The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ for Mix Bus Equalisers (HW)
Old 7th February 2017
Thnx for the reply
Yes it helps. I have the 2a3 now for demo but I find it's way too coloured for my 2 buss( only because I'm already getting my colour from my massive passive) so that's why I was looking into the bettermaker for a cleaner top end and hopefully tight bass. I find the 2a3 a little floppy and wolley in the low end, although the subsonic filter is nice. How's the low end on the bettermaker? From the demo I saw the top end had a nice sheen to it. Next option was the ibis but might be too much $ unless I can find a used one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansest View Post
I have it, but i do not use anything on 2buss. I try to get my eq´s balance and sound eq'ing individual tracks or sub busses as drum bus, gtr bus, etc. Here i have some other pultec type options as well as completely different ones. What i can tell you is that only the filter types /curves with passive topology is pultec inspired but it does not have transformer nor tubes. Sound is very transparent and fast. Clean too. I usually have it in percussion bus, and the digital control is very welcome. I also use it on the stereo reverb plate return to add shine and depth, i've found that with a touch of this i add less verb in the return and sounds more defined, as the plate's pickups tend to be dense and dark. I would think that the Retro 2a3 would make a better all around 2 bus even though it does add more character, but can't really comment, cause i don't tend to do that. I usually add my stereo vari mu U33 and the 2a3 the bus in the track that has the more sterile and lifeless sound of all, and we use to call that, " the royal treatment" . The Bettermaker does only eq, and does it well, but do not add anything but the filter curves, Hopes this helps
Old 7th February 2017
Bettermaker? Hmmm interesting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichop View Post
Bob Katz uses it in mastering
Old 7th February 2017
Quote:
Anyone using a pair of Pultecs like EQP-1A on mix buss?
Any more thoughts on this question would be appreciated. Thanks!
Everyday !! Here are my opinions on Pultec EQP-1A:
Perfect for tracking (vocals mainly)
Perfect for adding the "final touch" on all kinds of mixes
but...
You have to consider another surgical EQ for mids as the Pultec shines mainly on bass & "air" frequencies
A time of learning is highly recommended as those eq may appear simple at first sight but allows so many combinations...
You have to investigate about NOS tubes brands (JJ, Mullard, Telefunken etc..) in order to find what would suits well to your taste.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
Thnx for the reply
Yes it helps. I have the 2a3 now for demo but I find it's way too coloured for my 2 buss( only because I'm already getting my colour from my massive passive) so that's why I was looking into the bettermaker for a cleaner top end and hopefully tight bass. I find the 2a3 a little floppy and wolley in the low end, although the subsonic filter is nice. How's the low end on the bettermaker? From the demo I saw the top end had a nice sheen to it. Next option was the ibis but might be too much $ unless I can find a used one.
funny, i do love the high boost of the 2a3 better than the low boost, but i don´t find it woolly, and specially using the pultec trick on lows, it does sound defined but round. ahhh, adjectives are almost meaningless when describing sound

I could define the Bettermaker lows as more ¨precise¨. I´m guessing you would love a pair of Avedis E27 ...

good luck
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search