The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's up with King's X?
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Maniac

Wow, I remember being on tour with Frank Marino back in the mid nineties and when we got to Texas I was literaly going through the phone book looking for 'Tabor'!! haha
Really loved the band back then. Haven't listened to them in awhile though...
Old 22nd April 2008
Here for the gear

Mp3 samples on Amazon

Here
Old 22nd April 2008
Gear Maniac

"somebody hit stop!!!!" - mw.

'no lie.'

thanks michael, had a lot of fun that day! sorry for drumming on my knees!

an album well worth the wait!
Old 22nd April 2008
High End Moderator

Thanx for the link Elnico50.

It is really weird just hearing those little snippets of the songs. I mean you can get an idea of what it kinda sounds like, but the songs really come alive from the dynamic that builds up during the song, and here it gets cut off right when the next bigger part should come in, especially on "Move", one of my favs on this album.

Well, I guess it's "just" one more month.
Old 4th May 2008
Here for the gear

Yeah I can imagine it must be annoying to hear those 30 sec snippets in low bitrate on Amazon......still the songs sound incredible so I can't wait until I can crank the real ones through my stereo. Or better yet get my sound guy friends to crank it though their PAs in between sets at gigs

thumbsup
Old 4th May 2008
High End Moderator

16 more days . . .

I got a pre-release copy and Ty did an amazing job on the sequencing and mastering.
Old 9th May 2008
Gear Nut

They posted "Move" on their myspace page. I can't wait to get my disk. (been ordered for a couple weeks)

Sounds great Michael! It must have been fun recording them.

Any stories?thumbsup
Old 11th May 2008
Here for the gear

I must have played those two tracks a thousand times. If they sound that good at 96kbs crappy myspace quality imagine the real deal. 9 days to go
Old 11th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnico50 View Post
If they sound that good at 96kbs crappy myspace quality imagine the real deal. 9 days to go
128kbps*
Old 16th May 2008

I didn't realize until today that Michael Wagener hang's out here, and shares his experience with King's X to boot!!! Yet ANOTHER forum to chew into what little time I have these days.....

The snippets at Amazon.com sound cool!
Old 17th May 2008
High End Moderator

Here's some more...

the brand new KING's X Widget
Old 17th May 2008
Here for the gear

I got the album

I bought it from Itunes

There's a slight problem though with the Itunes version....lots of bad clicks and pops throughout the whole album, which has happened with albums I've bought from them before.

I notified them so they better fix it! In the meantime I'll wait for my Amazon copy.

Anyway the songs sound amazing, you did such a great job Michael. Sounds so MASSIVE! So punchy and the whole thing is insanely SICK.

I think my fave is the title track so far. Like HOLY SH#T man!!!! I'm moshing so hard Im scaring my cat!

stikeheh
Old 17th May 2008
Gear Addict

Just got my tickets to see King's X with Extreme in July.

You could say that I'm a little bit psyched.
Old 18th May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
Here's some more...

the brand new KING's X Widget
Very cool!!!

www.arkamps.com
Old 19th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnico50 View Post
I bought it from Itunes

There's a slight problem though with the Itunes version....lots of bad clicks and pops throughout the whole album, which has happened with albums I've bought from them before.

I notified them so they better fix it! In the meantime I'll wait for my Amazon copy.
After reading your post I just listened to the iTunes snippets, those also have clicks and pops all over the examples! This sucks as I intended to buy it from there as well.

How did you notify them? And whom did you notify? Apple or the record label?

I don't see any contact info, but would like to bug them about it as well.

Judging from the snippets it's a great sounding record!

EDIT: I FOUND THE SUPPORT PAGE AND SEND AN EMAIL!
Old 19th May 2008
Lives for gear

Michael, since this was bumped up I wanted to ask. I'm looking to buy one of those randall set ups and I was wondering. You said the small combo with one speaker was pretty good. Is it really as good as buying the preamp and power amp and running it? I'm talking sound only, not options wise (I know you run dual preamps into the power amp and do it stereo).
Old 19th May 2008
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Michael, since this was bumped up I wanted to ask. I'm looking to buy one of those randall set ups and I was wondering. You said the small combo with one speaker was pretty good. Is it really as good as buying the preamp and power amp and running it? I'm talking sound only, not options wise (I know you run dual preamps into the power amp and do it stereo).
The little RM20 has a definite "combo amp" tone, which is great for some stuff, but based on the 15W power amp and the small cab, it doesn't have a ton of balls. If you are looking for a full range studio setup I would go with the RM4 and the RT/250 power amp.
Old 19th May 2008
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
After reading your post I just listened to the iTunes snippets, those also have clicks and pops all over the examples! This sucks as I intended to buy it from there as well.

you guys got me worried. Do you hear the clicks in the samples of the Widget?
Old 19th May 2008

Quote:
I didn't notice any clicks or pops...
Old 20th May 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post

Yeah the record sounds unbelievable. Already the songs are sinking into my consciousness (wtf!)....there's a bunch of songs where the first time I heard them I just got right into them and cranked them up like "Pray", "Alright" and "Go Tell Somebody".....then there's a couple there that are starting to sneak up on me like "Blue" and "Julie".

WHen you buy anything from Itunes that has a problem with it, you report it in your account section.

I doubt it's anything to do with the record company as I've had this happen with Itunes stuff before. They give you a refund, but I would rather they just FIX it so I don't have to wait for Amazon to ship it to me.
Old 20th May 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Nah there's none there int the widget or in the Amazon samples. It's definitely an Itunes problem
Old 20th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I auditioned the songs at the store tab in the iTunes player.

I got a reply from Apple that they are aware of it and it will be fixed in a week or so.
Old 20th May 2008
High End Moderator

I just checked the master and it's clean, got me scared there for a moment

It's out today!!!
Old 20th May 2008
Gear Nut

Any fun stories from the sessions?

Old 21st May 2008
High End Moderator

Well, just working with the guys is a lot of fun in itself. I love it when you suggest something to the musicians and they play it right away without having to practice it: "You mean like this?". I can't think of any particular story that stands out, I'm just enjoying my "job"
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

That song "Alright" is stuck in my head, bad. Gonna have to buy this record right away to get rid of it. heh

Way to go Michael, outstanding work, as usual!
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Michael, do you have any other power amps you could suggest or do you think the Randall is the best selection?

I'm thinking of going out and buying this CD just to buy it. Have never listened to Kings X before hearing a few myspace snippets after reading these threads about them.
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

I´ve been listening to "Move" on the myspace site. Man, it sounded big
on those crappy laptop speakers!

Dug is such a soulful singer! (and the band grooves like hell)

Outstanding piece of work in today´s market!
Old 21st May 2008
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Michael, do you have any other power amps you could suggest or do you think the Randall is the best selection?

I'm thinking of going out and buying this CD just to buy it. Have never listened to Kings X before hearing a few myspace snippets after reading these threads about them.
For the MTS series the RT2/50 is the way to go IMO. The use of two different kind of powetubes (brilliant idea) gives you a bunch of different tones, especially if you use different speakers with the amp. Also, compare to the poweramp in the 100W head, the RT 2/50 has lots more balls.
Old 21st May 2008
Gear Maniac

I just bought it from amazon mp3 and it sounds good. They say its encoded in 256 kps but it still doesn't quite sound like it is. Its a little dark compared to the other versions I have heard online. Maybe its just me, but I love the record. I have been listening to KX since 1990.

Jason

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search