The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Coupling or de-coupling ATC SCM20sl with wood/acrylic stand
Old 8th February 2016
Here for the gear

Coupling or de-coupling ATC SCM20sl with wood/acrylic stand

Hi,

I just bought this stand to go with my passive ATC SCM 20sl monitors (2nd gen, vifa tweeter). I was wondering whether you would advise me on a material to couple or de-couple the speaker with the stand. I have read extensively on the subject in various threads here and elsewhere (e.g. big fat dots, sorbothane, etc.) but I am lost to the sheer amount of opinion/information that is out there.

The whole set is placed on a floating wooden parquet floor. The stand itself consists of two wooden slabs (top and bottom) combined with a plywood pillar encased in a acrylic tube which allows for significant filling (e.g. silica sand). The spikes shown in the picture were not included in the package.

In my mind it should work similarly to the original ATC speaker stand although I don't know about the acrylic tube/filling.

Not sure that this info helps, but the pair is driven by an ATC SIA2-150 integrated amplifier via a set of Kimber 8TC cables.

In the past ATC's own dealer here in Greece suggested nothing fancier than blu-tac, but I was wondering whether this advise mostly applies to mass loaded steel stands (e.g. Sound Anchors) rather than wood.

Thanks in advance,
Old 8th February 2016
Gear Guru

I have stands similar to yours and I've been using Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizers for quite a while now and I think they're great.
Primacoustic Acoustic Solutions
Old 10th February 2016
I have the SCM20SL MKII's as well and also use recoil stabalizers. I figure if you spend that much on monitors, paying ~200 on pads is no big deal. With their weight not all options work that great on em.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search