The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fulltone tube tech echo ? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 29th January 2016
Gear Addict

Fulltone tube tech echo ?

Ok, im considering pulling the trigger on a Fulltone tube tech echo...
I cant demo one anywhere...
I dont wanna take a chance on a 2nd hand roland unit...

I have the strymon el capistan and the Fairfield circuitry maude analog delay..

Is the Fultone SO much better than those options...
Love tape echo when heard everywhere..Strymon is cool, but not wow...

Over£1k is alot for a tape effect..
Is it justifiable...?

haha
Old 29th January 2016
Gear Head

I'm a proud owner of two TTE's as well as two Roland Re-201's. They're both amazing machines and, IMO, give you a flexibility that even your most nuanced pedals and digital emulators can't quite achieve. The TTE's are easier to maintain with the tape cartridges... and the Rolands have need more work/cleaning with their age. The sound changes as the tape wears/darkens (I don't think the Strymon achieves this parameter well) My TTE's are a bit brighter that the Rolands...but that laregely has to do with the tape. If you're patient they can be purchased on the used market for closer to $900 US.
Old 29th January 2016
I have one plus others including Rolands and a valve Binson. I think it's a great box. Usually, I feel a good condition Space Echo is the most versatile of all but they all have different flavours and charms.
Old 30th January 2016
Lives for gear

I've had one for about 10 years now. It's pretty essential in my both my electric and acoustic guitar rig and in the studio patch in when I'm mixing. Whenever I've had issues, the guy that help designed it (can't remember his name) has always responded and always been helpful (even when I've been an idiot.)

I understrand they redesigned the tape cartridge due to a jamming design flaw or something, which is good as I have a bag full of ones that have jammed over the years I was about to send in for reloads. I'd prefer new ones that don't jam.
Old 30th January 2016
Lives for gear

I liked mine but have since sold it. If you buy one, make sure you buy extra tape cartridges while you can as backups and for the future. The only reason I sold mine was to raise some cash once UADs echoplex was released. Now the echoplex sits in my ITB side of guitar recording chains (and I don't have to worry about the cartridges becoming obsolete).

By the way, the FULLTONE unit is pretty much a clone of the earlier (tube based Echoplex) and is a lot different than a ROLAND space echo. To be, I always like the echo plex better (while there were working). I had space echo as part of my "live" rig back in the late 70s, early 80s and it stood up against at least 1000 gigs during that time frame.

Jim
Old 30th January 2016
Gear Addict

Alas, my credit card sort of hoped there would be an outcry of no...

Jim, in what way u feel the fulltone is superior to the roland ?

Is the UAD good ? Hadnt even realised they had made an echoplex plug
Old 30th January 2016
Here for the gear
Hi. I also own both units plus the UAD echoplex and Re201 plug ins. The one thing I can add is that when I bought my Roland I sent it to the best known guy who works on them and after getting it back it still had more wobble than I wanted. I tried a friend of mine's Roland201 (in Japan) and it sounded so much better than mine, so if your credit card is an issue you might want to pass on the Roland unless
you are absolutely sure it sounds rock solid. I have read Brian Setzer has both units but always uses the Roland live because the way he has the echo set up for "Sleepwalk" he can only get it on the Roland. I forget if that's because the Roland can be set slower or something like that. I believe the Fulltone is more reliable. I've had it for many years now and never a problem. I don't use the stereo function with two amps ever because I tried it and it leaves too much separation like there's a hole in the middle. Both plug ins are fine but I use the Roland plug more. Sometimes also I use it on vocals and can get a good John Lennon "Starting Over" echo with it. Hope this helps a little.
Old 30th January 2016
Gear Addict

Sounds dumb, apologies, but just how different in tone and feature is the solid state version of the fulltone ?
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Addict

PS Guessing slightly brighter tone...
(Although tube overdrive would seem more desirable, even if it
costs more...No ?)
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Addict

I own an RE-501 and a TTE - the 501 (& others I've used) is pretty bulletproof - not a maintenance issue at all. That said I'm not using it (nor the TTE) all day every day. The two echoes couldn't be more different to be honest, have a listen to some YouTube clips, or if you have a UAD card demo the two plugins - they're both great and definitely give the flavour of the originals. The thing about the Roland is all the hands on stuff you'll want to do with it - intensity swells and tweaking the delay time for pitch shifts. All that dubby stuff that the TTE can't do and you can't easily do with the plugin (unless you have a control surface I suppose)
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jim, in what way u feel the fulltone is superior to the roland ?

Is the UAD good ? Hadnt even realised they had made an echoplex plug
First question isn't that the fulltone is superior to the SPACE ECHO just that I like it better. The space echo also has this built in reverb that I disdain (other may love) different courses for different horses type of thing. And yes, the UAD emulations of both the ECHOPLEX and the SPACE ECHO are amazing and almost spot on to me of the hardware units. Using the APOLLO, add in the fact that one can have ZERO latency and UAD effects running and being able to record or monitor only with these effects, gives one quite a few options on how one would like to tracks instruments (this works well with guitar tracks for me).

Jim
Old 31st January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
First question isn't that the fulltone is superior to the SPACE ECHO just that I like it better. The space echo also has this built in reverb that I disdain (other may love) different courses for different horses type of thing. And yes, the UAD emulations of both the ECHOPLEX and the SPACE ECHO are amazing and almost spot on to me of the hardware units. Using the APOLLO, add in the fact that one can have ZERO latency and UAD effects running and being able to record or monitor only with these effects, gives one quite a few options on how one would like to tracks instruments (this works well with guitar tracks for me).

Jim
That Space Echo reverb is great. Instant dub voodoo.
Yeah I find the UAD ones to be really good too and use them regularly for convenience but they don't nail it in the same way they don't totally nail anything real. Playing a real Space Echo spontaneously is great fun and you just don't get that with emulations ever.
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

Paul G, I agree that the UAD emu's don't nail either unit but no two echo plexes sound exactly the same as well. It is just very convenient to be able to use multi echoplexes at the same time without having to own more than one (if you know what I mean). There are certain plugs that UAD does better than others and to me the real old vintage stuff (which would cost MEGA bucks to buy hardware for) captures the spirit of the originals to me. Those plugs that I like most in this category include:

The ECHO PLEX
Helios EQ
EMT 140
and just recently added

Eventide Clockworks

Now that UAD is opening up 3pl development, it seems that UAD is turning into a GUITAR oriented interface (I am not a big fan of amplifier plug-ins) but that is another topic.

Jim

PS - I also love the ECHO BOY for delays (they even added a preset called REVOX delay) which comes real close to the dual REVOX delay trick used back in the early 70's on many classic rocks albums.
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Addict

Stupidly i didnt realise the fultone was unable to hit the dub zone in the same way as the roland units could..I assumed it was able to attain the same extremes...(Obviously minus the verb, which i know the Fulltone doesnt have...)
In this vid..seems capable of wild and dubby :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDzAMw7-pQQ
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
PS - I also love the ECHO BOY for delays (they even added a preset called REVOX delay) which comes real close to the dual REVOX delay trick used back in the early 70's on many classic rocks albums.
Sorry, what is the dual Revox delay trick?
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear

Dual Revox trick was a fake way to create AIR or Space in a mix.... engineers used to create 2 busses using REVOX tape delays in that they would literally create tape loops and hang them in the studio and let the tape constantly loop (like an big echoplex) and set the delays using the "VARI speed" REVOX 2 track machines to be timed to the tempo of the song (like a 16th and and 32nd delay on each machine) and use as a send of audio of the tracks that needed added AIR. These tracks would be 100% wet and then either sent to the mains or an EMT than the mains (you would blend the original track and the wet tracks together in the final mix - too much revox and you get slapback - the volume works best just backed off of the slapback when you can no longer hear the slapback). The delays would fall exactly on the beats so you couldn't hear the slap back (a new live attack would sit on top of the delay signals) but it would create an acoustic space that wasn't on the original tracks. I used to use two echoboy instances to recreate this but with Echoboy 4, they actually added a preset for this using one echoboy in stereo... I thought this very interesting.

The tape loops used to hang off hooks or hangers in the control room for the revox units and they made they loops just so they never had to rewind the revox machines being used for the delays during mixdown sessions.

I am no engineer but there probably is some pyshco acoustic term for what these delays are doing and it works. This was done on just about all the mixes that come out of ISLAND studios on Basing St in London through the seventies. I think the idea came out of ABBEY ROAD studios but not totally sure on where this first got developed. One of the Island studio engineers first told me of this technique years ago.

I take it that a lot of folks know this so I apologize for the long winded explanation of the DUAL REVOX trick.

Jim
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

I take it that a lot of folks know this so I apologize for the long winded explanation of the DUAL REVOX trick.

Jim
It's new to me and I appreciate the explanation. Now I'm intrigued.
Old 2nd February 2016
Check out this first:

the SPACE CASE TE-1

Demos sound incredible.
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Check out this first:

the SPACE CASE TE-1

Demos sound incredible.
Looks very interesting but ffs do you have to give them a Masonic handshake to find out the price?
Old 3rd February 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
I've had one for about 10 years now. It's pretty essential in my both my electric and acoustic guitar rig and in the studio patch in when I'm mixing. Whenever I've had issues, the guy that help designed it (can't remember his name) has always responded and always been helpful (even when I've been an idiot.)

I understrand they redesigned the tape cartridge due to a jamming design flaw or something, which is good as I have a bag full of ones that have jammed over the years I was about to send in for reloads. I'd prefer new ones that don't jam.

If you do send the cartridges to F to be reloaded be aware they do not send a new felt tension arm back with it. I had I think 4 reloaded last fall.
I never saved my old felt before cause I always had a new one with a new tape. I'm down to one dirty felt.
The email sales guy told me they really didn't wear out
This reminds me to bug them again about this because its BS.
Besides this...Love the TTE. I picked one up new back in 2004. it must be a early one because its signed on the bottom with the date.
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

I use a 501 in parallel on my guitar rig in to a Super Reverb using both channels and nothing comes close to that sound. The wash, the vibe, grab a knob...it's all good.
So I tried it on a send to use on some mixes and I hate to say it, unless you're grabbing the knobs and doing some weirdness, I think you can get really close
with plugins. I still patch it in occasionally but it's not the religious experience you get with a guitar and an amp.
Although I did have the idea of recording some tracks set to 100% wet and then timeshifting them back in time for a real tape effect, but I'm sure there are easier ways to accomplish that too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search