The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Peluso's on Acoustic Gtr?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Peluso's on Acoustic Gtr?

Has anyone tried the 22/251 for tracking an acoustic? Would
I have better luck with the CEMC6? Going for a KT Tunstal sort of sound.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

...meant to post this in the main forum-- not high-end.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Head

I didn't like my 22 251 on my acoustic. Just wasn't a natural sound.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Because I was rushed one night to do an acoustic track after I had recorded the singer with my 2247, I just set up quickly with the same mike to record a Gibson J-200.

Last night I was mixing that track, and I was enjoying the *wood* that the Peluso captured.

That said, I usually use a Neumann KM84 -- not every track can take those low-mids.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Anyone try their CEMC6?
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Just used a p12 on an accoustic this week. Sounded awesome! I usually use a Schoepps 221b, and this was just as good if not a little better.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

I'm with Brien on this one. I also tried a 22 251 on an acoustic, and that was a no-go
Old 29th January 2007
JPM
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys! Anyone try their CEMC6?
FWIW, i recently recorded in a studio that used a match pair on my acoustic in xy with two c12ish copies - one a couple feet from the body the other over my right shoulder.

i then recorded some tracks with the same guitar at another studio with a matched pair of U67s in mid-side with a josephson c42 on the neck.

i chose to go with the second option because it sounded darker, more woody, and natural. however, i did really like the sound of the pelusos and think that may have been a better option once i get to mix time as they were brighter (not in a bad way) and had more attitude to cut through a mix without much eq probably. as much as i like the raw, isolated sound of the second, it's going to be trickier to get them to sound good in the mix.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

22 251 a no go here also. i run it thru a API 512C and to me it is WAY to high end, trebly with a pick. i have moved it everywhere and tried it, i end up having to use my fingernails to strum hard. however on soft finger picking without nails it has been reallyu good. gives it a very crisp sound that way when alot of time finger picking comes across muted to me.

i am goig to try it thru a quartet and see if it warms it up some. if not i have a shure sm81 i will use.

BUT

the 22 251 has been great on my vocals thru the API and quartet
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

It seems the consensus here is that the 22 251 is definitely not great for acoustics.

Any other options that won't break the bank? I rarely mic anything expect vocals, so I can't justify spending much for this one session. I also have a TLM-103 and can try that.

Thanks for any ideas!
Old 29th January 2007
A 2247LE on the body and a CEMC6 up at the top of the neck for air (the audio sample on our website has a Taylor 914CE mic'd exactly like this). Either that or just put the CEMC6 on the guitar and hit record.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
A 2247LE on the body and a CEMC6 up at the top of the neck for air (the audio sample on our website has a Taylor 914CE mic'd exactly like this). Either that or just put the CEMC6 on the guitar and hit record.
Link?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
I also have a TLM-103 and can try that.

Thanks for any ideas!
If you have a relatively dead room, try the 103 18 inches out in front of the guitar, pointed right at the soundhole. Use a relatively clean or transparent preamp, and see what you get. You might be surprised how good it sounds (or not),

-R
Old 29th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyboy View Post
Link?
Just go to our website www.audiolot.com and click on Peluso. Choose the 22 47LE, CEMC6 or 22 251 and you'll see a link to the audio file (it's a WAV). There are also videos about each mic that were done a few years back.
Old 29th January 2007

I also have some vocal samples of the Peluso's if people are interested that I can email.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Nut

I tried a pair of CEMC-6's (cardoid capsules) on my Guild D-50 (from 1976) first through a Pacifica and then a MP-2A. Both pre's sounded nice.but I prefered the MP-2A. I put one mic just past the bridge and the other at the 12th fret. I didn't try it with the CEMC-6's but it would probably sound nice with one just past the bridge and the other above the neck pointed towards the floor at the fifth fret or above the headstock. I originally thought this was a crazy position but saw it done in a studio last week and the sound was very good.

Don
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, I only have 1 pre, so i can't do any stereo mic'ing.

Still not sure whether to get a CEMC6 or just use my TLM-103.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
A 2247LE on the body and a CEMC6 up at the top of the neck for air
this is exactly how i do it sounds beautiful, full bodied, and shimmery(depending on how loud you have the cemc6 turned up) if you dont want the shimmer just take the cemc6 down a notch.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

<< A 2247LE on the body and a CEMC6 up at the top of the neck for air
...this is exactly how i do it sounds beautiful, full bodied, and shimmery >>

Damn, I want to ace this recording and you guys are tempting me! (I liked the clip I heard on that site.) Btw, how does the 2247 fare against the LE model? I already know I want the 22 251... Not sure if I can afford all 3. I found someone to loan me a pre!
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Dopamine go shopping and buy the 22-47 LE from Peluso. This mic is very useable to record an accoustic guitar much more than the 251 from the Peluso line...

The 251 is more for vocals or better said it is a vocal only mic... stike

The "normal" 22-47 is not as good as the LE version...!
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The "normal" 22-47 is not as good as the LE version...!
Nonsense....they are similar but different mics...this assessment is strictly the personal observation of the poster based on (I assume and hoe) first hand knowledge of comparing both models. I HAVE compared both, own the 2247, and find it fat, full, and silky smooth for nearly all acoustic guitar tracking.

Quote:
The 251 is more for vocals or better said it is a vocal only mic...
Again, nonsense....I'm sure the hundreds of hits using the ELAM 251 on orchestral arrangements and so on were mere flukes...

There is so much sid-information out there, based on God only knows what...here's the Gospel truth: any mic can be used for nearly any application, if you know how to use it....This holds true for the Peluso line as well...each mic can and has been successfully used in nearly every imaginable setting....The SDCs will get you a great sound, the 2247/2247LE/22-251 will all get you varieties of flavor based on the classic mics they were modeled after..

Choose which ever model suits YOUR ears, and leave the "its only a vocal mic" or "its only a good choice on the 2d Tuesday of the month when the moon is full and there are no clouds" kind of mythology to die a rightful death....

Just an opinion. Good luck with your decision....I have a 2247 and use it on nearly every source you can imagine....all with great success...
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Nut

I recently picked up a Peluso 2247LE, and just tried it on ac. guitar the first time the other day through a Pacifica. For some reason, it wasn't quite doing it for me. It seemed to be picking up a lot of the room, leaving the track not quite focused and dry enough. Tried a few different polar patterns, and just didn't kill me. Ended up going with my AT4050 instead.

I am still trying to sort out a few acoustics issues with my room, I don't want it too dead, but right now there's a bit too much room sound, so I suppose you could say that the 2247LE was more sensitive than the AT4050 and was picking up more of the undesirable room sound than I would have liked.

I had it placed 18"-24" from the neck/body joint, maybe I'll try a little closer next time with the Peluso to see how that fares. Will surely cut down a bit on the room sound...

Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I did it-- just ordered a 22 251 and a 2247. They'll be here on Friday!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search