The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aurora Audio GTC2 Compressor Available?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Aurora Audio GTC2 Compressor Available?

There was one listed in the classified section, and I'd never seen it before.

I was hoping to get some info on this unit. Such as,

Is it being shipped?

How much?

The attack times seem REALLY fast... or am I just really slow? The slowest time I see is 5ms.

How can I get one?

http://www.auroraaudio.net/dcforum/DCForumID2/69.html

Thanks!
Old 29th January 2007

We are taking orders for them right now... they are available and shipping in limited quantities every week to ten days. We are selling them for $2800.

The attack time has a wide range of adjustment and can be very slow or fast. It is a feedback type of topology which utilizes both Fet & Opto paths. Remember it is 5 miili-seconds, not micro-seconds. An 1176's attack time is variable between 20 and 800 micro-seconds... The AMS Neve 33609 had an attack time of 3.0 milli-seconds, which was not adjustable.

So, 5.0 milli-seconds is more than long enough compared to most other popular units. I can't imagine anyone needing a longer attack time on this compressor.

We'll have it up on the site soon (when we get hi-res photos), In the meantime here's some specs that you might be interested in:

GTQC2 Compressor Features:

• Both Fet and Opto compression
• Hybrid combination mode which allows the use of both compression circuits on the same signal
• Auto Attack & Release function that is well suited for vocals, bass, etc.
• Transformer balanced & utilizes the same Class A amplifier stages as the GTQ2 Mic Pre/EQ
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Be sure to post some hi-rez pics when they're available, Tony. Seems quite interesting and I'll be sure to check em out. Any more additional info as to sonics, etc?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
We are taking orders for them right now... they are available and shipping in limited quantities every week to ten days. We are selling them for $2800.

The attack time has a wide range of adjustment and can be very slow or fast. It is a feedback type of topology which utilizes both Fet & Opto paths. Remember it is 5 miili-seconds, not micro-seconds. An 1176's attack time is variable between 20 and 800 micro-seconds... The AMS Neve 33609 had an attack time of 3.0 milli-seconds, which was not adjustable.

So, 5.0 milli-seconds is more than long enough compared to most other popular units. I can't imagine anyone needing a longer attack time on this compressor.

We'll have it up on the site soon (when we get hi-res photos), In the meantime here's some specs that you might be interested in:

GTQC2 Compressor Features:

• Both Fet and Opto compression
• Hybrid combination mode which allows the use of both compression circuits on the same signal
• Auto Attack & Release function that is well suited for vocals, bass, etc.
• Transformer balanced & utilizes the same Class A amplifier stages as the GTQ2 Mic Pre/EQ

Thanks Tony,

So is there any way to make the release auto and NOT the attack? Or are they linked by that button?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music View Post
Thanks Tony,

So is there any way to make the release auto and NOT the attack? Or are they linked by that button?
Hi

Actually, that's a typo... sorry Tony, I didn't spot that.

The recovery is automatic but you still have control over the attack.

Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Be sure to post some hi-rez pics when they're available, Tony. Seems quite interesting and I'll be sure to check em out. Any more additional info as to sonics, etc?
I posted some pics (not really hi-rez) on the classified section :

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=106120
Old 29th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

Actually, that's a typo... sorry Tony, I didn't spot that.

The recovery is automatic but you still have control over the attack.

That makes sense.

I guess you would never know if you didn't move the attack knob with auto selected. I have been using it with the attack at 9 o'clock on vocals...
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I apologize in advance if I'm completely wrong here, but don't a lot of compressors have attack times much slower? Like the SSL buss comp, Chandler LTD2, Drawmer 1968, etc etc?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music View Post
I apologize in advance if I'm completely wrong here, but don't a lot of compressors have attack times much slower? Like the SSL buss comp, Chandler LTD2, Drawmer 1968, etc etc?
Hi

I recall this question being asked before. I believe the Chandler is a clone of the 2254 and the 2254 attack time is fixed at 5 mS.... the same as my slowest and the 2254 is notoriously slow but a nice compressor, none the less.

The 2264 and 32264 and the 33609 are faster at 3mS.

The 1176 is a nice compressor and its attack times are all faster than 1 mS.

Why would you want a very slow attack time that might miss fast peaks?

Old 29th January 2007

Right, plus you have to account for the differences in topologies and technologies being used with the SSL/ Smart, etc (VCA/ Feed-forward).

At the 30 ms setting the SSL is still faster than the Aurora or Neve's 5 ms setting.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right, plus you have to account for the differences in topologies and technologies being used with the SSL/ Smart, etc (VCA/ Feed-forward).

At the 30 ms setting the SSL is still faster than the Aurora or Neve's 5 ms setting.
Really? Damn I learn something new everyday on this forum.

Is it faster simply because of topology? I always thought ms were ms no matter what comp. But this makes a lot of sense to me cuz I never look at the attack times when I'm USING the unit, only when I'm buying them.

I'll have to give you a call Tony. Thanks!
Old 16th February 2007
Gear Addict

Why isn't there infos about GTC-2 in "products" menu at Aurora Audio website yet ?
And Geoff, your products diserve professional pictures !
Is the GTC-2 inspired from a vintage comp ? if yes wich one ?
Old 16th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefrançais View Post
Why isn't there infos about GTC-2 in "products" menu at Aurora Audio website yet ?
And Geoff, your products diserve professional pictures !
Is the GTC-2 inspired from a vintage comp ? if yes wich one ?
Hi

I'm sorry that the site isn't updated yet but we are busy doing instructional movies of the products that we want to upload at the same time as we update the pages with new photos.

You'll find info and front panel drawings on my Ask Geoff Aurora Products section of the web site.

What I also do my best to achieve is a new product and not a revamped version of someone else's design. All that does is perpetuate an existing sound. I wanted to present folk with an altogether new sound.

So, the GTC2 and GTQC are not based on any other products... them's all my own original design!

It's an opto compressor that switchable over to FET operation or a "Comb" operation where the FET section follows the Opto. This isn't just an excuse to squish the living daylights out of a signal but rather to provide the user with a third sound signature that, with careful adjustment of the 5 rotary controls, can produce a wide range of sound options.

Old 16th February 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks Goeff, I'm really interested in this new stereo comp.
Old 2nd April 2007
Lives for gear

Any new word on the GTQ2? Has anyone tried it?
Old 2nd April 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Any new word on the GTQ2? Has anyone tried it?
GTC2...
Old 2nd April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Can someone please explain this? This makes no sense. What does the attack time mean if all manufacturers are not specifying attack time the same way?

thanks,
Brad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search