The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Superb A/D Digital Converters
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

Superb A/D

Looking for 2 channels of A/D for some R&D I'm doing. I'm looking at Burl and Forssell currently, any other recommendations?
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

Lynx Hilo
Old 31st January 2016
The Mytek ADC 192 (different model from the older 96khz version) is outstanding and very underrated. They have a new ADC called the Brooklyn that they showed at NAMM; not sure if it's shipping yet.
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

Forssell mada adc
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Maniac

I am definately looking forward to hearing more about the mytek brooklyn. Although more channels than you need, the apogee symphony i/o mkii has new AD converters which may be worth considering.
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

TI PCM 4222 evaluation board.
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Head
Lynx Hilo
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

So far im interested in:

Forssell mada-2a adc chips getting old but discrete
Burl B2 ADC chips getting old but discrete
Lavry AD10 but it's old tech at this point?
Lavry 2-Channel ADC only 96k old ?
Mytek STEREO192 ADC discrete ?
Mytek Brooklyn ADC price ? discrete ?
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

Antelope Pure2 is another to consider. Uses dual DAC chips and AD is the TI 4222, which is probably top of the food chain right now.
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Antelope Pure2 is another to consider. Uses dual DAC chips and AD is the TI 4222, which is probably top of the food chain right now.
A bit expensive...
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

Oh I thought it was 6 grand... That's the eclipse.. Ok is the pure 2 on par with the Forssell ?

Last edited by SoZo; 31st January 2016 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: .
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

For A/D, yes. Not that the Forssell is bad...far form that.
For D/A, Forssell is still for me at the very top.
Old 1st February 2016
Gear Guru

tried them all here in my studio except the new Mytek.
The Forssell was transparent but kinda boring to me.the Pure was very clean delicate and transparent.good stereo representation.
Mytek has a little musical thing.very nice.
they're all good.
Still on the burl tip though.sounds the most musical to me..its not an analytical "spec's" thing its a gut level "feeling" thing when I'm listening to playback.
Old 1st February 2016
Gear Nut

Lynx Hilo is great, and probably the best bang for the buck out there.
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear

Benchmark ADC-1. What connectivity do you need ?
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks all...
I currently have
Apogee 16x AD DA
Apogee Mini-DAC
Apogee Track2
RME RayDat
I have one set of AES I/O left on my card
I don't feel I want to upgrade my whole rig and I don't think there is any thing out there that when I listen to that makes me feel I want or need to upgrade from what I'm aware of right now at least.
I do not want to go Mac just for the latest Apogee MkII converters that would be like 10K for which will be worth 1k in one year..
I figured I would add 2 channels of great modern conversion for super critical tracking/eq/compressing/mixdown and most importantly some capacitor testing I'm doing in some Neve Line Cards. Shhhh...
I don't know what is the right call but I have some good Preamps and outboard now so I want to do more external and maybe summing...

Pure 2 looks promising
Lynx Hilo routing is better? Sound is as good?
I think Forssell is out just too much money for just A/D and very specific sounding.
Burl in the Pure 2 GregWells test was missing an octave on the bottom but the kick drum in the clip stood out it was so real sounding.

Last edited by SoZo; 2nd February 2016 at 12:40 AM..
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
tried them all here in my studio except the new Mytek.
The Forssell was transparent but kinda boring to me.the Pure was very clean delicate and transparent.good stereo representation.
Mytek has a little musical thing.very nice.
they're all good.
Still on the burl tip though.sounds the most musical to me..its not an analytical "spec's" thing its a gut level "feeling" thing when I'm listening to playback.

Are you talking AD or DA
Old 2nd February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
Are you talking AD or DA
Both.
the DA is cleaner than the AD but still musical.
Old 2nd February 2016
BLA Sparrow.... superb it is.
Old 2nd February 2016
Forgive my ignorance,
but why does it matter if the digital chips are "getting old"?

The way they design these units, is as a "system" of AD encoding. Power supply, Clocking, chip set, filter networks, analog stages, are all an environment...
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Forgive my ignorance,

The way they design these units, is as a "system" of AD encoding. Power supply, Clocking, chip set, filter networks, analog stages, are all an environment...
Yes I agree it is a working design...

Mostly because this is a technology purchase and a total loose value on my end.
Secondly, there is no urgency with this venture and I see there are a few new converters Mytek, Apogee etcc... coming out so I don't want to buy the old version so to say.
Thirdly, I would look for second hand on older tech products.
Old 2nd February 2016
Whatever works for ya....
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

George Martin could have done wonders with a $200 Behringer converter in his heyday...just sayin'
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Forgive my ignorance,

The same reason you push apogee instead of other brands you sell. We all want the latest and greatest conversion because we ant the best we can afford, i will say that spec wise the burl AKM 5394 converter chip is long in the tooth compared to the pure2 TI4222 chip, spec wise that is.
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
George Martin could have done wonders with a $200 Behringer converter in his heyday...just sayin'
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
The same reason you push apogee instead of other brands you sell. We all want the latest and greatest conversion because we ant the best we can afford, i will say that spec wise the burl AKM 5394 converter chip is long in the tooth compared to the pure2 TI4222 chip, spec wise that is.

I do not want to say anything to make anyone doubt their decision on converters but I agree with this.

Ask yourself this... If you were buying technology, a computer, a phone, a new HD TV, or this topic, converters right now, wouldn't you do your homework and want to get the latest and greatest to hold you over for a while?
Old 3rd February 2016
I still like the HEDD
Old 3rd February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
I do not want to say anything to make anyone doubt their decision on converters but I agree with this.

Ask yourself this... If you were buying technology, a computer, a phone, a new HD TV, or this topic, converters right now, wouldn't you do your homework and want to get the latest and greatest to hold you over for a while?
Not necessarily. I would prefer to choose an item built by a respected manufacturer that has a proven track record. The whole latest & greatest slant is, imho, for suckers.

Do you really need a newer, bigger phone every two years? Is the picture on your 3 year old TV really that bad? Etc, etc, etc

Imagine buying a microphone that not only sounds beautiful but remains working and valid for decades?!

Converters in particular mystify me. There are so many great ones yet every other month some company puts out a new one that blows all others away. Get it right the first time boys.
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

At the end of the day its still a business. Converter component list vs selling price. Im sure the pure2 has cut some corners that burl didnt and vice versa. If it was just a make it right the first time type of world i think they all would have the JCF converters, havent heard them but havent seen a mediocre review of one yet.
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Yes I understand where your coming from.. But It's been a WHILE since I updated, I'm still on an iPhone 4s in the converter world so to say so I need to look at the new Google Nexus, Samsung , HTC, iPhone 7...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search