The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm and Intimate Vocal/Piano Mic
Old 27th January 2016
Warm and Intimate Vocal/Piano Mic

Hi, I'm currently in the market for a new mic for my locker, and I'm looking to go a bit higher end on this purchase. I'm looking for a very warm microphone, with a very smooth top end. It'll be mostly for vocals, but i will also use it at times for slower, mellow piano passages and strings if it works well for it. I've read through a bunch of info so far on the forums, and listened to as many demos as I could find, but some of these mics have not had much info on them lately, and a lot of newer mics have quite limited info on them.

Currently the top of my list is the Brauner Valvet, Flea 47 and Manley Reference Card. I'm capping my budget at 4k. It does not have to be a tube mic, since I honestly dont care whats inside the mic as long as it sounds good. I'm avoiding going too "251" ish since I already have a 251.

Any suggestions of mics to take a closer look at or if these would be decent choices for the task? Ive got a decent preamp selection so thats not a worry.

Thanks!
Old 27th January 2016
If anyone knows I'm also curious how something like the Peluso P67 would stack up against the other mics i mentioned.
Old 27th January 2016
Gear Addict
I bought a p67 and sold after 2 sessions with vocalists..just didnt like the mic...all their mics that ive used seem to be unnarurally bright...sold it very quickly....ymmv....i bought a lawson 47mpii and i love it....very warm and smooth sounding....there are samples on their site
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear
The Soyuz is where I would start if I was in the market coming in well within your budget.
Old 28th January 2016
Yah, a sharp high end is something im trying to avoid so i'll rule out the peluso then. I hadnt heard of the soyuz actually. I'll have to take a closer look at them.

Thanks!
Old 28th January 2016
Lives for gear

Soyuz is a very big deal, and sounds wonderful.
Old 28th January 2016
Gear Maniac

I suggest an AEA big ribbon mic - it's exactly what you're asking for: beautiful, warm, with a swell vibe for intimate recordings. great on piano, strings and vox. Well within your budget.

Last edited by musicalnyc; 28th January 2016 at 04:29 AM..
Old 28th January 2016
I probably should have clarified. I'm specifically looking for an LDC, since i already have some great ribbon and sdc mics. Already have Royer 122's.
Old 28th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celinara View Post
Currently the top of my list is the Brauner Valvet, Flea 47 and Manley Reference Card. I'm capping my budget at 4k...
In light of what you've said you're looking for, I'd have thought the Flea 249 would be close to the mark.
Old 28th January 2016
Lives for gear

Given you are topping out at $4K I would think the Manley Ref GOLD (not the C) would be a really good place to start. You can find them used on Ebay quite often in the $3K-$4K price range.

My next choice would probably be a FLEA 47 but they are completely different sounding than the Manley Gold but still very smooth and musical. Just very different than the Manley

Another really good option would also be a gently used Neumann M149. Those also seem to sell used in great condition for around $3.5K or even less.

Last on my list would be a Blue Bottle with the stock B6 capsule. Excellent smooth mic.

I have used a few Peluso mics with somewhat mixed results. However the sound clips I have heard of the Peluso VTB is pretty bad ass. The other Peluso mics I wasn't that impressed with.
Old 28th January 2016
The first thing I thought when I read the OP (after I read no 251s) was a 49 type mic. Its often first choice here for 'warm' piano. BUT, when it works on vocal it is amazing, but it is no swiss army knife. If it's attitude doesn't work on a vocalist it REALLY doesn't work.

(And I know the OP said no 251 type suggestions but a good 251 is killer in both applications. )
Old 28th January 2016
Jai guru deva om

It sounds like you should add the Pearlman TM-47 to your list as well, it has a classic smooth sound and brings what you expect out of a U47 style mic.

War
Old 28th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalnyc View Post
I suggest an AEA big ribbon mic - it's exactly what you're asking for: beautiful, warm, with a swell vibe for intimate recordings. great on piano, strings and vox. Well within your budget.
I second this!!! I would go with the 44C
unreal mic
Old 28th January 2016
Yah, I was leaning towards a 47/49 style mic. I already have a great 251 that sounds great on these sources, but of course its hard to have one mic suit everything just right. Thus the Valvet (which i like a bit better than a m149 actually) and the flea. I've heard a lot of good things about the pearlman and will check it out for sure.

Last edited by Celinara; 28th January 2016 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 28th January 2016
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
I probably should have clarified. I'm specifically looking for an LDC, since i already have some great ribbon and sdc mics. Already have Royer 122's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I second this!!! I would go with the 44C
unreal mic
Unreal for sure, just not what he wants.

War
Old 28th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Unreal for sure, just not what he wants.

War
Hmmm, Musta Missed that post above.

Oh well, seemed fitting anyway. Good luck on it,

peace
Adam J. Brass
DSPdoc
Old 28th January 2016
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Oh well, seemed fitting anyway.
Seriously, it was my first thought too! Love that mic.
Old 28th January 2016
Well, I'll still give it a shot if i find one to demo, but its not at the top of my list, since i am looking for a ldc. Thanks for your input everyone!
Old 29th January 2016
The beesneez arabella producer is exactly that.
Old 29th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yah, I was leaning towards a 47/49 style mic. I already have a great 251 that sounds great on these sources, but of course its hard to have one mic suit everything just right. Thus the Valvet (which i like a bit better than a m149 actually) and the flea. I've heard a lot of good things about the pearlman and will check it out for sure.
The Flea's 47/49 could be a great intimate vocal mic and great on piano etc.. indeed..
The Arabella could also be a good suggestion, although I do find it a bit more "forward" sounding..

I know I sound like a broken record but try to at least to test a Josephson C715.. Truly beautiful open yet not at all harsh mic (try to avoid warm.. difficult to describe), with an incredible intimacy..Make sure to use a great preamp with it..needs gain

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 29th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
What about a Cathedral Pipes Notre Dame ?
Cathedral Pipes
Old 29th January 2016
Lives for gear

What you are describing -- "warm... smooth top end" sounds like an RCA 44. Most condensers, including 47's and clones have a high mid range and high push. The 44 is smooth... I think it is the best vocal / piano microphone for your description.

Quote:
Hi, I'm currently in the market for a new mic for my locker, and I'm looking to go a bit higher end on this purchase. I'm looking for a very warm microphone, with a very smooth top end. It'll be mostly for vocals, but i will also use it at times for slower, mellow piano passages and strings if it works well for it.
RCA 44-BX or PB90

Last edited by Seditionary; 1st February 2016 at 09:05 AM..
Old 30th January 2016
Gear Head

I just bought a josephson c700s, and it sounds like what you're describing. The sound is big and smooth. The high end doesn't have the detail of the c617set, but it still has a very open quality with a bit of added girth. I don't know if I'd call it warm exactly, but it's certainly smooth and not harsh or bright at all. I'd look at something in that josephson line.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search