The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Los Angeles Acoustician
Old 5th February 2016
Here for the gear

Los Angeles Acoustician

Hey guys. I work at an audio post production facility in LA. We're looking for someone to come out and measure the frequency response of our mix rooms and consult on standardizing them. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old 6th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaman1776 View Post
Hey guys. I work at an audio post production facility in LA. We're looking for someone to come out and measure the frequency response of our mix rooms and consult on standardizing them. Does anyone have any recommendations?
vincent van haaff

http://www.waterland.com/html/home.html
Old 6th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaman1776 View Post
If you are working in audio post in LA, call Dolby. They can arrange something/someone that may add value to your facility.
Old 6th February 2016
Lives for gear

Outside of that, Bob Hodas is the one to call for audio post rooms. George Augspurger is a close second but he has less interest in surround rooms. Hodas lives up north but comes down often -- it's best to catch him when he's coming to tune Capitol or Fox/Sony control rooms unless you want to pay all his travel fees. Hodas also tunes Abbey Road (he was heading off to there the last time I saw him to dial in the rooms after monitoring changes.)

But seriously, Dolby is nearby and, in audio post, a good place to start.
Old 6th February 2016
Lives for gear

You can give Jared at pro audio la a call. He's set up a lot of rooms for a lot of big producers and engineers.
Old 6th February 2016
Lives for gear

Do you wish to standardize them acoustically ? Or electronically ?
Both VVH & BH are tops but approach things differently.
No amount of tuning will "fix" a bad room
Old 6th February 2016
Bob Hodas.

What I learned from Bob Hodas tuning my room is that it's really not about EQ, it's about manipulating the physical space and it's amazing how big a difference can be made with small changes.

It's also amazing how screwed you can be by certain things that can't be changed.

He's the guy you want. When you listen after he's done you'll immediately realize how backwards your purchasing decisions have been.
Old 7th February 2016
I used to use Carl Yancher of Lakeside Associates back in my LA studio days. I'm not sure if he's still active.

If Bob does your room, he will probably insist on an Audio Upgrades modified Meyer CP-10 para EQ.
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

Steven Klein helped me with my room. He's based in Sherman Oaks.
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I used to use Carl Yancher of Lakeside Associates back in my LA studio days. I'm not sure if he's still active.

If Bob does your room, he will probably insist on an Audio Upgrades modified Meyer CP-10 para EQ.
Bob doesn't insist on anything these days (he'll work with what you've got) but he would suggest a Meyer Galileo, if anything, for a surround room. Not modified.
Old 8th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

He gave me a couple of options in different price ranges.
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

Sam Berkow at SIA . Inducted into the TEC Hall of Fame last year. Fixed the Hollywood Bowl, and has designed and fixed hundreds of studios and venues. Great guy.

BTW, he invented SMAART, which everybody uses to measure rooms.

SIA Acoustics - What We Do
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search