The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1073 vs Massive Passive? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 4th February 2016
Lives for gear

Neve 1073 vs Massive Passive?

Already have a 1073DPA and was going to trade in for a pair of 1073n modules, but now wondering whether to keep the DPA and buy a Massive Passive instead? Used equally in tracking and mixing, with an emphasis towards using on drums during tracking.

Cheers

Al
Old 5th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worlez View Post
Already have a 1073DPA and was going to trade in for a pair of 1073n modules, but now wondering whether to keep the DPA and buy a Massive Passive instead? Used equally in tracking and mixing, with an emphasis towards using on drums during tracking.

Cheers

Al
I have (AML) 1073s and a massive passive here. The 1073s get much more use during tracking. The massive passive is a stunning piece but very tweakable (exactly what I don't want when tracking where I just want to grab a handful of knob and twist it.) During mixing the MP lives on my mixbus. YMMV of course!
Old 5th February 2016
Gear Guru

Neve 10XX series w/ API eq's on drums all day.
MP is nice on kick too.
Old 5th February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have (AML) 1073s and a massive passive here. The 1073s get much more use during tracking. The massive passive is a stunning piece but very tweakable (exactly what I don't want when tracking where I just want to grab a handful of knob and twist it.) During mixing the MP lives on my mixbus. YMMV of course!
Personally, I'm very used to using the MP during tracking. I love it because it just doesn't sound like a filter. I rarely think I'm making a mistake when turning a knob, only exploring another possibility. It can certainly shape your sound more than what you want. Sometimes I only use one band, or just the HPF or LPF.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search