The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Channel Strip 2000-3000$
Old 29th January 2007
Here for the gear

Channel Strip 2000-3000$

I'm considering to buy one or two channels of channel strips, what I need is a versatile setup that serves the most of my needs. I usually record rock/hiphop vox, gt and bass amps, drums and some keys.

What do you think about Focusrite ISA 430mkII? I've read that some people don't like it that much and I'm asking now that what combination of gear would be more value for my money?
Old 29th January 2007

It all depends on the type of sound you are going for... There's such a wide variety of choices.

Some of my favorites are the API 7600, and new Aurora GTQC. I've used both of those with incredible results on lots of things.. But, they may or may not be the sound you are after.

What type of character (or lack thereof) are you looking for in a preamp?
Old 30th January 2007
Here for the gear

I'd like pres to be aggressive and rock enough, but not too aggressive. They should be enough smooth but not too smooth. MAybe semi coloured. Semi everything I guess Something with attitude that works well with vocals, but also with drum OHs, guitars, bass.

If I bought 2 channels of API or Aurora, is it possible to use their compressors to drum, vocal or master bus, or should I just buy bus compressors and levellers separetly? My point is that it would be cool to be able to use the same compressor in recording and also in some mix bus but I don't know is there any sense with channelstrips? You can also propose me some separate gear to handle those jobs.

There's also an mic "problem", I would like one or two voc mics to handle the most of my clients needs. Maybe one smooth and bit slower, and maybe another for more rock ifluenced. (or is there anything between...?) What you think about Manley Ref-C?
Old 30th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Säätäjä View Post
Something with attitude that works well with vocals, but also with drum OHs, guitars, bass.
I think Aurora channel strip might be the best bet... considering you don't want a super aggressive preamp, or overly smooth. If you want a more aggressive flavor, just turn the input gain up and back off on the output or hit the compressor with the combination mode.

Quote:
If I bought 2 channels of API or Aurora, is it possible to use their compressors to drum, vocal or master bus, or should I just buy bus compressors and levellers separetly? My point is that it would be cool to be able to use the same compressor in recording and also in some mix bus but I don't know is there any sense with channelstrips? You can also propose me some separate gear to handle those jobs.
If you were looking at 2 channels... I would probably get separate stereo pre & compressor units. But, it's not a big deal.

Quote:
There's also an mic "problem", I would like one or two voc mics to handle the most of my clients needs. Maybe one smooth and bit slower, and maybe another for more rock ifluenced. (or is there anything between...?) What you think about Manley Ref-C?
My two main vocal mics are the Peluso 47 LE & 251.. I feel like they give me a dramatic difference in color and character. Almost opposite flavors. One is bright, modern & airy. The other is warm & full bodied.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

The new Neve 8801 looks pretty cool. Plus USB interface for recall !! - very interesting

Quote:

What do you think about Focusrite ISA 430mkII? I've read that some people don't like it that much and I'm asking now that what combination of gear would be more value for my money?
I have a couple of ISA 430 mk 1, Snoop Dogg was in last week using them on vocals ... it was enough attitude for him

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search