The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgraded chain, need a new mic; help
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Nut

Upgraded chain, need a new mic; help

While I'm sure many of you groaned at the millionth thread like this, I think I've created the first thread with a semicolon in the title, so hopefully that will win me some kind of response here.

I had a consistent chain before:

Studiologic 2200A (vocals) -OR- Oktava MK012 (ac gtr) -> ART ProChannel -> MOTU Traveler -> KRK5 monitors

And now I've screwed it all up by getting a Daking pre/eq. Cranesong STC-8 and Dynaudio BM5A's. After a few more paying gigs come in, I will absolutely move up to a HEDD for A/D/A, but this stunning new gear has mostly exposed the limitations of my mics, which I used to LOVE. Ha ha... ha.

The mic needs to be great on generally mellow, smooth, quiet male (baritone) vocals (Elliott Smith, Jeff Buckley). It's secondary purpose will be for acoustic guitar, both strumming (rock) and fingered (bossa, folk). But I want to sacrifice that for the vocals, if necessary. I'm putting the absolute limit at $3k but hope to spend closer to $1-2k. I'm going to try them all out, but I'd love to go in with a list of 5-6 from you all first.

More info blah blah: I love smooth, airy, rich, up-front vocals. I love coloration and flattery, up to the point where it becomes "flat" in an otherwise 3-dimensional mix.

Thanks in advance!
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

ADK redesigned Hamburg and Vienna IIau series. $1K each. The Vienna is brighter, but they're both smooth and rich. Those 2 mics would cover a lot of ground, and you'd have money left over for a Peluso P12, which would probably be a little more 'in your face' than the ADK's. It's nice to have choices, since no single mic is going to be right for everything.
Old 29th January 2007

check out the Hand Crafted Labs Faust F2 - $1200
good info here - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/48745-hand-crafted-lab-tube-micamp-compressor-blind-test-against-1176-v72-adl-more.html
and http://www.papa-movie.com/html/hand_crafted.html -

im strongly considering getting one -

or if you want to spend more $ - look at the Soundelux E251 or if you only need cardoid the E251C which will run about $3K
Old 29th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonerowlabs View Post
The mic needs to be great on generally mellow, smooth, quiet male (baritone) vocals (Elliott Smith, Jeff Buckley). It's secondary purpose will be for acoustic guitar, both strumming (rock) and fingered (bossa, folk). But I want to sacrifice that for the vocals, if necessary. I'm putting the absolute limit at $3k but hope to spend closer to $1-2k. I'm going to try them all out, but I'd love to go in with a list of 5-6 from you all first.

More info blah blah: I love smooth, airy, rich, up-front vocals. I love coloration and flattery, up to the point where it becomes "flat" in an otherwise 3-dimensional mix.

Thanks in advance!
The budget limits your choices. If you could only get one, I guess a Peluso 47 LE or Pearlman TM-1 would be really good choices. Especially for what your describing on the vocals (mellow & smooth)... it would also be quite capable for the acoustic guitar, too. It's not very "airy", but it's not dark sounding by any means. The P12 and 251 would be more modern, bright and airy sounding.

I would probably take any left over cash and invest in a good SDC...
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Nut

thanks people for the feedback. Yeah, I just can't swing more than $3k so I'll focus on the entry level high end. Making a list and checking it twice. Will report my results.

Peluso 47 LE
Pearlman TM-1
Hand Crafted Labs Faust F2
ADK redesigned Hamburg and Vienna IIau series

Quote:
I would probably take any left over cash and invest in a good SDC...
Durrr.... What does this mean? SDC?
Old 29th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonerowlabs View Post
Durrr.... What does this mean? SDC?
SDC = Small Diaphragm condenser.. to pair with the Large Diaphragm condenser on the acoustic.

Something like a Peluso CEMC6 or Neumann km84, etc.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Nut

Roger that. I'm just doing one upgrade at a time. After much research, I've decided to not pursue either ADK or Handcrafted mics. Every review or post I've read sounds EXACTLY like what lead me to purchase the Oktava MK012 and SE 2200A. I kinda figure that $2-3k is enough to get me out of that realm, which is why I've come to the HIGH END room.

Very excited about the Pearlman TM-1 and that maker in general. Seems like a good place to start.

So here's the current list between $2,000 and $3,000. I need to widdle this down to 4 or 5 mics to try personally. PLEASE COMMENT on any of them for great quiet baritone male vocals, THANKS!

Brauner: Valvet, Phantom-V
Neumann: TLM170, M147, U89, U87
Gefell: UMT800 FET, M990
Soundelux: E250, E251, IFET7
AKG: 414
Manley: Reference Cardioid
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Nut

... Looks like I'm definitely going to have to throw the Sony C48 into the mix...

AKG: 414
Brauner: Valvet, Phantom-V
Gefell: UMT800 FET, M990
Manley: Reference Cardiod
Neumann: TLM170, M147, U89, U87
Sony: C48
Soundelux: E250, E251, IFET7

... I'm hoping that some of you can take a look at this list and say that a specific mic isn't ideally suited for smooth/quiet male vocals... !

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search