The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Heritage MCM-8 -- any users? Summing Mixers
Old 4th February 2016
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Heritage MCM-8 -- any users?

Hello friends,

Any Heritage MCM-8 users out there?

I'm looking at introducing some weight and colouration during summing, and I'm thinking that a Heritage MCM-8 filled with CAPI VP28s might be a very effective way to do so...

Curious to know people's experience, as everyone seemed to crap themselves with excitement when it was announced, but I don't think I've seen a single review of it.

Cheers!
Old 5th February 2016
  #2
Gear Nut
 
brewbacker's Avatar
 

+1
Old 5th February 2016
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
DogCake's Avatar
 

I am very curious too ... when this unit came out I made some comments with reference to its routing limitations ... and I got insulted ...

then .. apparently ... turns out .. that nobody bought it ... possible ?
Old 25th February 2016
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

Loving mine using it with api the box/ Iz radar combo.
Old 25th February 2016
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
Loving mine using it with api the box/ Iz radar combo.
Do you have the unit loaded with anything?
Old 26th February 2016
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0b0 View Post
Do you have the unit loaded with anything?
Yes it is.
Old 26th February 2016
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
Yes it is.
Care to expand? Photos?

Curious to know what you're finding works well.
Old 26th February 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
RightOnRome's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0b0 View Post
Care to expand? Photos?

Curious to know what you're finding works well.
yea! this is gearslutz for gods sake!!
Old 26th February 2016
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Heritage MCM-8 -- any users?-image.jpg  

Last edited by johnnyz; 26th February 2016 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: No photo
Old 26th February 2016
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
Here you go
Glorious! Thanks!

Ever tried other pre's (for colour/distortion) or comps?
Old 26th February 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
 
RightOnRome's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
Here you go
holy crap thats awesome
Old 28th April 2016
  #12
Gear Addict
Bump
Old 28th April 2016
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
beau's Avatar
It's also a great tool for summing guitar mics into a comp then into daw.
I've got mine filled with 2 capi vp28's, 2 igs s-type comps and a Lindell audio 77x. Totally vibing it.
Old 23rd February 2017
  #14
Here for the gear
 

I'm a little confused, been thinking about buying this but on a budget. Is each channel going through its individual module, or are the channels going through all the modules? is there a way to get 1 channel going through all the modules?
Old 24th March 2017
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsebastian View Post
I'm a little confused, been thinking about buying this but on a budget. Is each channel going through its individual module, or are the channels going through all the modules?
Each channel goes through one module. The output of that module goes to a direct out, and also to the mix bus where it is summed with signals from the other channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsebastian View Post
is there a way to get 1 channel going through all the modules?
Not without a patchbay. Of course you could run jumper XLRs from one output into the next input I suppose. I can't imagine you would ever want a signal to go through 8 500 series processors.

A question for other users: Do you have a hard time getting the VU meter to ever move? I use mine as a drum processor/submixer. When I'm getting proper level on my 500 units it never seems to be moving the mix bus meters much.
Old 1st April 2018
  #16
Gear Nut
Anyone using the MCM-8 with noise issues? The noise from this makes it unusable for me. Wondering if this is common with these units.

This screen grab shows the noise coming from the master out, with all the channels off. It persists with channels on.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
Old 2nd April 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect View Post
Anyone using the MCM-8 with noise issues? The noise from this makes it unusable for me. Wondering if this is common with these units.
They improved the noise in the MCM8 II.
Old 2nd April 2018
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect View Post
Anyone using the MCM-8 with noise issues? The noise from this makes it unusable for me. Wondering if this is common with these units.

This screen grab shows the noise coming from the master out, with all the channels off. It persists with channels on.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
Interesting! I will check with my unit later today and post what Q2 reports back.

Are you going into a slot with module and then from MCM-8 Main Out back into DAW, or how's your routing?
Old 2nd April 2018
  #19
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slogun View Post
Interesting! I will check with my unit later today and post what Q2 reports back.

Are you going into a slot with module and then from MCM-8 Main Out back into DAW, or how's your routing?
The screen grab was taken with all channels off and no modules in the slots. With channels and modules in, the noise persists. This is the noise from the master output. My baseline for my setup is typically -90dBu with white noise between 10k and 20k.

I've also moved the unit around to see if it was a power issue, tried different power conditioners, tried different cables (Mogami Gold), but the noise is pretty consistent.
Old 5th April 2018
  #20
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
They improved the noise in the MCM8 II.
Got the MCM8 II today and can confirm that it is significantly less noisy. Will try to remember to get a screenshot. Self noise floor is around -80dBu between 10k-20k, so it is far more useable than the MK1.
Old 5th April 2018
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect View Post
Got the MCM8 II today and can confirm that it is significantly less noisy. Will try to remember to get a screenshot. Self noise floor is around -80dBu between 10k-20k, so it is far more useable than the MK1.
Is there a way to upgrade the V1? I mostly use it for drum sub mixing, but the noise has kept me from using it for other things, which I would like to do.
Old 6th April 2018
  #22
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
Is there a way to upgrade the V1? I mostly use it for drum sub mixing, but the noise has kept me from using it for other things, which I would like to do.
Not sure. I only had the MK1 a short time and was still within the return window.
Old 11th April 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Arichlsss's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect View Post
Not sure. I only had the MK1 a short time and was still within the return window.
How has the MkII performed?
Old 12th April 2018
  #24
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss View Post
How has the MkII performed?
I’ve had it about a week or so, and so far no issues. It’s a pleasure to play with. I have all slots loaded with power hungry modules and have had no hiccups. The MK2 is worth the upgrade if you plan on using it a lot. For me it’s a central piece during tracking, as well as summing out of the box to incorporate some nice outboard EQing.
Old 12th April 2018
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect View Post
I’ve had it about a week or so, and so far no issues. It’s a pleasure to play with. I have all slots loaded with power hungry modules and have had no hiccups. The MK2 is worth the upgrade if you plan on using it a lot. For me it’s a central piece during tracking, as well as summing out of the box to incorporate some nice outboard EQing.
Good to know! I haven't gotten around to check the noise with my unit yet. Could you please post a screen grab like your other picture so that we can see the difference at your place? Thanks!
Old 12th April 2018
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

How’s it sound tho?
Old 14th April 2018
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Arichlsss's Avatar
I paid the diifrence and sent back the mkI for the mkII,

Had it about 40 days and Sweetwater still took care of me this.
Old 15th April 2018
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
First version sounding great here. No noise problems at all. Dig the transformer output and the “Neve-ish” UK build quality.

Those who have noise are not gainstaging correctly.
Old 16th April 2018
  #29
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
First version sounding great here. No noise problems at all. Dig the transformer output and the “Neve-ish” UK build quality.

Those who have noise are not gainstaging correctly.
I went through two MK1's. It had nothing to do with gain staging. The noise comes from the line amplifier in the master section. I tested this with all the individual channels in the off position and still had a persistent noise floor in the master bus higher than all my other gear (including the cheap stuff).

Problem solved with MK2's lower noise floor. MK2 is wonderful.
Old 16th April 2018
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Mine is silent.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump