The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Superb A/D
Old 14th February 2016
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Ribbonmicguy's Avatar
Just did an a/d shootout about 3 weeks ago.

1. Avid 8x8x8
2. Forssell MADA
3. Lavry Gold
4. UA 2192
5. Burl Mothership

Blindshoot, I picked Forssell #1 and Burl a close second.
Old 14th February 2016
  #62
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
Lynx Hilo and Mytek Stereo192 ADC have already been mentioned. Both excellent AD-converters, each in their own way:

The Mytek has a tendency to accentuate the sonic texture. This is great if you want a more grippy sound when the mix is a bit unclear and you can't get the veil off it. It does however bring in the danger of making certain tones a little raspy. Sharp transients of high notes will get more "pling", which can easily result in more piercing highs, or "hardness".

The Hilo has a slightly more smooth character, which can help to retain a friendliness to a mix. Overall it's pretty natural in tone.

In addition to the above suggestions I would like to offer another option: Lake People F444. This is a top converter that few people know of. It is extremely neutral in frequency response, but has a very particular smoothness, making it sound very natural, with silky smooth highs the way our ears hear them in reality. No glassyness or synthetic aspects are added to the sound. "Analog" and therefore "musical" character come to mind, but without "color". Resolution is very good, wideness too, but dynamics are all effortless. There are no sudden spikes sticking out, like most converters will give you. You know these last few maximum dB's that suddenly seem to break through the roof? Not so with the F444. This converter has been in production for a number of years, although over time it has been gradually updated inside with further refinements in the analog front end. The AD-chip used is CS5381, the same one that is found in many top converters (Forssell, Prism ADA8, Hilo). A very interesting, very affordable converter of highest sonic quality.
Old 31st March 2016
  #63
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
In addition to the above suggestions I would like to offer another option: Lake People F444. This is a top converter that few people know of. It is extremely neutral in frequency response, but has a very particular smoothness, making it sound very natural, with silky smooth highs the way our ears hear them in reality. No glassyness or synthetic aspects are added to the sound. "Analog" and therefore "musical" character come to mind, but without "color". Resolution is very good, wideness too, but dynamics are all effortless. There are no sudden spikes sticking out, like most converters will give you. You know these last few maximum dB's that suddenly seem to break through the roof? Not so with the F444. This converter has been in production for a number of years, although over time it has been gradually updated inside with further refinements in the analog front end. The AD-chip used is CS5381, the same one that is found in many top converters (Forssell, Prism ADA8, Hilo). A very interesting, very affordable converter of highest sonic quality.
Hi Earcatcher,
there is even an ADC RS04 converter. Do you know what they mean with analog input stage and the 128dB signal preparation before the conversion? Is this like a Burl? My idea is to buy a RME UC and combine this with my Hifi DAC for Headphones which has unreal DA.
Thanks
Old 31st March 2016
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaci View Post
Hi Earcatcher,
there is even an ADC RS04 converter. Do you know what they mean with analog input stage and the 128dB signal preparation before the conversion? Is this like a Burl? My idea is to buy a RME UC and combine this with my Hifi DAC for Headphones which has unreal DA.
Thanks
The analog circuitry in the ADC RS04 is exactly the same as in the F444, with a dynamic range bigger than the AD converter itself. The analog path is most decisive for the sound of a converter, as the chips themselves all sound the same (when they are of the same type). The only addition the RS04 has (insertable into in the analog path) is a soft limiter to avoid clipping. It also has more output options, so this is a great table top two channel AD-converter that can be used by people who have difficulty handling AES only. No need of an RME UC in that case, as you could use USB directly into your computer.

The analog path of a Burl is made to have a specific sound, with transformers and all. The analog path of the Lake people is made to have no sound of its own at all. Interestingly this results in a "sound" that seems very analog as it is just very close to real.
Old 31st March 2016
  #65
Gear Head
 
braynz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
The analog circuitry in the ADC RS04 is exactly the same as in the F444, with a dynamic range bigger than the AD converter itself. The analog path is most decisive for the sound of a converter, as the chips themselves all sound the same (when they are of the same type). The only addition the RS04 has (insertable into in the analog path) is a soft limiter to avoid clipping. It also has more output options, so this is a great table top two channel AD-converter that can be used by people who have difficulty handling AES only. No need of an RME UC in that case, as you could use USB directly into your computer.

The analog path of a Burl is made to have a specific sound, with transformers and all. The analog path of the Lake people is made to have no sound of its own at all. Interestingly this results in a "sound" that seems very analog as it is just very close to real.
I currently have an RME UFX which I use as my primary interface. I record a bunch of analog synths through it, and use it to send my mix through an outboard compressor. I also use it as a DAC for my Opals and Amphions.

I was wondering if I should add a converter to improve the sound quality of the music coming out of my speakers as well as the quality of the synths going in?

I don't feel like the RME is bad, but I have never heard any of these "High end" converters in real life. I have heard some demo's and the change seems pretty insignificant for the amount of money you are paying for an upgrade.

Please school me on this subject. Let me know if its more than a 1-2% increase in fidelity for thousands of dollars more, or if its a necessity in order to have the best quality sounds coming in and out of my computer.
Old 31st March 2016
  #66
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

I personally feel that AD is critical to any good front end, ive said this since back in the days if you look up my posts from way back, when everyone was saying it was that important. Yes get the best converters you can afford
Old 31st March 2016
  #67
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbonmicguy View Post
Just did an a/d shootout about 3 weeks ago.

1. Avid 8x8x8
2. Forssell MADA
3. Lavry Gold
4. UA 2192
5. Burl Mothership

Blindshoot, I picked Forssell #1 and Burl a close second.
i have heared all of these except the forssell. im sure its amazing. but pricewise it just did not make sense for a multichannel setup feeding a desk. so i ended up with a mothership and im super happy.
Old 31st March 2016
  #68
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Yeah mastering guys seem to dig the Forssell a lot.
I tried it. personally thought it was very good but a bit clinical,sterile for my needs.
Old 31st March 2016
  #69
Gear Head
 

EMM Labs Meitner design: EMM Labs - ADC8 MkIV Multichannel Analog to Digital Converter

Shurely excellent high end
Old 31st March 2016
  #70
Lives for gear
 
SoZo's Avatar
All bets here are currently off until I hear the new Apogee Symphony MKII.
Old 31st March 2016
  #71
has anybody heard the symphony mkii converters? and how they sound?
Old 31st March 2016
  #72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
All bets here are currently off until I hear the new Apogee Symphony MKII.
exactly what im thinking
Old 31st March 2016
  #73
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Why arent people buying them? No one is doing TB?
Old 1st April 2016
  #74
Lives for gear
 
SoZo's Avatar
I don't think the new MKII cards are shipping fully yet.
Old 1st April 2016
  #75
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
I don't think the new MKII cards are shipping fully yet.
I think the TB has been out for a month, HD will be late in April, and no idea about soundgrid
Old 1st April 2016
  #76
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by braynz View Post
I currently have an RME UFX which I use as my primary interface. I record a bunch of analog synths through it, and use it to send my mix through an outboard compressor. I also use it as a DAC for my Opals and Amphions.

I was wondering if I should add a converter to improve the sound quality of the music coming out of my speakers as well as the quality of the synths going in?

I don't feel like the RME is bad, but I have never heard any of these "High end" converters in real life. I have heard some demo's and the change seems pretty insignificant for the amount of money you are paying for an upgrade.

Please school me on this subject. Let me know if its more than a 1-2% increase in fidelity for thousands of dollars more, or if its a necessity in order to have the best quality sounds coming in and out of my computer.
The law of diminishing returns is very valid for converters. And I'm sure that in some cases pricing mechanisms like we see in HiFi are at work. These factors make it very difficult to know where your optimum point on the graph is located. I personally feel that Mytek, Hilo and Lake People are located in the sweet spot of ADC's. Above their price levels the improvement is not enough for me to go there with my money. And in some cases the more expensive converters aren't even better at all, but worse. For you the sweet spot might be exactly where you are with the UFX, who knows? So, in order to get a better idea you should do some testing and judging for yourself. All I can do is give you some pointers based on my own experience and expectation frame.
Old 1st April 2016
  #77
Lives for gear
 
SoZo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
I think the TB has been out for a month, HD will be late in April, and no idea about soundgrid
Pfttt... Sound Grid.... Yea lots waiting to see that show.... LOL
Old 1st April 2016
  #78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
Why no mention for Prism Lyra ?
Not many here have used it, I bet.

Also, being that it's as good as they get, the conversation would no longer have to go on and on about name brands that don't solve the problem.
Old 1st April 2016
  #79
Lives for gear
 
euphoria89's Avatar
 

Love my Hilo. Very natural sound. A step up from the Apollo which tends to lean on a slightly brighter sort of sound. The Hilo is very transparent and has great D/A too. As an all in one 2 in 2 out box, it's wonderful.
Old 5th April 2016
  #81
Lives for gear
 
SoZo's Avatar
Thanks guys and girls... Bought the JCF AD8 will report back... !
Old 6th April 2016
  #82
Gear Maniac
 
Resis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funka View Post
TI PCM 4222 evaluation board.
Old 8th April 2016
  #83
Gear Head
 

Dont forget the Lake People out of Germany for A/D + D/A, they make superb gear as well.
Old 8th April 2016
  #84
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

^^^^^^ What would you compare the AD/DA to here in the US?
Old 8th April 2016
  #85
Lives for gear
 
SoZo's Avatar
Yea... got the JCF today and tried it briefly and Immediately I want 8 more channels... Yes... it is that good.
Old 9th April 2016
  #86
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Seriously sozo





























WE NEED SAMPLES
Old 9th April 2016
  #87
Gear Nut
 
mik123's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Seriously sozo

WE NEED SAMPLES




Old 9th April 2016
  #88
Lives for gear
 
SoZo's Avatar
I'll get some up asap...
Old 10th April 2016
  #89
Lives for gear
 
KIDBILL's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
I'll get some up asap...
Hi Sozo!
Thanks to contribute here as well:
JCF AD8...Let me hear it!
Old 10th April 2016
  #90
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveSound.Net View Post
Dont forget the Lake People out of Germany for A/D + D/A, they make superb gear as well.
I've seen major label classical teams who could afford absolutely anything using Lake People converters. They haven't been distributed in the U.S. and I've been told they have all they can do to keep up with their orders from European broadcasters. I think Benchmark Media or Forssell are probably the closest American equivalents.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump