The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are some of the best 500 preamps build quality wise?
Old 7th February 2016
Gear Head

What are some of the best 500 preamps build quality wise?

Like which ones are built with solid materials, has a nice weight, knobs rarely loosen which is a big one! and buttons are intact and do not come out with pulling which is mostly my reason for asking like for example neve units have this problem. But you know anything else like nice paint where writing doesn't wear easily, back plated aiding protection of the electronics is important too because I have had heat and water damaged units in repair but I think most have that so not much worry there. But anything you guys think of which is nice to have. I like the build of the lunchbox, paint on the handle didn't last long and not beautiful now but the exterior is made for war. Great river seemed to be solid built last I used it and may be the answer to my own question, earthworks wasn't bad as well and was light. If you want to talk about any other 500 units with excellent material manufacturing that will last a lifetime, that is cool as well.
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

A-Designs pres feel rock solid. I have the blue.

Most solid piece of 500 gear I have is the Electrodyne 511 EQ, I'd imagine their pres feel similarly as hefty.
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear
BAE 1073D very expemsive but very beautifully hand built, should last as long as the vintage Neves.
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear
All of them except about 2.
Old 8th February 2016
I haven't come across better made gear than my Avedis preamps and EQ.
Old 8th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Alamo View Post
I haven't come across better made gear than my Avedis preamps and EQ.
+1 the ma5 is a must for big fat tones.
Old 8th February 2016
Avedis MA5, Grace 501, Heider if you can find one
Old 8th February 2016
Great River MP500
Old 8th February 2016
Gear Maniac

So many...just look at the "boutique" manufacturers and go with their modules.

Yes, the Great River MP500-NV is top of the list. The Rascal Audio One or Two-V, LaChapell 583S, Phoenix Audio DRS1R, Purple Audio Biz are a few others that come to mind...the API 512c is quite solid as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search