The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avalon 737 eq
Old 30th January 2016
Lives for gear
Avalon 737 eq

Sorry to bring up this piece of gear which has been discussed to death... But I dusted off my Avalon 737 the other day and.... the eq is really great! Was comparing it to other trendier pieces like API and pultec clones etc but the eq on Avalon seemed just as useful to me.

Perhaps I'm deaf, missing something or deluded because Avalon feels some hate here. I wonder if the hate comes from the comp not being vibey. The pre is decent but, to me at least, the eq seems really useful. Just wondering after the hype, and the backlash how do others feel about Avalon 737? (Only the eq side of it) I'm going to start using mine more! Welcome back baby...
Old 30th January 2016
Lives for gear

Wyn....Avalon's owner agrees...the EQ is the best part of the 737.
Old 31st January 2016
I also love the EQ on the 737 as well as the compressor on vocals, bass and acoustic guitar.
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Nut

I like the avalon EQ as well, to me it has a certain kind of "glassy" quality that I appreciate and use a lot.

As for the compressor, it's not as useless as some people like to display it, it's a bit sluggish sometimes, but definately has a vibe on some sources.

the pre is good too, I use this box a lot, and while it's not your all in weapon, it does many things well, and some really goood.

it's not leaving my studio any time soon
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

Tracked some vocals on an afternoon sesh today with the 737.

Chain was: vintage M49-737sp-8200 (pulling out some problem freq)-1176-vac rac-ADC

The 32k shelf added some nice and usable air without adding sibilance. I also was pushing a couple dbs at 160Hz but it didn't feel as firm or large as I'm use to on Neve modules. The low end seemed a bit hollow comparitavely.

IMHO the strength of the pre is in its ability to let the sound of the mic through and not put on any overly forward colors. I did want a little more bottom out of it though and it seemed a bit 2D at times, but overall the clarity and overall weight worked great in the chain and with the particular vocal (jazz/bway female).

I'd really like to compare it to a gml pre or the npng everyone keeps saying is brilliant because it would be very handy to have being so startkly different to a 1073. I want to like it more since I see 737s selling all day long for half the price!
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Addict
A lot of hate like you say but there sure are a lot of big studios that have them
There's always better but I think it's a good little piece of gear
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Nut
This EQ is VERY useful (heck the whole damn thing is very useful) . It has 'bite' and 'grab' with a glassy quality. The top end has the most identity to it IMHO. Without a doubt a crazy number of hit records have been made using the 737 and it can be found in most top studio and producer racks...despite what the haters say. Also that High Z input for Bass absolutely rocks.
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear
Yeah thanks for the feedback! I agree with everyone's comments.
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear

The EQ, preamp, and DI are awesome.
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen View Post
The EQ, preamp, and DI are awesome.
Crazy how the pre section gets so much hate here. I remember emailing an engineer who tracked vocals to a huge radio hit. I loved the sonics of the vocal in particular so I asked him what his chain was and he said the Avalon 737, including its preamp.
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post
Crazy how the pre section gets so much hate here. I remember emailing an engineer who tracked vocals to a huge radio hit. I loved the sonics of the vocal in particular so I asked him what his chain was and he said the Avalon 737, including its preamp.
They are truly great boxes. The eq and preamp are very useful. I know many people hate them because they are so pervasive (they are no longer cool), but I like every aspect of the 737sp except for the compressor.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search