The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Kush Clariphonic with a Sony c800g a bad idea? Condenser Microphones
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear
Is Kush Clariphonic with a Sony c800g a bad idea?

Going to be recording vocals and the songs will be pretty dense as far as background instruments, etc..

Also will have access to a c800g for these sessions. I have been looking at the Clariphonic and wondering if pairing these two is a bad idea?

I know people who consider the c800g super bright with no additional EQ needed.

However, I have a few projects that require the vocals to be very upfront, but def not harsh or something that will cause ear fatigue.

The vocals need to be like the female singer on this songs intro:

What do you guys think?
Old 27th January 2016
Try it. If it works, it wasn't a bad idea (the only hard and fast rule is that there are no hard and fast rules).
Old 27th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post
Going to be recording vocals and the songs will be pretty dense as far as background instruments, etc..

Also will have access to a c800g for these sessions. I have been looking at the Clariphonic and wondering if pairing these two is a bad idea?

However, I have a few projects that require the vocals to be very upfront, but def not harsh or something that will cause ear fatigue.

What do you guys think?
Whats with the distortion in the centre channel of that clip?
Old 28th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Hummm, try it, but I like C800G with one more warm EQ... It's bright and upfront enough!
I like one Clariphonic with U47 sometimes...
IMO!
Old 29th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
....(the only hard and fast rule is that there are no hard and fast rules).
Not sure if that's always true.

Old 29th January 2016
I like the C800G with a slower heavy Neve style 10series. A Heritage or a vintage 1073 always gives it the girth...
Old 29th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post

What do you guys think?
There is not a single person on the planet that can tell you if a Clariphonic eq will work in your situation. People can say if they like the Clariphonic or not and if they like the Sony or not and even if they like the combo of the two or not, but not one single person can tell you "yes or no, the combo of that mic and eq will work with the people you'll be recording."

You can take a $6000 vintage Pultec and make a vocal sound like a turd with it.

Really, even asking this question is suspect.
Its like asking, "Do I like chocolate ice cream?"

Last edited by Axelrod; 30th January 2016 at 12:37 AM..
Old 30th January 2016
Lives for gear

I'm not a c800g person. It is too bright for me, but the pairing may work. Who knows? They could blow your mind together. Give it a shot. Good luck in your sonic quest.
Old 30th January 2016
SEED78
I've read quite a few posts about people using the clari on vocals, and at the price you'll find it useful and unique on another source if not, I say get it!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search