The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors similar to Focal Solo 6 Be? Studio Monitors
Old 23rd January 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
 
noah440's Avatar
 

Monitors similar to Focal Solo 6 Be?

Hey all, I've had Eve SC307s for under a year, and they just aren't working in my room. They are amazing monitors, just too big/not right for my smaller mixing studio. I'm looking to replace them and am considering the Focal Solo 6 Be. Obviously you can't tell until you get monitors in your room to hear what it will be like, but if you were looking in that price range/style, what would some other options be to look into? What I was highly impressed about the Solo 6 Be's that I recently heard in another studio is that they felt very honest and unhyped, with great imaging. But that was in another studio, and I've read a lot of mixed reviews on them.

I'm just looking for a variety of opinions so I can look into everything that's available in that size and try out a few different ones. I would prefer powered. I've been hearing about the Truth Audio Darkstar or Relfexion, as one option...anyone have experience with those?

Looking forward to your opinions.

Last edited by noah440; 24th January 2016 at 02:11 AM..
Old 24th January 2016
  #2
Gear Addict
I wish I could give you some alternatives but I simply don't have a lot of experience with other monitors...at least not as extensive as I have with Focal. They are the monitors I started out with and I recently upgraded to the Trio6 Be monitors....wow...but that's a whole different thread.

So I had the CMS 65 series for a few years and they are great in a smaller to mid size rooms. You're right about the sound, its not hyped, very pristine, and wide image. I'm sure the Solo version which is a step down in the product line from the CMS is going to embody most of those qualities.
Old 24th January 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
SoZo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDawg View Post
I wish I could give you some alternatives but I simply don't have a lot of experience with other monitors...at least not as extensive as I have with Focal. They are the monitors I started out with and I recently upgraded to the Trio6 Be monitors....wow...but that's a whole different thread.

So I had the CMS 65 series for a few years and they are great in a smaller to mid size rooms. You're right about the sound, its not hyped, very pristine, and wide image. I'm sure the Solo version which is a step down in the product line from the CMS is going to embody most of those qualities.
Solo 6be is their top of the line about minus the flagship sm9 of the lot... FYI
Old 24th January 2016
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
Solo 6be is their top of the line about minus the flagship sm9 of the lot... FYI
Dont forget the twins and trio are in between the solo and the sm9
Old 24th January 2016
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
mworkman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah440 View Post
...they felt very honest and unhyped, with great imaging.
That was my impression. When I was looking at upgrading my monitors from original Alesis Monitor One's I auditioned Adam AX7 and the Focal Solo 6Be.

In my space I listened to some recordings I new well, in particular Fleetwood Mac's Rumors which I have been listening to since my Dad had it on 8-track!

I heard details that I hadn't heard before. When I closed my eyes and listened I could visualize the placement of each of the instruments in the mix.

One of the other things I listen to was Volto's Incitare (Danny Carey from Tool on Drums). It was recorded to tape. You can hear the tape hiss on it. With the Adam's I could hear when the drums were faded up because the hiss became more noticeable. It was there on the Focal's but not as pronounced so that led me to believe the Focal's were less hyped in the high end. Also with Danny's kick I would get hit in the face with a blast of air coming from the Adam's bass ports. I found it distracting. I didn't have that issue with the Focal's.

SoundPure sent the Focals to me to try in my room. They put a hold on my credit card and if I didn't like them I could send them back and they would only charge me the shipping back to them. In the end the Focals won out for me.

Good luck in your search. If at all possible it really is best to audition in your own room.

Last edited by mworkman; 24th January 2016 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 24th January 2016
  #6
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
Solo 6be is their top of the line about minus the flagship sm9 of the lot... FYI
Yes you're right I was thinking of the Alpha line of monitors from them for some reason.
Old 25th January 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
noah440's Avatar
 

Anyone have experience with the PSI A17M? Even better, someone who has experience with the Solo 6 Be and the A17M? Only those -- not the Twins or the A21M.

Any other options in this general price range ($2500 - $3000/pair) that you would recommend checking out?
Old 25th January 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
murphythecat87's Avatar
 

you should audition pmc twotwo6, ATC scm 20, amphion one18 along the focals.
Old 25th January 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
noah440's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat87 View Post
you should audition pmc twotwo6, ATC scm 20, amphion one18 along the focals.
Thanks for the suggestion...those are all out of my price range, though, especially considering I'd need a power amp for two of them.
Old 25th January 2016
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah440 View Post
Anyone have experience with the PSI A17M? Even better, someone who has experience with the Solo 6 Be and the A17M? Only those -- not the Twins or the A21M.

Any other options in this general price range ($2500 - $3000/pair) that you would recommend checking out?
Event opal, amphion one15 and cms65 are ones you should add to your try out list. I know the amphion is passive but its worth it. The opals are nice and accurate with a big low end, so be aware they will suck in a less than heavily treated room.
Old 25th January 2016
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah440 View Post
Anyone have experience with the PSI A17M? Even better, someone who has experience with the Solo 6 Be and the A17M? Only those -- not the Twins or the A21M.

Any other options in this general price range ($2500 - $3000/pair) that you would recommend checking out?
Event opal, amphion one15 and cms65 are ones you should add to your try out list. I know the amphion is passive but its worth it. The opals are nice and accurate with a big low end, so be aware they will suck in a less than heavily treated room.
Old 25th January 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
murphythecat87's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah440 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion...those are all out of my price range, though, especially considering I'd need a power amp for two of them.
in your price range, Id really try Sonodyne monitors, yamaha hs8, kh120 or kef ls50.
Sonodyne Studio Monitors | Sweetwater.com

]

Last edited by murphythecat87; 25th January 2016 at 05:47 AM..
Old 25th January 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
I was considering the Genelec 8040 and Focal Solo 6...really leaning towards the Focal solo 6 because the speakers are going to be (almost) against the wall. The only passives I would consider are ATC's (SCM7 and SCM11). Any thoughts on how the ATCs compare to the Solo 6 or even 8040?
Old 25th January 2016
  #14
Old 26th January 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
 
noah440's Avatar
 

Got some good options here -- thanks for the help.

It might clarify if I specify what I don't like about the Eve SC307s in my particular room. Electronic, EDM, and Pop stuff is damn good to mix on them with...it's the rock stuff that gets sketchy. The midrange is not clarified enough to really hear what's going on, and that's what I'm looking to improve upon with different monitors. I still need the big expansive sound for the other styles, but also that midrange clarity that the Eves don't seem to quite have for rock, in my room.
Old 28th January 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 
noah440's Avatar
 

So I spent and hour and a half at a local pro audio joint and auditioned a few different monitors including the Solo 6, The Rock MKII, the CMS-50, and for the hell of it, an ATC (can't remember the model). At first I loved The Rock because it felt very honest, but then I found that it's not a speaker that I would enjoy using for hours on end (definitely had a harshness in the high/mid and high regions, and yes they were broken in). For rock stuff the high-mids were way too forward to my ears and the Solo 6's felt like more of a real world sound to me, and the ones that sounded the most honest on all of the the mixes I played through them (a combination of big budget songs by others that I'm deeply familiar with, and some of my own). I felt that The Rocks would make me compensate in the wrong way, and the Solo 6's were a better balance of all things I am considering. Both the Solo 6 and The Rock outdid the CMS-50 in a clear way, to me. The ATCs bettered both the Solo 6 and The Rock overall, but were way too expensive.

Will get the Solo 6's over the next couple of days and see how it comes together in my room.

Last edited by noah440; 28th January 2016 at 12:27 AM..
Old 28th January 2016
  #17
Lives for gear
 
JonMiller's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah440 View Post
Hey all, I've had Eve SC307s for under a year, and they just aren't working in my room. They are amazing monitors, just too big/not right for my smaller mixing studio. I'm looking to replace them and am considering the Focal Solo 6 Be. Obviously you can't tell until you get monitors in your room to hear what it will be like, but if you were looking in that price range/style, what would some other options be to look into? What I was highly impressed about the Solo 6 Be's that I recently heard in another studio is that they felt very honest and unhyped, with great imaging. But that was in another studio, and I've read a lot of mixed reviews on them.

I'm just looking for a variety of opinions so I can look into everything that's available in that size and try out a few different ones. I would prefer powered. I've been hearing about the Truth Audio Darkstar or Relfexion, as one option...anyone have experience with those?

Looking forward to your opinions.
I went between the Dynaudio Bma MKiii and the Focal solos. I kept the Dynaudio's. We also have a set of Adams on our mix desk for a different perspective.

The highend of the Dynaudio's worked better for me.

Last edited by JonMiller; 28th January 2016 at 12:35 AM..
Old 28th January 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 
noah440's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller View Post
I went between the Dynaudio Bma MKiii and the Focal solos. I kept the Dynaudio's. We also have a set of audios on our mix desk for a different perspective.

The highend of the Dynaudio's worked better for me.
Man it's so funny how different everyone's ears, rooms and opinions are -- that's what makes the world an interesting place, though. I had those Dynaudios a few years ago and felt that the high end was killing me in long sessions! Too funny. Awesome that they're working for you, though.

My other monitors are Pelonis Model 42s, for another perspective, which are fantastic on their own right.
Old 28th January 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 
kuasalogam's Avatar
I'd suggest neumann KH120.
Old 28th January 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
 
JonMiller's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah440 View Post
Man it's so funny how different everyone's ears, rooms and opinions are -- that's what makes the world an interesting place, though. I had those Dynaudios a few years ago and felt that the high end was killing me in long sessions! Too funny. Awesome that they're working for you, though.

My other monitors are Pelonis Model 42s, for another perspective, which are fantastic on their own right.
I have done about 10 years of touring and I know I have lost a little bit of highend hearing especially in my right ear, that said, Client's don't complain that mixes are too bright or too dual.
Old 28th January 2016
  #21
I've tried just about all the speakers mentioned here at some point in the last 6 months. Personally for the value, my favorites were the amphion one15's. Well worth checking out, and not a big price diff from the focals even with an amp. The used amp market is pretty good right now actually.
Old 2nd February 2016
  #22
Lives for gear
 
rhizomeman's Avatar
If you are seriously considering the Solos I would try and audition the Twins. My understanding is they are similar to the solos but, 3-way driver system gives better frequency separation.

I started on Mackie HR824 and now work on the Twins and KH120s.
Old 2nd February 2016
  #23
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
If you are seriously considering the Solos I would try and audition the Twins. My understanding is they are similar to the solos but, 3-way driver system gives better frequency separation.

I started on Mackie HR824 and now work on the Twins and KH120s.

Depends on the room I imagine. Solo's often work out better in smaller rooms and don't have an additional crossover. I've had Solo's and the Sub6 in my smaller sized studio for the past 7/8 years and they have been great. Not sure how the Twins would work out but I haven't felt anything lacking.
Old 5th February 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
I ended up going for the Twin6 at the last moment over the Solos. I have two rooms. One is around 10 feet x 13 feet. The other one is 16 feet x 50 feet. The larger one is easily filled by my Mackie HR 824, just effortless. I'm getting the Twin6 for the smaller room, but if it doesn't work out, I'll try them in the larger room and see how they do.

EDIT: Ended up with Amphion One15 instead of Twin6.

Last edited by zoom25; 4th August 2016 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Update
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump