The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's up with King's X?
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

What's up with King's X?

King's X has been at WireWorld since Saturday, January 28, working on their follow up to OGRETONES, and no doubt dazzling participants in Michael's latest workshop.

So how's it going???????

Where's the pictures?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah! c'mon!
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

As I remember last year their recording at Wireworld, must have one of the years best threads!!!!

Michael never ceases to amaze.

Bring it on!!! : )
Old 30th January 2007
High End Moderator

Hey everybody.

Yes we are flying along. The workshop and the intense recording sessions are keeping me very occupied. We set up drums on Saturday and the day ended with a line check, fortunately everything worked. Sunday we got drum sounds (1 1/2 hours) then set up for guitar and bass and tracked the first 2 songs. Pictures follow (forgot my camera at the studio). The new songs are absolutely great. Today we got 4 more recorded, the guys were on a roll. I'm pretty pooped right now and ready to get some sleep.

I'll post some pictures in the next few days.
Old 30th January 2007
I CAN'T WAIT!!!

That was one of the best threads ever.

Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

Say it ain't so!

At the "Mother of all Workshops" Ty had to be persuaded not to use a Pod.

And now I hear from my inside spy that Doug is using a Berhinger product in his signal chain!

What is it's function, and is there not a better tool for the job?
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Uh-oh!

maybe just for pretty lights?
Old 31st January 2007
High End Moderator

Ok, the first few pictures.

Drum setup. Notice that I am using only two MicKing stands from Latchlake for most the drum mics, great system.

Somebody got a "B" endorsement. We are using the Behringer for the low end of the bass. The distorted midrange goes through the Ashdown and the Di goes into the prototype of the MW1. Gil was so nice to send me a Tonelux rack to check out, which I will do soon. You can also see the JM130 mic pre from JMKAudio (under the Tonelux rack), a very clean natural sounding mic pre which is handling the Overheads on this session.

And finally for today the Randall RM20 which goes really well with Ty's "old" super Strat:

More later
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

So you're using the RM20 for the bulk of the guitar tones then are you Michael? Are you liking this more than the RM4?
Which module gets the most workout?

Last edited by Prickstein; 31st January 2007 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: I can't spell and Michael can and English is my first language.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
... Somebody got a "B" endorsement. We are using the Behringer for the low end of the bass. The distorted midrange goes through the Ashdown and the Di goes into the prototype of the MW1. ...
Hey Michael,

I'm not sure I got this right, are you talking about Dug?
Damn, you're gonna record his bass through a Behringer, it's gonna sound amazing and I'll be forced to buy that damn piece of junk!!

Thanks for the update!! Please keep them coming...
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Wot?? No double stereo SVT and Traynor?
Attached Thumbnails
What's up with King's X?-dougsrig4x.jpg  
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Michael you need some more cables on the floor, I can still see the carpet...
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

LOL heh

---

What are the Yellow B-word pedals? (Boss super OD clones?) --- And is that a DigiTech Bad Monkey I spy there too? (the green pedal) --- As you can see I'm bored of looking at slutty rack gear: Only interested in cheap pedals

BTW still on the subject of B-Word, I'd be interested to hear your opinion of the Electro harmonix Deluxe Memory Man clone they're bringing out, if dUg has brought one along (analog & true bypass)
Old 31st January 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickstein View Post
So you're using the RM20 for the bulk of the guitar tones then are you Michael? Are you liking this more than the RM4?
Which module gets the most workout?
I absolutely love that little amp. Ty is using it with his XTC module right now for the basic rhythm tracks while we're tracking drums. We might replace some stuff later with the RM4 or add other sounds to it.
Old 31st January 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Hey Michael,

. . . it's gonna sound amazing and I'll be forced to buy that damn piece of junk!!
... and invite dUg over to play the tracks heh

dUg worked on the demos using this setup, so we start with what he worked out. It doesn't mean we won't replace sounds later. All of Ty's and dUg's track are recorded DI as well, so we can go back at any point and realamp them again.
Old 31st January 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
LOL heh

---

What are the Yellow B-word pedals? (Boss super OD clones?) --- And is that a DigiTech Bad Monkey I spy there too? (the green pedal) --- As you can see I'm bored of looking at slutty rack gear: Only interested in cheap pedals

BTW still on the subject of B-Word, I'd be interested to hear your opinion of the Electro harmonix Deluxe Memory Man clone they're bringing out, if dUg has brought one along (analog & true bypass)
The yellow pedals are EQs which dUg uses to divide his bass into hi and low frequencies. The low end goes through the Behringer and the hi frequencies go through the Ashdown amp and into a Randall 4x12 guitar cab which I record from the direct out of the cab. I'm not sure if there will be any more Behringer gear used except for the initial bass tracks I think that is all he brought.
Old 31st January 2007
Jai guru deva om

Hey Michael, will the Safe Sound P1 be used on their album?

War
Old 31st January 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Hey Michael, will the Safe Sound P1 be used on their album?

War
Yes
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Nut

Michael, when you refer to Ty's "old" super Strats, are you talking about his 80s Elites?

I finally broke down and bought one last year and I'm working on tones with it. Great guitar.
Old 31st January 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_skul View Post
Michael, when you refer to Ty's "old" super Strats, are you talking about his 80s Elites?

I finally broke down and bought one last year and I'm working on tones with it. Great guitar.
Yes, the Elite has to be the Holy Grail of Strats
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Ty used to comment about how noisy the electronics were on those... is it something you can put up with or has he had them modded?

Saw a Tele elite the other day in Denmark street London (no tthe cheapest place to buy gear) Man, it was like £900
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Somebody got a "B" endorsement. We are using the Behringer for the low end of the bass. The distorted midrange goes through the Ashdown and the Di goes into the prototype of the MW1.

It doesn't mean we won't replace sounds later. All of Ty's and dUg's track are recorded DI as well, so we can go back at any point and realamp them again.

Slick! So "B" gets bragging rights without causing too much collateral damage.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, the Elite has to be the Holy Grail of Strats

i use a 1984 sunburst stratocaster elite as my main axe for more than 20 years , it's an awesome guitar... i bought it brand new in 1984.... i wish i could buy a couple more... i found some on ebay, but they're are really hard to find... BTW it's the only gear i have listed in my GS profile... i love that guitar!
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for sharing these sessions, as well as your awesome expertise throughout these forums.

I see what looks like a fully populated SCA CH01 chassis under the Tonelux & JM130 racks. If you manage to get any spare time heh , I would really appreciate if you could describe the modules in use, and what will be running through them?
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Gimme a Skinny or Gimme a Fat
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

"To be a B man"
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

ozone disapperaing in the sky
bud man asking us why ask why
if I could find my magazine this bug would die
I complain
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Sometime, I want to give
Sometime, I want to take
Sometime, I want to run
Sometime, I want to stay.
Sometime, sometime, sometime, sometime.
Sometime, I want to love
Sometime, I want to hate
Sometime, I want to build
Sometime, I want to break
Sometime, sometime, sometime, sometime.
Sometime, I want to live
Sometime, I want to die
Sometime, I want to believe
Sometime, I want to get high and fly.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

bottom line is is kings X is the best fuc*ing band ever
Old 1st February 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Yes
You just made my day.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you have planned for it?

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search