The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's up with King's X?
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

I know where you live

Old 17th February 2007
High End Moderator

More pictures:

Here is the guitar pre setup. On Ogretones we mostly used the TOP BOOST and the PLEXI. This time we are using a lot of different modules, but especially a Dave Friedman modified PLEXI (on top two MW-1 studitools heh and the new Portico 5016H pre with variable phase, haven't had time to check this one out yet, will do next week, report follows)

Cabinets: bottom left 4X12 Celestion G12H Anniversary; middle bottom Randall 4X12 Vintage 30s; middle top ENGL 4X12 Vintage 30s. This one is hooked up to an amazing sounding Voodoo 100W Plexi, which is so loud, I am a bit scared to put a ribbon in front of it, so I'm still looking to find the right mic for it.

Mics, from left to right R-121 (Chandler TG-2), R-121 (Chandler TG2), Sennheiser 409 (THE actual one Udo sang Balls To The Wall on) (Chandler Germanium pre), GrooveTubes Convertible (SCA A12)

..and the RM20 with the Royer R-122V/Chandler TG channel, amazing combination:

Some of the mic pres I have in to check out

Tonelux rack (sounds amazing), JM-130, a great clean but punchy pre, the new GrooveTubes SuPre (report coming up soon)

One more picture of dUg's bass setup:

And finally dUg's vocal setup. We are using the SCA N72 followed by a Distressor as a vocal chain:

This will be our setup for most of the overdubs. I have some super cool gear on the way heh heh heh , will post pictures as soon as it gets here.
Old 17th February 2007
Gear Addict

Michael, is there a specific module that gets used mostly on the RM20? (I just got mine yesterday!) And could you tell us about the Dave Friedman mod on the Plexi? I seem to be hearing his name a lot in regard to module mods for big name players but have no idea who he is. Is it available to Johnny Public like myself?
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear

Michael,
Did you check out the JM130 on vocals?
Nice pics and details...
I need a better camera...mine always come out to dark.
Also which settings on the Distressor are you using?
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear

I love the fact Udo gets a name check!!

BALLLLLS TO THE WALLLLLL
nice
Old 18th February 2007
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickstein View Post
And could you tell us about the Dave Friedman mod on the Plexi? I seem to be hearing his name a lot in regard to module mods for big name players but have no idea who he is. Is it available to Johnny Public like myself?
Dave Friedman is an LA-based guy who mods & builds all kinds of guitar related rigs...massive pedal boards, rack systems, amp mods & repairs etc. I'm pretty sure he'll work for anybody if you've got the ca$h. I think his company is called "Rack Systems"? Should be findable...
Old 18th February 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
Dave Friedman is an LA-based guy who mods & builds all kinds of guitar related rigs...massive pedal boards, rack systems, amp mods & repairs etc. I'm pretty sure he'll work for anybody if you've got the ca$h. I think his company is called "Rack Systems"? Should be findable...
I sent an email to Dave to see if he wants his contact info up here. But yes, Rack Systems Limited is his company name.
Old 18th February 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
Michael,
Did you check out the JM130 on vocals?
Nice pics and details...
I need a better camera...mine always come out to dark.
Also which settings on the Distressor are you using?
Still working on checking out all the gear that I have on loan. It's much easier to do that in a workshop than during a full on project.

For most of the pictures I use a Canon 5D camera, and some of them are shot with a Samsung NV10.

Here are the Distressor settings. The top one is on the lead vocal and hits -17 to -20 on the loud parts. The Ratio is set to 6:1
The bottom one is still set from the GrooveTubes Convertible mic on the snare. It goes through the old GrooveTubes MP1 mic pre which doesn't have an output knob, but it sounds great when slightly overloaded, so I put the Distressor after it to control the level to the converters. The bottom Distressor is on a 6:1 Ratio as well. Fletcher taught me the trick with having the Detector on LINK but don't connect a cable to the link plug on the back which will triple the DISTORTION setting, sounds cool, thanx Fletcher.
Attached Thumbnails
What's up with King's X?-distressor.jpg  
Old 18th February 2007
High End Moderator

And they say Christmas is in December...heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

I can't believe how great this stuff sounds, I'm totally stoked. More later after I wipe the drool off my mouth
Attached Thumbnails
What's up with King's X?-zenercurve.jpg  
Old 18th February 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickstein View Post
Michael, is there a specific module that gets used mostly on the RM20? (I just got mine yesterday!) And could you tell us about the Dave Friedman mod on the Plexi? I seem to be hearing his name a lot in regard to module mods for big name players but have no idea who he is. Is it available to Johnny Public like myself?
The modules change for different tracks, but most of the tracking of the basic Rgtr was done with Ty's XTC.

The PLEXI mod gives it more gain and it enhances the mid range in a very cool way. It might not sound like a PLEXI anymore but it turnes it into another great module. So if you only have one PLEXI, get another one for the mod.
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Great thread.
Old 23rd February 2007
Here for the gear

Hello Michael, thanks very much for doing this, I have been looking forward to it since I heard they were back in the studio.

Just a question about Dug's rig. Are you able to tell me what settings he is using with the Behringer? I was surprised to see this here, and it would be cool to know if he is using any cab models and such.

Oh and tell him to rock the 12er some more

Thanks again
Old 23rd February 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJamFootball View Post
Hello Michael, thanks very much for doing this, I have been looking forward to it since I heard they were back in the studio.

Just a question about Dug's rig. Are you able to tell me what settings he is using with the Behringer? I was surprised to see this here, and it would be cool to know if he is using any cab models and such.

Oh and tell him to rock the 12er some more

Thanks again
Here is the only (very bad) picture I have of the settings. I think you can make out most of it, if you have the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
What's up with King's X?-bas-settings.jpg  
Old 23rd February 2007
High End Moderator

We are in heavy overdub/vocal mode right now. With 15 songs to finish we are a bit under schedule stress.

The only new setups are the MojaveAudio MA200 for everything percussion (via the Germanium pre and EQ and a Distressor), and Fritz via the Tonelux rack (very clean and 3D sounding) for the gang backing vocals. Ty and Jerry's vocals are being recorded with the Soundelux E47 via the GrooveTubes SuPre (very clean pre but with an attitude) and the Chandler Zener compressor, which is an absolute monster, the BigFoot of compressors. thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Acoustic guitar setup coming soon with more pictures...
Old 23rd February 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks man.
Old 23rd February 2007
Gear Addict

hey toejam

good to see you back

gotta love this thread huh
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Great thread.
Just wait until you hear the record! I had the pleasure of being there while they cut the basic tracks for the first 8 songs and let me tell you - I can pretty much guarantee that this is going to be one of the best King's X records yet!!!

The songs are fantastic and Ty's guitar tone with the Elite Strat, RM20 and XTC module was killer (I'm sooo glad he is using this guitar again). I can only imagine what things are going to end up like when they are finished. It just sucks to have to wait months to hear it....

The world is truly a much better place now that King's X and Michael have joined forces.
Old 26th February 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
hey toejam

good to see you back

gotta love this thread huh
Hey dude, yeah it is awesome of Michael to do this.

I think I will be hanging around here a bit more, the Recording Forum over at Harmony Central is good, but this place is more oriented that way it seems. Great resource.
Old 1st March 2007
High End Moderator

Well, we are almost done tracking and I just found out from Ty that he never once changed strings on any of the guitars we used and that the strings on the Elite are at least 7 years old, probably older. How is that for some recording info. The guitar tracks sound amazing and they were played with 7 year old strings You think Ty's ability as a guitar player had anything to do with the tones we got? heh
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
...and I just found out from Ty that he never once changed strings on any of the guitars we used...
just heard? ty said that on satuday, where were you? heh those strings sounded good to me, i've always favored old strings. (in some tunes anyway!) ty had excellent tone, as did dug, and jerry. i don't know if you had replaced the behringer in dug's setup before i heard it, but whatever it was...it freaking rocked! thick stuff!

i enjoyed the 'many' different tones in ty's 'catsrhapsody' lead parts! that was cool! i do have one question michael: what did you call the little green headed guy in the iso/drum booth? (gang vox) he owes me a dollar!
Old 1st March 2007
Lives for gear

Hey welcome davew... Can't get into your forum for some reason!

Re guitar strings. I distinctly remeber Ty years ago saying he had to change his strings regularly cos his sweat just made them instant duds... Maybe he changed his diet? heh
Old 1st March 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
just heard? ty said that on satuday, where were you?
At the rate we're going, that was like just a minute ago heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
i do have one question michael: what did you call the little green headed guy in the iso/drum booth? (gang vox) he owes me a dollar!
That is "Fritz the head", and I think you might be waiting for a long time for that dollar heh
Old 1st March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, we are almost done tracking and I just found out from Ty that he never once changed strings on any of the guitars we used and that the strings on the Elite are at least 7 years old, probably older. How is that for some recording info. The guitar tracks sound amazing and they were played with 7 year old strings You think Ty's ability as a guitar player had anything to do with the tones we got? heh
Well, the price of strings has gone up lately. heh

If I went 7 years without restringing my guitars, I would probably have saved enough money to buy a nice guitar and maybe even an amp.

But how could they possibly stay tunable for that long?

Michael, don't tell me- when Ty plays it, it somehow stays perfectly in tune, but anybody else...
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Dunno how Ty does it... He tunes waaaay down with .009s
Old 2nd March 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
At the rate we're going, that was like just a minute ago heh
aw c'mon...you guys were 'making it happen!'

i constructed my special monitor pads today...i got no odd stares at the garden center! 'ding!' ....ROCK!
now i just need to get working on that diy subkick!

seriously, them dang tones were sounding mighty fine to me!

(i'll pm you blast 9! about the forum)
Old 3rd March 2007
Here for the gear

Hey, Michael! It's Jeremiah

I just registered. I figure maybe if I use the forums like everyone else, I won't have so many questions when I see you, lol. One question for now: how do you decide which of those guitar cabinets to use for each application and which mic configuration for each cab, amp or module? Everything is a variable, so how do you decide what to use with/for what?
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I sent an email to Dave to see if he wants his contact info up here. But yes, Rack Systems Limited is his company name.

I also have a Dave Friedman modded Plexi module (He did a SL+ and Top Boost as well) and they all sound amazing. Great guy too!
Old 3rd March 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analizemodmusic View Post
I just registered. I figure maybe if I use the forums like everyone else, I won't have so many questions when I see you, lol. One question for now: how do you decide which of those guitar cabinets to use for each application and which mic configuration for each cab, amp or module? Everything is a variable, so how do you decide what to use with/for what?
Hey Jerm

We used mainly the XTC, modified PLEXI, ULTRA XL and TOP BOOST modules, all fronted by the MW-1, which gets every last ounce of sound out of each module or amp. The main cab is a homemade 4x12 with 4 Celestion G12H Anniversary 30W speakers, run in stereo, left side 6L6 powertubes and right side EL34 powertubes. Mics are Royer R-121 and we are using the mic-eliminator (direct out) on the Randall cabs, time aligned to be in phase with the Royers. On a few tracks we used the Randall 4x12 cab with 4 Celestion Vintage 30s (60W each) with a Sennheiser 409 and the GrooveTubes Convertible. We also used a kick ass VooDoo Labs 100W Plexi model with NO mastervolume on a few tracks, through the ENGL 4x12 with Vintage 30s. That thing is crystal clear, very powerful and very loud, amazing amp. I used different mics on that one depending on what we were going for. The Randall RM20 saw a lot of use with the XTC module and the Royer R122V in front of it.

As for the decision which cab etc. to use, it's an educated guess at first then we work our way through sounds, building up on what we are hearing until we have exactly what we are going for.
Old 6th March 2007
Here for the gear

michael,
do you always double-mic toms? what does that for the sound?

patrick
Old 8th March 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickj75 View Post
michael,
do you always double-mic toms? what does that for the sound?

patrick
It depends. I did a lot of double micing toms in the 80 and 90s then went to a single mic. Fletcher brought in the Josephson 22e mics for the MOAW and we double miced the toms with great results, so now I am using that method again. It seems easier to me to get a nice fat bottom end when I have an additional mic on the bottom head, and because I reverse the polarity on the bottom mic, the combination of top and bottom mic keeps the rest of the kit a bit more out of the tom tracks. It is very important to have the bottom mic at the "right" distance, so it doesn't get boomy sounding, it's a trial and error thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search