The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADAT Modifications
Old 7th February 2016
  #1
Here for the gear
 

ADAT Modifications

I picked up some old black face ADATs recently and they have stickers on them that say they were custom modified by Angel City Electronics. Anyone know anything about these mods?
Old 7th February 2016
  #2
Look inside. If the filters have been removed, that's a warning sign. Some did that with poor results.
Old 7th February 2016
  #3
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
You actually bought used blackface ADATs?
Old 7th February 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 

Personally, Im waiting for the AAX plugin version...
Old 9th February 2016
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
You actually bought used blackface ADATs?
I know right?
I still had some sessions I needed to transfer to Pro Tools.
I couldn't find anyone else to do the transfer so I just bought them.
$50 Ea. They all had low hours and the same firmware version.
I picked up an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge for $150 as well.
I need to clean the heads and such, but $300 to get these tracks
in to Pro Tools seems like a bargain. Even if I can't sell them when
I'm done I think it's money well spent.
Old 9th February 2016
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblinman View Post
I know right?
I still had some sessions I needed to transfer to Pro Tools.
I couldn't find anyone else to do the transfer so I just bought them.
$50 Ea. They all had low hours and the same firmware version.
I picked up an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge for $150 as well.
I need to clean the heads and such, but $300 to get these tracks
in to Pro Tools seems like a bargain. Even if I can't sell them when
I'm done I think it's money well spent.
I hadn't thought of transfers.
Old 9th February 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblinman View Post
I picked up some old black face ADATs recently and they have stickers on them that say they were custom modified by Angel City Electronics. Anyone know anything about these mods?

Dunno... I only know about the classic @ Fletcher "Sh!t on a Stick" mod
Attached Thumbnails
ADAT Modifications-image_2650_0.jpg  
Old 9th February 2016
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Haha, I forgot about that.
Old 9th February 2016
  #9
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
Damn Squawk -- where did you find a copy of that photo? My dear friend Jean Renard took that photo. I met Jean when he was managing Ben Orr of the CARS. I was working on one of Ben's solo records [not sure if it was released or not... we were drinking rather heavily back in those days!!].

When I left M-A in '09 I thought it would go on forever... I mean the dude bought himself a solid business with a seriously solid crew!! ...ALL the dude had to do was "not fµck it up". I never took any of the art / photos / articles / fun **** because it never occurred to me that the joint was going to go down like a stone... I mean seriously -- all the dude had to do was "not fµck it up"!!!

Ooooops.

I just bought a bar... it needs a LOT of work. I was [believe it or not], having a difficult time with the landlord on coming to an agreement about my lease for the space [and how / who was going to be taking care of getting the Petrie Dish of a floor in the kitchen taken care of before several people ended up thinking they were spending a day at Chipotle!! -- I digress]. In an hour long "give and take" I got the landlord to come around to my side, and I got most of the lease [and ALL of the floor!!] that was necessary to move forward.

The one line in the conversation that won her over was: "hey, I'm looking at two other joints that have been around for 25 years each that would be way less work than what I want to do in your space. All I'd have to do is sign a bunch of papers and "not screw it up" as they all obviously have a staff that loves their gig and are very good at it. I'd prefer the challenge of building an identity for a room in this space... so, whaddaya say we put the money in escrow for 5 years to rebuild the wall you don't want me to take down if my bar doesn't make it for 10 years".

In the meanwhile --- I don't have a copy of that photo [other than the thumbnail you posted that I just saved] -- so if you have a larger one please PM it to me... and if you don't, can you point me near where you found the image?

Peace
Old 9th February 2016
  #10
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
PS --- I was a huge fan of the original blackfaced ADAT's!!!!!!! Literally 20 years later [OK, 19 years, 4 months -- sue me] later and you guys are still talking about it!! Best >$800 ever been spent in "audio marketing"!! I'm very flattered!!

But more importantly -- seriously -- you just can't fµcking beat the sound of tape!!!

Peace
Old 9th February 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblinman View Post
I know right?
I still had some sessions I needed to transfer to Pro Tools.
I couldn't find anyone else to do the transfer so I just bought them.
$50 Ea. They all had low hours and the same firmware version.
I picked up an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge for $150 as well.
I need to clean the heads and such, but $300 to get these tracks
in to Pro Tools seems like a bargain. Even if I can't sell them when
I'm done I think it's money well spent.
If the transfers are valuable to you, then thats a GREAT deal!
A couple years ago I got an Otari DTR90II for some transfers...150 bucks...
now its worth like 15 hahaha
Old 9th February 2016
  #12
I used to modify black face ADAT's in the 1990's. I would use LT1359 quad opamps in place of the TL084's. 1 uf caps were changed to 47 uf as they had a thin low end from that. PCM1700 BurrBrown K grade converters were installed. It was quite a bit of work and a few dozen were reworked.
Old 9th February 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Damn Squawk -- where did you find a copy of that photo? My dear friend Jean Renard took that photo. I met Jean when he was managing Ben Orr of the CARS. I was working on one of Ben's solo records [not sure if it was released or not... we were drinking rather heavily back in those days!!].

When I left M-A in '09 I thought it would go on forever... I mean the dude bought himself a solid business with a seriously solid crew!! ...ALL the dude had to do was "not fµck it up". I never took any of the art / photos / articles / fun **** because it never occurred to me that the joint was going to go down like a stone... I mean seriously -- all the dude had to do was "not fµck it up"!!!

Ooooops.

I just bought a bar... it needs a LOT of work. I was [believe it or not], having a difficult time with the landlord on coming to an agreement about my lease for the space [and how / who was going to be taking care of getting the Petrie Dish of a floor in the kitchen taken care of before several people ended up thinking they were spending a day at Chipotle!! -- I digress]. In an hour long "give and take" I got the landlord to come around to my side, and I got most of the lease [and ALL of the floor!!] that was necessary to move forward.

The one line in the conversation that won her over was: "hey, I'm looking at two other joints that have been around for 25 years each that would be way less work than what I want to do in your space. All I'd have to do is sign a bunch of papers and "not screw it up" as they all obviously have a staff that loves their gig and are very good at it. I'd prefer the challenge of building an identity for a room in this space... so, whaddaya say we put the money in escrow for 5 years to rebuild the wall you don't want me to take down if my bar doesn't make it for 10 years".

In the meanwhile --- I don't have a copy of that photo [other than the thumbnail you posted that I just saved] -- so if you have a larger one please PM it to me... and if you don't, can you point me near where you found the image?

Peace

Hey Fletcher,

I always remembered that story, classic. I just did a quick search on the internets to find the image. It was from an old Creative Mac article.

All the best with your new business venture, sounds like a cool place!

It's A Mercenary Territory


At the 1996 AES, Alesis had come out with "the perfect match for the cheap Mackie boards of the era." As a visceral display of Mercenary's disdain for the Mackie/ADAT combo, they harpooned a Mackie 1202 and an Alesis ADAT with a 4.5-foot steel spike.

They called the sculpture "**** on a Stick" with the full intention of drawing the ire from both Mackie and Alesis. "Unfortunately Greg Mackie was blessed with a marvelous sense of humor and said, 'Hey you bought it, do whatever you want with it.' Fortunately, the mooks at Alesis possessed no such funny bone," notes Fletcher.

"It was the best thousand dollars anyone has ever spent in the history of marketing, because if Mercenary Audio wasn't a household name in recording before that show, it was after." Dan Daly's subsequent article in Studio Sound helped to perpetuate the myths and legends of both Fletcher and Mercenary Audio creating brand recognition and street credibility copied and imitated by numerous professional audio companies to this day.
Old 10th February 2016
  #14
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
Thanks for the link! ...fun trip down memory lane. Unfortunately for the world of audio [but not for moi] -- while I did my time in that rodeo, when I walked out I had plenty to show!!! ...and I'll tell you friend, I ain't quite that loco -- I ain't no fool and would never do it over again!! "is it the style, is it the lies -- days into nights, i'm sorries into fights" [modified chorus].

Peace
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump