The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
micing up an upright, km84 or akg414?
Old 6th February 2016
Here for the gear

micing up an upright, km84 or akg414?

I've just bought a steinway model v for my studio, i already have a km84 and a akg 414xls, i was thinking of buying another one of either of those to make a stereo pair but which one?

P
Old 6th February 2016
Gear Addict

km84 in my opinion. Although, if you are going to open the lid and mic from the top, it might be nice to have the 414s in omni. I know that overall, I would rather have a pair of 84s.
Old 6th February 2016
Km84 with out a doubt. I got 2 for sale in Sweden btw
Old 6th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Km84 with out a doubt. I got 2 for sale in Sweden btw
how much for 1 of them?

P
Old 6th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkie View Post
how much for 1 of them?

P
1150$ got one in the 39k range and one in the 57k range.

You can PM me
Old 6th February 2016
Gear Guru

84 without a doubt.
Old 7th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkie View Post
I've just bought a steinway model v for my studio, i already have a km84 and a akg 414xls, i was thinking of buying another one of either of those to make a stereo pair but which one?

P
Two factors that are hard to account for are what the instrument will sound like in *your* room and how the resulting recording will sit in *your* mixes.

In abstract, like others here I'd lean towards the KM84 pair - for this and various other applications - over the 414. But your problem is not so abstract, assuming you've taken delivery of the piano, and given that you already have one of each mic.

I'd suggest throwing up the two mics you have over the Steinway, recording a few bars of some tracks you know well (and have mixed, preferably) and then seeing which you prefer in context. Then by a second of that.

It's still a fair guess that the '84 will be your choice when you've done that, but until you do it's by no means certain.
Old 7th February 2016
Lives for gear

I have both and much prefer the KM84 for upright or grand piano.

Last edited by skybluerental; 8th February 2016 at 12:37 AM..
Old 7th February 2016
Lives for gear

I prefer large diaphrams for upright. I was talked into by a bass player on a session to use one of our KM56s to track his upright. They are stellar mics however though it has beautiful detail I found that something like a U67 or Soundelux U99 captures the size of the instrument better and it sits where I need it. I'm fighting getting the bass to both sit fat in the mix and hold the low end down. On the previous session I tracked him with the U99 and had all the size and detail needed to have the bass sit where I needed. YMMV.
Old 7th February 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
I prefer large diaphrams for upright. I was talked into by a bass player on a session to use one of our KM56s to track his upright....
I was confused, too - the OP means an upright piano, not a bass.

The KM84 always sounds nice on piano. The C414 variants can sound great on piano as well. For more of a classical sound, ballads, new age, and the like, I would go with the KM84. If you want more of a percussive rock sound, try taking the front and bottom board off of the piano and try close mic'ing with the C414.

I agree with DarkSky Media; try both of the mics that you have and decide which is right for your needs in your musical context.

In terms of overall versatility for your studio (outside of piano recording), it's a hard call. The KM84 sounds great on so many individual instruments and a stereo pair is great for main-pair near-coincident distance mic'ing as well, while the C414's multiple patterns create a different kind of versatility.

I don't think you can go wrong here either way....
Old 7th February 2016
Lives for gear

I don't know XLS, but I like C414eb on upright. There is something relaxed sounding to them and perhaps the forgiving nature of the C414 @2-3-4-5khz and bass extension has something to do with it. Closest thing to KM84 I have is KM76 and while it's perfectly capable of getting nice piano sound I much prefer C414. SDCs somehow don't do it for me on pianos, even schoeps MK21 feels worse to me than c414. Maybe Sennheiser MKH80 is a candidate for cleaner and more precise sound, so far I really liked it on a big grand, but haven't managed to use it on upright yet.

The easiest thing to do is set up your mics and try to do some recordings to see what you prefer. Even with mono you should be able to get more relevant info from that than from other people on GS . That said a pair of KM84 is great to have in any case.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search