The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Calling all Josephson 700S users
Old 4th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Calling all Josephson 700S users

Hail!.

Ok, im being bold here as to say that the Josephson 700A mic is perhaps my fav mic of all time. - IF this was my desert island mic then I'd have no problems tracking entire bands with just this.

However, I have the 700A - Im thinking the 700S might be really useful on stuff like Stereo room, or Drum rooms etc?

Would love to hear anyone who uses an S to offer feedback on this approach.
Old 5th February 2016
Gear Addict

I use the 700s in that application and I can say it excel tracking drums, bg vocals, ac guitars and strings. Though, if I were you could consider a second 700a for stereo applications.
Old 5th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
I use the 700s in that application and I can say it excel tracking drums, bg vocals, ac guitars and strings. Though, if I were you could consider a second 700a for stereo applications.
Thanks. and just as I figured. - well I was thinking to get another 700A anyway, could use them as drum overs, and use the S for the Room. (among other things obv) - the 700A just tears it up on everything Ive tried in a magical way.. although Not used this on acc guitar yet... I always record with 2 mics, so Im guessing the S will be better for that application.

Also can use the S for some great "gang" vocals, String & brass sections and anything ambient.

Just wanted to hear from others first before I invest!.
Old 5th February 2016
Gear Addict

What preamp do you like with the c700?
Old 5th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmpFactory View Post
Hail!.

Ok, im being bold here as to say that the Josephson 700A mic is perhaps my fav mic of all time. - IF this was my desert island mic then I'd have no problems tracking entire bands with just this.
Agree with this in every way.

Quote:
However, I have the 700A - Im thinking the 700S might be really useful on stuff like Stereo room, or Drum rooms etc?

Would love to hear anyone who uses an S to offer feedback on this approach.

I ended up buying a 2nd C700A. Drum overheads, ac guitar, piano, anything really I've always been more of spaced pair guy over XY. That said, I'm still thinking about eventually getting a C700S as well.
Old 5th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
What preamp do you like with the c700?
For whatever it's worth, I like Pre's with stepped gain settings for the Joe's (especially for the pair). I'm using MA5's, CAPI VP28, and a Prodigy Engineering Anima.

For some things I like a Redd.47 clone I have.
Old 5th February 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
For whatever it's worth, I like Pre's with stepped gain settings for the Joe's (especially for the pair). I'm using MA5's, CAPI VP28, and a Prodigy Engineering Anima.

For some things I like a Redd.47 clone I have.
I have a 4 ch NPNG and the c700 sounds wonderful, very in the room. But I have only pairs in diferent flavors so in stereo application the NPNG is always chosen. Though I have to try the C700 (in mono) with my others pres (HA1073, VP28).
Old 6th February 2016
Gear Maniac

I also normally prefer spaced than XY too. - but can see the advantage of a far miced room with the 700S (totally phase aligned) - more as an addition to an already closer miced room.

I use Neve Mic Pre's (1073) & Great River MP2 with the 700A. with great results.
Old 6th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
I also normally prefer spaced than XY too. - but can see the advantage of a far miced room with the 700S (totally phase aligned) - more as an addition to an already closer miced room.

I use Neve Mic Pre's (1073) & Great River MP2 with the 700A. with great results.
Yeah true, I prefer XY or MS for room mics...so that's the slutty anwer. You (we) need both!

I'm thinking the long term plan is 6xE22s for close mics, 2x 700A's for OH on 700S for a room mic...and maybe a 715 for outside kick!
Old 7th February 2016
Lives for gear
Another C700A owner. Brilliant Mic!

Been using John Hardy M1 and NPNG on mine. Both are excellent.
Old 7th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Another C700A owner. Brilliant Mic!

Been using John Hardy M1 and NPNG on mine. Both are excellent.
Ah, finally a user that has both John Hardy M1 and NPNG! Would you please be so kind to comment more comprehensively about their exact relative differences and behaviors in sound? (Make that with the C700A if you want to stay on topic.)
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Ah, finally a user that has both John Hardy M1 and NPNG! Would you please be so kind to comment more comprehensively about their exact relative differences and behaviors in sound? (Make that with the C700A if you want to stay on topic.)
Thats a tough one but here goes :-)...
I have primarily used these with Adult Contemporary Vocals and Acoustic Guitar (solo Fingerstyle and singer songwriter)...

The NPNG is just my favorite for clean sounds (GTQ2 for thicker more colored). There is a 3D quality to how the notes stand out from one another and the clarity of especially the treble (think 3kHz and up). You could say the NPNG emphasizes these but I usually think of it as that it uncovers them. That said - the M1 is in exactly the same vein but subtler. You could almost say the NPNG sounds slightly hyped in this area while the JH is more Neutral. Or you could say the NPNG is more revealing. Regardless - 95% of this can be subtlety EQ'd away too making either a perfectly fine choice.

The C700A is a much less colored mic in the high end than lets say a Flea47 or Gefell M990 (the ones I know the best for vocals especially). In a way the NPNG puts a little more of what I am used to back in the chain - resulting in less EQ-ing.
Old 8th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
NPNG now offers two mods to their pre's that provide tonal options so you can taylor them to you needs. You can read about the differences between the stock, Cadillac and Uberlux options here.
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Thats a tough one but here goes :-)...
I have primarily used these with Adult Contemporary Vocals and Acoustic Guitar (solo Fingerstyle and singer songwriter)...

The NPNG is just my favorite for clean sounds (GTQ2 for thicker more colored). There is a 3D quality to how the notes stand out from one another and the clarity of especially the treble (think 3kHz and up). You could say the NPNG emphasizes these but I usually think of it as that it uncovers them. That said - the M1 is in exactly the same vein but subtler. You could almost say the NPNG sounds slightly hyped in this area while the JH is more Neutral. Or you could say the NPNG is more revealing. Regardless - 95% of this can be subtlety EQ'd away too making either a perfectly fine choice.

The C700A is a much less colored mic in the high end than lets say a Flea47 or Gefell M990 (the ones I know the best for vocals especially). In a way the NPNG puts a little more of what I am used to back in the chain - resulting in less EQ-ing.
Thank you. That is information I can relate to. I have a pretty good idea of how the NPNG sounds, so now I can better imagine how these two preamps should be placed in the sea of preamps.
Old 8th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Fitz View Post
NPNG now offers two mods to their pre's that provide tonal options so you can taylor them to you needs. You can read about the differences between the stock, Cadillac and Uberlux options here.
I don't need different tonal options from NPNG. What I need is switched gain (preferably with Elma switches). But for that there is not enough room inside the box. Otherwise I would probably have purchased this preamp a long time ago.
Old 8th February 2016
Gear Maniac

OK, just figured I'd put that info out there as you asked how it sonically compared to JH pre's. My point was that now it has additional tonal options that can make it more versatile than a straight Hardy M series pre.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search