either experiences or less experienced engineers.
• Easy project migration from Protools ITB (if the client comes in with a "premix") to OTB/SSL mixes, as mixes made in Protools can directly be played back in the SSL as the volumes match are exact.

THD Labs has also designed two options that can be added to the system in order to optimize your workflow :

- Recall-IT Option: offers the same functions has SSL's Total Recall but with the added benefits of "intranet/web" access on any devices on your local cat5/WIFI network
- Touch screen LCD Option: gives centralized remote access to the DAW transport, automation modes, session management, Recall-it, and configuration modes.

Because customer satisfaction is the main priority of THD Labs, we give a full warranty of 5 years.

You can also visit our website THD Labs | SSL automation interface | mix automation in you want to get additional information about our products. We will update the website with news, tutorial videos and technical support information.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about our product.

THD Labs
[email protected]
1-866-344-0880
Attached Thumbnails
What's new about an alternative SSL 4K computer?-tai-96.jpg  
Old 11th February 2016
Here for the gear

Hows Ultimation support coming for g+'s??
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Sound View Post
Hows Ultimation support coming for g+'s??
Hello Immortal Sound,

just a quick update to let you know that THD Labs will release the Ultimation version of the Tangerine Automation Interface May 15th 2017.

We have many users of the VCA Tangerine Automation Interface all across USA, mainly in Los Angeles, Nashville & New York. We sold our first Interface in Europe, which has been installed in a studio in Poland.

We are currently doing the R&D for our next product, a bank of 8 motorized faders that will replace the VCA Group faders section. This option will give remote access to any automated faders. It will also give real-time visual feedback of faders positions. This product will be available during the summer of 2017. We are also working on a Neve Flying Faders version of the interface that should be release later this year.

Do not hesitate to call us directly at 1-866-344-0880 if you want to have additional information about our products.

Best regards,

The Tangerine Automation Interface team
THD Labs | SSL automation interface | mix automation
1-866-344-0880
www.facebook.com/thdlabs/
THD Labs | SSL automation interface | mix automation
Old 22nd April 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks guys I look forward to may and will be ordering one. I am much excited about your future products.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Exciting!!

I'm potentially looking at a 4040G+ and I'd be more than happy to bin the old PC for one of these.

Makes do much intuitive sense from what I've seen on the videos.

Wiggy
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Nut
We have had no less than 5 tecs fly out to try and fix the Ultimation computer. No joy due to a tiny fluctuation in the master VCA when the CPU is turned on. Not throwing any more good money after bad trying to isolate the problem in the sample and hold circuits etc...
That said the wait has been long and painful for the Ultimation version of the tai interface to be ready. Anyone out there loving their tai VCA automation system? Would love to hear about how it stacks up to the original CPU.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search