The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the new tonelux compressor in action (video)
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Guru

the new tonelux compressor in action (video)

so for those who missed this over on the namm forum where i was blogging the event, this is a sweet little video of paul wolff behind the controls of his tonelux console. the video below is a little different, i cleaned up the rumble and made it easier to hear what he's saying. and to be crystal clear about things, i got paid to edit this video and stick credits on it, but this blurb is all my own doing because i think there's a lot to be learned here and i wanted to share it with people.

so at namm i asked paul to give me a rundown of the compressor, but it turned out to be a great little mix lesson as well, and i detail some of the highlights below. paul is a great engineer, i should have known that based on the gear he designs but it still surprised me how fluid he is; he dialed up tones with the quickness and had a great little mix in no time.

it might be hard to tell thru the camera's built-in mic, but the compressor is extremely punchy, the crack on the snare and the whoomp of the kick were moving a lot of air, it was hitting me in the chest. it made me once again lament the heavy mix and mastering compression used these days, there was such a raw power to the sounds coming off this desk.

as an owner and diehard fan of the 2500, i appreciate the legacy that's apparent in this module, but this comp goes beyond the 2500 and does its own thing. in particular, you can do feedback, feedforward, or you can blend anywhere in between. same with the eq on the detector circuit. the 2500 has three slopes, but the tonelux has a knob that sweeps the full range from flat response, where the bass is most likely to trigger the compressor, to heavy upwards tilt, where only the top end is getting compressed. and there's a button to make the attack constant 5x faster, making the fastest attack something like 50 microseconds iirc. brilliant.

something else struck me when watching him work: when he does that extreme hi shelf on the guitar, it's kinda crazy how smooth the result was, considering there's about 12db of lift. now, at the risk of contradicting the master, he claims the shelf starts at 500, but from my memory and where that knob is located it looks more like somewhere between 1k and 2k. maybe i'm just not clear on what the knob indicates vs. where it actually starts grabbing. in any case, he nailed it... there's a growl and clarity that makes it sound like the amp is in your lap. this is the kind of thing i just can't do with a plugin: an extreme hi end push that only sweetens the tone.

for those curious about what he's doing on the rhodes, first he sweeps around with the hi mid band, goosing 6-12db around 6-8k to try and open it up, but there wasn't much love there. so he drops the sweep down to 2-4k and finds the sweet spot in the midrange instead, ending up at 3k. now he zeros out that eq and switches to the hi shelf. he centers the hi shelf just below the sweet spot he just found (presumably because he wants the shelf fully lifting by the time it hits that magic freq) and ends up with a 6db push starting at 2k. same effect as on the guitar: open, clear, present, able to sit up in the mix while leaving room for other stuff to ring thru.

enjoy the vid, it was a hell of learning experience for me, packed into 5 short minutes.

gregoire
del
ubk

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/82U7zY-dmO8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/82U7zY-dmO8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

awesome!
was he was running the overheads back through the mic pre's for the tilt control?
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by godcity View Post
awesome!
was he was running the overheads back through the mic pre's for the tilt control?

yes!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 30th January 2007
Yep very interesting clip for sure.

I was speaking to Paul on the phone today about something else and we got to talking about the new comp. It soundsvery interesting for sure!!!!
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
yes!

gregoire
del
ubk
is there a line in? or was the gain just turned way down on the mic input?
my mic patching is on a separate panel far away from my TT bay. i would be SOL if they shared a jack.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

The faders

UBK,
At NAMM, did you pay attention to whether the faders in Paul's console were the normal 100mm faders or the automated versions? if they were the automated versions, did you see/hear them in action?
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Guru

kurt: the mic pre has an xlr input on the back and a combo xlr + 1/4" jack on the front. there's a 'direct' switch to choose the 1/4", which is hi-z. there's also a mic input available via the d-sub. tonelux is nothing if not uberflexible.

kyle: i have a memory of seeing the faders move on their own when paul was first setting up the booth, but automation wasn't part of the demo (which was all about the comressor) so i can't say for sure. you want me to find out?

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Nice video clip
Old 31st January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle barton View Post
UBK,
At NAMM, did you pay attention to whether the faders in Paul's console were the normal 100mm faders or the automated versions? if they were the automated versions, did you see/hear them in action?
The were the automated ShadowMix faders, set up to follow Pro Tools automation on the PT|LE session Paul had running on his PowerBook.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Addict

thanks for the replies about the faders. i was looking at the tonelux website again trying to figure out if the solos and mutes are on the normal, non-automated fader options, i don't think they are. i'll just have to save up for the shadowmix system. i guess thats why this is the "high end" forum right?
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Guru

i just edited another video of paul, this time doing a pultec trick on the eq. in it, i noticed the faders did indeed jump up to match the pt session before he started tweaking them manually.

how lovely it is to see an analog beast behave the way my control surface does! moving faders is nothing new, but to have them respond to the daw so seamlessly...

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 1st February 2007
Paul has really tiny fingers.....

Nice video b.t.w.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle barton View Post
UBK,
They were the automated ones..
I'm ordering 16 for my home rig and 24 for the new Neve console at the big room
I'll report backthumbsup
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I LOVE fast attack times! Gotta have one!
Old 1st February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Paul has really tiny fingers.....

Nice video b.t.w.
but I have huge feet...
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

off topic but, how much is the universal console going for? As ******** as it may seem, I have never used tonelux gear before. Hmm..
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Seagleson,

check your pm's..

Jeff Goodman
Old 20th February 2007
Lives for gear

Are we getting close to the release date of this unit? I think I would pick up a rack just to have one of these.

Brad
Old 22nd February 2007
Just finishing up the second proto, should be in production within 3 weeks.
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Is the 'feed forward' thing basically just rms detection ala Gain Brain, Klark Teknik, SSL etc?? I love that. The blend option sounds cool.
Old 10th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Is there any ETA on the Universal console and the new modules/options (inc Daking)?
Pricing details etc.

Thanks

TY
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
They were the automated ones..
I'm ordering 16 for my home rig and 24 for the new Neve console at the big room
I'll report backthumbsup
hey badge, how are you gonna get them going on the Neve (i understand it's not exactly a plug and play deal if the board isn't Tonelux), and what Neve did you get?! congrats.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search