The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ocean Audio Ark 916 or Trident 88 or ???
Old 8th February 2016
Gear Maniac
Ocean Audio Ark 916 or Trident 88 or ???

I'm planning to get a bigger console later this year.
16 Track, Inline. Fully modular.
I narrowed it down to either the Ocean Ark or Trident 88. Everything pricier is out of my budget.
What do you think?
And is there any other console is this pricerange/quality/functionality?
Thanks guys.
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

This may not be helpful as I've never been on the same room as the Ocean Audio desk.....but as far as the Trident 88 goes, it's excellent. If you like the 80b type eq, this certainly has it. The pres ar very good.....we have some with trannies and some without. The overall headroom of th desk is good. It's just a bit cleaner than an 80b.....
Old 8th February 2016
These 2 were on my shortlist and I went with the Ocean as it's British like me and I could have all my favourite 500 series flavours including Trident. There weren't any 88s around for me to demo so I didn't get that far....
Old 9th February 2016
Gear Maniac
Thanks Kirt and Paul.
I have an Oram 16T at the moment. It's a great little console. Very tight and beefy. I really like the sound.
But of course it lacks some functions. That's the main reason i want to take it a step further.
I don't have any 500 modules - well, yet. If i'd get the Ark i guess that might change.
Both the 88 and the Ark seem fantastic.
The only thing about the Trident 88 is the fact that there is no real EQ in the monitor section. The Tilt Filter sure is nice, but, well.
The thing about the Ark is that there are only 6 Auxes.
Old 10th February 2016
Here for the gear
Thanks Kirt and Paul.
I have an Oram 16T at the moment. It's a great little console. Very tight and beefy. I really like the sound.
But of course it lacks some functions. That's the main reason i want to take it a step further.
I don't have any 500 modules - well, yet. If i'd get the Ark i guess that might change.
Both the 88 and the Ark seem fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracki View Post
The only thing about the Trident 88 is the fact that there is no real EQ in the monitor section. The Tilt Filter sure is nice, but, well.
The thing about the Ark is that there are only 6 Auxes.
Yes you are correct, there is a Tilt EQ in the monitor path, however, you are also able to switch the channel EQ into the monitor path should you require a more comprehensive EQ. The console is an inline console with channel inputs and monitor returns on the same module strip allowing you use some of the channel features for the monitor returns. You can basically swap the Input channel EQ and the monitor EQ on the Trident 88, you can also assign two mono Auxes and a stereo aux (switchable pre/post monitor level) to the monitor return too.

Another important feature on the Trident 88 is that each channel has effectively two inserts. With a lot of customers wishing to utilize their 500 modules, these inserts allow you to plug in your 500 modules and enable them from the front panel of the Trident 88. The first insert is the mic insert, not functionally an insert but an input for your outboard Mic Pre/Line input device which allows you to plug your own input into the channel (1/4" Jack)and bypass the console Mic Pre completely. Additionally there is a channel insert (switchable pre/post EQ) so you can add either your own outboard EQ or effects device.

Do note, the Trident 88 comes standard with high quality discreet mic pres and the renowned EQ, whereas some consoles that allow the plugging in of the 500 modules come with these bays empty, you have to plug your own, or buy your own before you can use these features. Something to look at when you price up the console.
Old 10th February 2016
Yeah that's one of the reasons I didn't go for the 88. I didn't need Mic pres so i just filled the slots with eq and comps for mixing. It doesn't work out cheap but it's a hell of a hybrid.
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Yeah that's one of the reasons I didn't go for the 88. I didn't need Mic pres so i just filled the slots with eq and comps for mixing. It doesn't work out cheap but it's a hell of a hybrid.
Many people don't have a lot or any 500 Series Modules. The 500 Series also run on lower voltage rails, so in many cases, headroom is an issue when compared to a higher voltage product.

For those that have tons of 500 Modules, an ARK might make sense. If you do not have a lot of 500 Series modules, then here is how it breaks down..

The ARK-516 in the UK is about £14,000.00. Add 16 500 Series MicPres and EQ's, and that is about £16,000.00. Good MicPres and EQ's are not cheap. Total £30,000.00 for a 16 input ARK console.

The Trident 88-16 is £14,999.00. It has 16 Class A Discrete MicPreamps with optional transformers. It has 16 4 band sweep Trident 80C EQ's. It has 16 In-Line monitors with EQ, and can mix 56 inputs all with EQ to the two buss...You can also insert up to 32 outboard devices without a patch bay, and a feature set that the ARK cannot compare with.

Then look at the specs...Lastly, the Trident 88 has a two year warranty with an optional third year free if you register the console within 45 days.

For £26,999.00 you can get the Trident 88-32 input and still save £3,000.00...

Something to consider////
Old 10th February 2016
Gear Guru

another option is Paul Wolff's new console
500 series buckets .make it any way you want.
FIX Console
Old 10th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
FIX Console
Yes great options on that. If I was Stateside I'd be looking at that and the Daking...
Old 10th February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes great options on that. If I was Stateside I'd be looking at that and the Daking...
Yeah Daking.I would be looking at these and maybe the CS75.
I did a bit of work on the AMS Gen Black..some cool functions but didnt really feel any awesome sonic sig to it.
if only upgrading newer consoles wasn't such a bloody money pit.my 1608/tonelux rig is about 40% devalued since purchase.
Old 10th February 2016
Quote:
Yeah Daking.I would be looking at these and maybe the CS75.
I did a bit of work on the AMS Gen Black..some cool functions but didnt really feel any awesome sonic sig to it.
if only upgrading newer consoles wasn't such a bloody money pit.my 1608/tonelux rig is about 40% devalued since purchase.
Don't talk to me about Tonelux Mate! I lost 2/3rds on mine. Great sound but very little brand kudos with the uninitiated. Anyway, someone got a great deal on that.

I got my Ark ex-demo and saved a big chunk so that took a bit of the sting out of it.

Weird the API's devalue so much though given the strength of the name....Modern times I guess?

The CS75 does look lovely. If they had been UK based I'd have jumped...
Old 10th February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracki View Post
I'm planning to get a bigger console later this year.
16 Track, Inline. Fully modular.
I narrowed it down to either the Ocean Ark or Trident 88. Everything pricier is out of my budget.
What do you think?
And is there any other console is this pricerange/quality/functionality?
Thanks guys.
The Ark or the 88 are quite different consoles.
The Ark is fully modular, and you can select and combine different input channels (with or without 500 series slots).
By adding blocks of 8 channels, you get your preferred configuration.

The Ark 900 input channels feature a transformer balanced MicPre, a 4-band EQ and a 3-band EQ for the monitor section. Both EQs are designed by Malcolm Toft.
The Ark 500 input channels don't have MicPre or EQs, but have 2 slots for 500-series modules. (note that these slots are not "tied" to the channels, so you can actually use any module on any channel).
The 500 input channels are fully working line level channels, even without any 500-series modules installed.
Both the 900 inputs and 500 inputs have two signal paths per channel.

As said, you can combine the different input channels (per block of 8) for your preferred configuration. Theoretically there is no limit to the number of channels, although we need to admit that we have not tested more than 64 channels (for a total of 128 inputs and 128 500-slots).

While the Ark with 900 input channels only could be compared to the 88; in our opinion, the strength of the Ark is the configurability.
When you start combining 900 inputs and 500 inputs, a lot of options become available.
For example, who says you have to fill up the 500 slots with MicPres and EQS?
Do you really need MicPres on ALL your channels? (maybe you do, but we like to offer our customers the choice)

Apart from all this, I don't think it is up to our competitors to say at which price we sell or have to sell.
Here are some examples of actual UK pricing (and these are list prices):
- Ark with 16x 500 input channels with extended master section : £12500
- Ark with 16x 900 input channels with extended master section : £14995
- Ark with 16x 900 input channels, 8x 500 input channels and LX master section : £17500
- Ark with 32x 900 input channels with extended master section : £26500

Something to consider ?

Peace
Bruno
Ocean Audio
Old 11th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno W View Post
The Ark or the 88 are quite different consoles.
The Ark is fully modular, and you can select and combine different input channels (with or without 500 series slots).
By adding blocks of 8 channels, you get your preferred configuration.

The Ark 900 input channels feature a transformer balanced MicPre, a 4-band EQ and a 3-band EQ for the monitor section. Both EQs are designed by Malcolm Toft.
The Ark 500 input channels don't have MicPre or EQs, but have 2 slots for 500-series modules. (note that these slots are not "tied" to the channels, so you can actually use any module on any channel).
The 500 input channels are fully working line level channels, even without any 500-series modules installed.
Both the 900 inputs and 500 inputs have two signal paths per channel.

As said, you can combine the different input channels (per block of 8) for your preferred configuration. Theoretically there is no limit to the number of channels, although we need to admit that we have not tested more than 64 channels (for a total of 128 inputs and 128 500-slots).

While the Ark with 900 input channels only could be compared to the 88; in our opinion, the strength of the Ark is the configurability.
When you start combining 900 inputs and 500 inputs, a lot of options become available.
For example, who says you have to fill up the 500 slots with MicPres and EQS?
Do you really need MicPres on ALL your channels? (maybe you do, but we like to offer our customers the choice)

Apart from all this, I don't think it is up to our competitors to say at which price we sell or have to sell.
Here are some examples of actual UK pricing (and these are list prices):
- Ark with 16x 500 input channels with extended master section : £12500
- Ark with 16x 900 input channels with extended master section : £14995
- Ark with 16x 900 input channels, 8x 500 input channels and LX master section : £17500
- Ark with 32x 900 input channels with extended master section : £26500

Something to consider ?

Peace
Bruno
Ocean Audio
Interesting, we quoted from a dealers website, not what you would sell at, so talk to your dealer about the prices he sells at....It has come to our attention that Malcolm Toft is no longer manufacturing or selling Ocean Audio and is retiring to get out of the business.... So what happens to the customers that buy in to Ocean Audio now, and then find out the company has closed down. What do they they do then?
Old 11th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
FIX Console
Is that even available yet? Haven't been able to find any indications that it is.
Old 12th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt View Post
Interesting, we quoted from a dealers website, not what you would sell at, so talk to your dealer about the prices he sells at....It has come to our attention that Malcolm Toft is no longer manufacturing or selling Ocean Audio and is retiring to get out of the business.... So what happens to the customers that buy in to Ocean Audio now, and then find out the company has closed down. What do they they do then?
Malcolm phoned me this week with a query I had and was very helpful. He is coming down to see the console in situ soon. I should also mention that he proudly hand delivered it after it was customized.
Bruno and Malcolm have been readily available whenever I have had questions.
Old 12th February 2016
Here for the gear

am i the only gearslut reading threads about ocean audio/toft products and soooo tired of the trident guy always at the ready to jump in with a put down.
Old 12th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Malcolm phoned me this week with a query I had and was very helpful. He is coming down to see the console in situ soon. I should also mention that he proudly hand delivered it after it was customized.
Bruno and Malcolm have been readily available whenever I have had questions.
That's great. Personal service is always a plus... All I am saying is the rumor in the industry has been going around and we clearly heard Malcolm is retiring. We heard he is closing down Ocean Audio, and will no longer produce consoles, or anything else.... So maybe Bruno or Malcolm can come on and dispel the rumor. I know if there was a rumor about PMI, I would be on to address it.

Back in November, Bruno was all over the AES Show telling everyone he bought the company, but that was dismissed by Malcolm...So did Bruno lie about that? If any of this is true, then I think customers will want to know, if it is not, then let Bruno or Malcolm come on and set me straight, and I will then inform those who are in the industry talking about this.......
Old 12th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzil View Post
am i the only gearslut reading threads about ocean audio/toft products and soooo tired of the trident guy always at the ready to jump in with a put down.
This is not a put down... Where did I say anything bad about the products? I think your coming at it from a wrong angle. The rumor is out in the industry. I was approached as a result of my past with Malcolm, and I clearly would like to know, and if it is true, then I would suppose you all would want to know as well...

This is not a Trident guy jumping in and saying bad things about any product, and I clearly said nothing bad anywhere on this thread. I would think any new Ocean customer before spending a lot of money would like to know if the company is in business or is going out of business....

So for me to get it clear with industry people, all I want to know is which is it??
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
That's great. Personal service is always a plus... All I am saying is the rumor in the industry has been going around and we clearly heard Malcolm is retiring. We heard he is closing down Ocean Audio, and will no longer produce consoles, or anything else.... So maybe Bruno or Malcolm can come on and dispel the rumor. I know if there was a rumor about PMI, I would be on to address it.

Back in November, Bruno was all over the AES Show telling everyone he bought the company, but that was dismissed by Malcolm...So did Bruno lie about that? If any of this is true, then I think customers will want to know, if it is not, then let Bruno or Malcolm come on and set me straight, and I will then inform those who are in the industry talking about this.......
We don't need any help from you to inform the industry, Alan.
We're quite capable to do that ourselves, if there is anything to announce.

Bruno
Ocean Audio

Last edited by Bruno W; 13th February 2016 at 05:32 AM..
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Pathetic ...

Ocean Audio is not going to reply or react to this in public, but would like to assure our current and future customers that all our products carry a three-year warranty as standard, and we will keep offering this in the years to come.

Thank you to the Gearslutz who stepped up for Ocean Audio.
Some people fail to understand that by attacking other companies, they risk making a fool of them self.

with analogue love
Bruno
Ocean Audio

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search