The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite ISA or Millennia Origin?? Opinions
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Focusrite ISA or Millennia Origin?? Opinions

Im looking to make a new preamp purchase primarily for vocals. My aim is for a super clean, sparkly type sound. The two pes that i'm considering at the moment is the isa 220 or millennia td-1. Just recently started thinking about the origin. I personally do not what the "neve" flavor or a "colored" sounding pres as i already have that in my collection. What do you guys think would be a good route to go? The mic that i will be using wit it will be a Peluso 251 btw..I appreciate all response's and opinions.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Maniac

If you are after very clean sounding pre then Millennia should be just for you. ISA is a coloured one for sure. If you changed tubes in Origin, you could get a bit more juicy sound, but still very clean and open. I also like the SS typology of it when using a tube mic.
Well everything depends on the on your taste and your needs, though I'd also give a try something like Pendulum MDP-1 if you want to stay of the clean side or API 512 as an alternative colour to neve.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iziphonics View Post
Well everything depends on the on your taste and your needs, though I'd also give a try something like Pendulum MDP-1 if you want to stay of the clean side
Yes, Pendulum - clean, yet having something extra. Great for vocals ... To my ears more pleasant and appealing than Origins in any topology with any kind of tubes ...
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

The millenia is very clean....

You could also consider the SSL E Channel which has a very hifi, clean, shiny, vivid sounding pre. You also have the benefit of a superb mono drum mult for example what with the listen back compressor and that eq etc.

J
Old 29th January 2007
Solid State Logic

I'd say the the SuperAnalogue (K) channel would be a better bet for this. The E Channel is pretty coloured...
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

If you're going with the Millennia (I kinda like it for this application with the Telefunken tubes), I'd hurry on the purchase. The pricing goes up by about 5% on Feb 1.

Chatted with Joel last week about the device (the option of recording two tracks, one with processing, one without was very cool IMO) when he dropped that little bombshell.

Guess I might be poorer than usual this week
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Remember, unlike the Origin, the TD-1 mic pre cannot be routed through the tube stage.

The TD-1 is a fantastic DI box. It's really everything you would want in a DI, but as a mic pre, you'll be paying for unused features.

For straight up clean mic pres, look at the HV-3C.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Prices are going up....Avalon just upped all their prices.. Whats the deal with the price increases lately? And thats a good point about the TD-1 that sizzle boy made, may have to look into that. The reason i'm planning on getting a clean pre is to run it into a fat sounding pre....Is that something anyone has tried? I want to have the best of both worlds, maybe this is not a good option..what do you guys think of that, running an ultra clean pre into a fatter sound pre? The goal is to have extremely detailed, articulate vocals but also have them fat sounding..Maybe i'm crazy but ima try it. I don't think i've eva heard of anyone trying that often, and recording is about getting your signature sound, so theres no right or wrong way when it sounds good....what do you guys think? And thanks for the response so far as well...Or is their a different way to achieve the sound i'm looking for as well? I'm opened to opinions and options while stayin under 2g though..
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Pendulum MDP-1 looks like a great. May have to do some research on this one also seeing that its a stereo as well...
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

By all means: Millennia Origin!
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBishopSFX View Post
By all means: Millennia Origin!
Why do you say the millennia with such confidence?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
Because for a total strip, it does it's job rather well.

It is a bit of a staple along with the 737 within the VO industry for vocal chains.

Since you're just looking for a preamp, you might want to take a look at A-Designs Millennia preamp (which has received a lot of praise all over). It has a more colored tone to it, but is sonically pleasing to most.
Old 29th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda117 View Post
Since you're just looking for a preamp, you might want to take a look at A-Designs Millennia preamp (which has received a lot of praise all over). It has a more colored tone to it, but is sonically pleasing to most.
Did you mean the Pacifica?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I don´t know the 220 but I have used the 430MKII and I found it a quite boring pre.

I bought a TD-1 and it sounds great. It´s very clean and detailed and the EQ sounds beautiful. It´s true that at first it was only a DI and sometime after they gave the HV3 for free and that is why I bought it. It´s a great box with many options. I don´t see it as a DI box with a pre.I think of it as a pre with a great sounding DI ( probably the best ). If you don´t need a colored pre because you have the "color" on the mic, then it´s a great purchase. The only thing I don´t like it´s that the gain pot it´s quite small and comes off easyly. Also I would have like to have also a fine gain pot because the TD-1 goes in 5db steps ( if I remember well ). Not a big deal but...

Another pre that I like is the Great River ME-1NV. It´s quite cheap and sounds great.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear
Another vote for the Milennia. I have Grace Designs, SPL, Demeter and Presonus, and the Milennia is the go to channel strip for vocals. Clean if you want it, or dial in some grit and punch.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by espasonico View Post
I don´t know the 220 but I have used the 430MKII and I found it a quite boring pre.

I bought a TD-1 and it sounds great. It´s very clean and detailed and the EQ sounds beautiful. It´s true that at first it was only a DI and sometime after they gave the HV3 for free and that is why I bought it. It´s a great box with many options. I don´t see it as a DI box with a pre.I think of it as a pre with a great sounding DI ( probably the best ). If you don´t need a colored pre because you have the "color" on the mic, then it´s a great purchase. The only thing I don´t like it´s that the gain pot it´s quite small and comes off easyly. Also I would have like to have also a fine gain pot because the TD-1 goes in 5db steps ( if I remember well ). Not a big deal but...

Another pre that I like is the Great River ME-1NV. It´s quite cheap and sounds great.
The Great River is still a colored pre, but you are right that is a good pre and i plan on getting one later on down the line just to add to the collection...Tony I think he was talking about the pacifica which i've been researching as well....It looks like the millennia wins a lot of votes, its just a matter of if I want to spend the money on the origin now or just go with the TD-1, its a tough choice. I appreciate all the feedback and recommendations...
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
Versatility, transparency, but has "color" when I want it: an invaluable tool for vocal and/or instrument recording.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Versatility, transparency, but has "color" when I want it: an invaluable tool for vocal and/or instrument recording.
Thanx bishop, i'm definitely doing more research and its def at the top of my list at the moment....
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

Even better is the GML 2020, though.

It's more money, but you get a channel of the GML 8900, 8200 and 8302 in one unit. The 2020 is the ultimate input channel: great mic pre, mastering-quality EQ with the best dynamic range controller on the market! If you can't get it with the 2020, don't quit your day job...
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Nut

love my stt-1...did a whole album with it on vocals...check out my links and you can hear...pop, rock, r&b, even rap

<><
mark
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Guru

Straight up Origin. Said with total confidence. TD-1 is great also. Though the gain knob is small, it's never come off in my hands. Mayb I have a gentler touch!
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even better is the GML 2020, though.

It's more money, but you get a channel of the GML 8900, 8200 and 8302 in one unit. The 2020 is the ultimate input channel: great mic pre, mastering-quality EQ with the best dynamic range controller on the market! If you can't get it with the 2020, don't quit your day job...
LOL Too late i just quit and purchased that 2020 heh
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Did you mean the Pacifica?
Thank you, brain fart moment there

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search