The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should I upgrade from Neumann KH120A to KH310A? Studio Monitors
Old 26th January 2016
Gear Nut

Should I upgrade from Neumann KH120A to KH310A?

Hi there, I've been enjoying my Neumann KH120A speakers for about a year and a half now but I'm thinking of getting an upgrade to a bit more expensive (and with extended low-end) monitors. Should I get the Neumann KH310A's? I guess they would sound a bit similar, right? So I don't have to adapt to a completely different sounding speaker. Thanx!
Old 26th January 2016
Gear Guru

The KH310A are better than the 120A and have a lower bass extension.

They have the same family sound, but are a sealed enclosure, rather than a bass reflex.

An alternative, maybe, would be to get the new KH805 sub and keep the KH120A.
Old 30th January 2016
XLR
Gear Maniac
Without knowing the new model, and without knowing what's exactly built in:
I'm very happy with the "bigger ones", and prefer them much.
For me it's easier and more pleasant to hear, as if I need less concentration (= less fatiguing).
For me the detailed mid rang is more important and I don't know how much the "better feeling" in the middel has to do with the larger bass range.
But may be that we always "work" in our mind to "complete the picture", and have more work with compensating when something is missing/ less good reproduced.

But YMMV...
Ask your local dealer for a pair to test it in your studio...
Old 30th January 2016
Lives for gear

Yes
Old 31st January 2016
Old 31st January 2016
The first question is to ask yourself is "what do I want to make happen that isn't now?" Since I have 120s and have listened to a LOT of other speakers I will try to help/guess.

As I said, I have 120s and love them. I doubt I will ever sell them. The 310 are an entirely different speaker in design. I heard them for a day in a studio I worked in. So if you just want more bass, I would take the reference above and grab that sub. If you want to totally change speakers than there are some other 3-way speakers to consider as well.

Also note that if your room has problems below 100hz as most do, you are just creating a bigger problem by adding more lows. Hearing more bass in bad room doesn't help you get work done. However this sub could be kicked on temporarily to bring it up loud, impress clients, and a spot check for your mixes.

These are my thoughts.
Old 31st January 2016
Old 31st January 2016
I'd say keep the 120's and get the sub instead
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=John Willett;11654351]The KH310A are better than the 120A and have a lower bass extensionQUOTE]

I would go a step futher and say they sound alot better.
Not only do they have a much lower bass extension but they also sound clearer and more detailed across the whole frequency spectrum.

For a period of some months I had both and got to compared them in my small room. I keept the KH310's and finally sold the KH120's.

However in hindsight I regret selling my KH120's as I rarely use my KH310 anymore because they basically are to big for my room. The KH120's where a much better fit to my small room.
Old 1st February 2016
Gear Guru

[QUOTE=chrisdee;11670316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The KH310A are better than the 120A and have a lower bass extensionQUOTE]

I would go a step futher and say they sound alot better.
Not only do they have a much lower bass extension but they also sound clearer and more detailed across the whole frequency spectrum.

For a period of some months I had both and got to compared them in my small room. I keept the KH310's and finally sold the KH120's.

However in hindsight I regret selling my KH120's as I rarely use my KH310 anymore because they basically are to big for my room. The KH120's where a much better fit to my small room.
The step up in quality from the KH120, but of a similar size, are the ME-Geithain RL906.

They go a tad lower than the 120 as well.

I had the O110D (the forerunner to the KH120) before I upgraded to the RL906 - though I still say the 120 are the best in their price bracket, the 906 are that nice step up.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search