The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Louder Than Liftoff Silver Bullet vs Sonic Farm Creamer+/Creamliner Sound Enhancers & Exciters (HW)
Old 6th February 2016
Louder Than Liftoff Silver Bullet vs Sonic Farm Creamer+/Creamliner

I'm considering to get one of these boxes.
I realize these are different topologies altogether though both can be seen as color/conditioning pieces, so I guess it may be worth it making a comparison.

Any good fella lucky enough to own both willing to share their thoughts?

Cheers
Andy
Old 8th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyisdead View Post
I'm considering to get one of these boxes.
I realize these are different topologies altogether though both can be seen as color/conditioning pieces, so I guess it may be worth it making a comparison.

Any good fella lucky enough to own both willing to share their thoughts?

Cheers
Andy
I don't know anything about the Silver Bullet but judging from their manual it is a solid state unit. This is not necessarily better or worse than using tubes, it really depends on the way harmonics are generated and added to the signal and so create the mentioned "Mojo".

Creamer Plus and Creamliner use the natural non-linear characteristic of a pentode, and the design around it preserves it by keeping the gain stage feedback-free. Input and output transformers add "weight" and "mass" to the sound.
Both units (C+ and CL) impart very small amounts of non-linearity or pleasing distortion to the input signal that are common to mastering studio demands, and this can't even be called saturation.

Hope that helps.
Old 8th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztjangle View Post
I don't know anything about the Silver Bullet but judging from their manual it is a solid state unit. This is not necessarily better or worse than using tubes, it really depends on the way harmonics are generated and added to the signal and so create the mentioned "Mojo".

Creamer Plus and Creamliner use the natural non-linear characteristic of a pentode, and the design around it preserves it by keeping the gain stage feedback-free. Input and output transformers add "weight" and "mass" to the sound.
Both units (C+ and CL) impart very small amounts of non-linearity or pleasing distortion to the input signal that are common to mastering studio demands, and this can't even be called saturation.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply ztjangle.

Considering what you just said and in a true GS style I think I'm gonna need both machines!!
My bank account is going to beg for mercy!

Cheers,
Andy
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

Creamer+ will do everything that the Creamliner will, but also gives you a pair of fantastic preamps. Built like a tank as well.

Haven't used the Silver Bullet, but I'm sure it is great also.
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

I actually have multiple SB's - they're really great suffice it to say...(there's plenty of info on them here at GS)

That's not why I posted here - I'm interested in the Creamliner or possibly the Black Box Analog Design HG-2...any thoughts?
Has anyone compared the two?
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

Would you think the Creamliner would be more effective to get PHAT sound than a pair of 1073 clone??
Thanks
Regards
Sergio
Old 8th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyisdead View Post
Thanks for your reply ztjangle.

Considering what you just said and in a true GS style I think I'm gonna need both machines!!
My bank account is going to beg for mercy!

Cheers,
Andy
Well, at least the beaten up Canadian Dollar will help soften the blow a bit. (All our prices are in CAD).
Cheers,
Zoran ("ztjangle")

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Would you think the Creamliner would be more effective to get PHAT sound than a pair of 1073 clone??
Thanks
Regards
Sergio
The Creamliner has only line inputs. Creamer Plus in addition has 2 mic preamps. Please go to our website for audio samples.
The answer to your question may be a no-brainer to me, but you should hear it from our users who have compared the two. There's a GS thread that talks about the Creamer vs Neve 1073 vs Avalon 737. Check it out.

Last edited by ztjangle; 8th February 2016 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Added more info
Old 9th February 2016
Lives for gear

If you're in the U.S., it's a great time to buy some Sonic Farm equipment to grow your studio.

1.00 USD = 1.39367 CAD
Old 9th February 2016
Lives for gear

Oh man, I've been lusting after a Creamer for years! That thing is so badass. I actually contacted Zoran about picking one up a few years ago and was so close to pulling the trigger, but I didn't have the cash because I needed to invest it in my own business which was pouring money into the Silver Bullet development at the time. If I hadn't been able to resist Zoran's exquisite design, we might not have finished the Silver Bullet in any reasonable timeframe. Ha.

All I can say is that I really want a Creamer so I can put it in the insert loop of my Silver Bullet. That would be rather slutty. And oh so right.

By all means, get the Creamer, especially while the exchange rate is favorable! And then call me and tell me what I'm missing.

cheers,
Brad
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
All I can say is that I really want a Creamer so I can put it in the insert loop of my Silver Bullet. That would be rather slutty. And oh so right.

By all means, get the Creamer, especially while the exchange rate is favorable! And then call me and tell me what I'm missing.

cheers,
Brad
...Brad, dude (I mean commander Brad) - you know I'm sort of under your spell

Hi Zoran,

What would be the better option for buss/stem duties, the Creamer+ or the Creamliner?
What are the main appreciable sonic differences between the two? (other than the Creamer+ having preamps)

I'm more inclined to go with the Creamer+ at this point...
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
...Brad, dude (I mean commander Brad) - you know I'm sort of under your spell

Hi Zoran,

What would be the better option for buss/stem duties, the Creamer+ or the Creamliner?
What are the main appreciable sonic differences between the two? (other than the Creamer+ having preamps)

I'm more inclined to go with the Creamer+ at this point...

I'm not Zoran, but the only difference, from what I understand, are the preamps and DI's on the Creamer+. Sonically the same when using the line inputs.
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

So there's 3 similar versions? Creamer, Creamer+ and Creamliner?
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
So there's 3 similar versions? Creamer, Creamer+ and Creamliner?
Creamer is the dual preamp unit, Creamer+ is the same but also has line inputs, and the Creamliner does not have the preamps (line level only).
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I'm not Zoran, but the only difference, from what I understand, are the preamps and DI's on the Creamer+. Sonically the same when using the line inputs.
I do notice these differences as well on the Creamer+ vs Creamliner:

-Gain Boost

-HPF

-Attenuation Switch

I could be wrong, but surely these functionalities will have an effect on sound/gain staging, no?
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do notice these differences as well on the Creamer+ vs Creamliner:

-Gain Boost

-HPF

-Attenuation Switch

I could be wrong, but surely these functionalities will have an effect on sound/gain staging, no?
Ah, missed that, sorry. Hopefully Zoran can clarify.
Old 20th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Man I was all set to order a creamer+ but then I came across the silver bullet and I'm having serious issues deciding which to pull he trigger on! With the CAD$ down right now they come out about the same price. I like the eq on the silver bullet but the DI's on the creamer+ would be such a bonus.
I Would love if a creamer owner would run some of those silverbullet audio examples on their site through the creamer to get a sense of how it sounds in comparison.
I have a feeling both of these boxes will be winners but I'm definitely gonna lose a couple nights sleep over this decision.
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

I have worked with both Silver Bullet and the Creamliner II

and this is personal, and subjective

but I strongly prefer the sound characteristic of the AIR on the Silver Bullet (over the Creamliner II)

and the Vintage tone option (a button) on the Silver Bullet is great sounding too.

and I prefer the overall sound possibilities of the Silver Bullet over the " pleasing distortion" (etc) options the Creamliner II has.

just my 2c.

Last edited by mixerguy; 20th March 2016 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: clarification.
Old 23rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchillak View Post
Man I was all set to order a creamer+ but then I came across the silver bullet and I'm having serious issues deciding which to pull he trigger on! With the CAD$ down right now they come out about the same price. I like the eq on the silver bullet but the DI's on the creamer+ would be such a bonus.
I Would love if a creamer owner would run some of those silverbullet audio examples on their site through the creamer to get a sense of how it sounds in comparison.
I have a feeling both of these boxes will be winners but I'm definitely gonna lose a couple nights sleep over this decision.
Both are great tools so I can appreciate your dilemna. Just to make your decision a little more difficult... I'm going to have units in stock available for immediate shipping as of Friday.

Thanks for the kind words, @ mixerguy ! My favorite EQ setting for mixing is Sub + Air. I tend to just start with the knobs at about 2 o'clock and begin the mix. Engaging the EQ section seems to add a nice 3D depth even with the knobs set flat. When you add in Vintage you get a very smooth yet open analog top end, which is really polished sounding.

I still want a Creamliner for my studio...

Brad
Old 24th March 2016
Lives for gear

...OK, this is embarrassingly Gearsluttish, I just got a Creamer+.

First of all, it's a wonderful unit - really heavy and deep (really deep!), and feels well built and solid.
Most importantly, it sounds wonderful. It imparts a very unique sonic signature; it's hard to quantify in words or description, but for lack of better ones, to me anything that passes through there is more snap and sizzle, more hair, goo...a very definite presence.

I think it is a wonderfully complementary unit to the Silver Bullet. They are very different in many ways, among them, how they sound: to me if the SB is velvet, then the C+ is bacon (could be visa-versa for some). They both bring a certain umami to the sonic flavor profile, but do so from different tacts. The EQ's bear that out to a certain extent - whereas the SB polishes from the extremes of the spectrum, the C+ has on/off fixed Low/high frequency shelving boost starting at 400 or 600Hz/2.2 or 7kHz - more of a gut punch in the middle areas. It's almost as though they're meant to work together, and boy do they sound good together!

It'd be hard to choose between one or the other in that they're very different, both in function and the philosophy/intent of the design. I guess if you had to choose, you'd have to weigh the factors of functionality and its sonics - really apples to oranges in many ways.

To me the SB is more versatile, mostly in that its sound is less pronounced and neutral than the C+ - not a good or bad thing at all, it's just a subjective take on my part, as certain applications one might be preferable over the other. To me the C+ is more immediately discernible - once again not a good or bad thing - it just has a very noticeable footprint.

...one more thing that I hear - with the SB, I hear the image being widened, and the C+ I hear it tightened. More food for the thought of using them together for some things.
Old 24th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Both are great tools so I can appreciate your dilemna. Just to make your decision a little more difficult... I'm going to have units in stock available for immediate shipping as of Friday.

Thanks for the kind words, @ mixerguy ! My favorite EQ setting for mixing is Sub + Air. I tend to just start with the knobs at about 2 o'clock and begin the mix. Engaging the EQ section seems to add a nice 3D depth even with the knobs set flat. When you add in Vintage you get a very smooth yet open analog top end, which is really polished sounding.

I still want a Creamliner for my studio...

Brad
Well Brad, you actually made my decision easier. SB purchased! Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks!
Old 24th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
...OK, this is embarrassingly Gearsluttish, I just got a Creamer+....
The link goes to a guitar pedal (with the same name) instead of the Sonic Farm Creamer Plus preamp.
So it can be totally misleading if you don't already know the unit.
Old 24th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztjangle View Post
The link goes to a guitar pedal (with the same name) instead of the Sonic Farm Creamer Plus preamp.
So it can be totally misleading if you don't already know the unit.
Not to be also confused with another non-dairy creamer:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search