The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microtech Gefell M930 or UMT70S?
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

umt70s vs..

I agree with most posts. I have used 930 several times and own a umt70s. I bought the UMT70s because its so flexible - and it has proven its worth - its in the running for almost any situation - but I must say its not exceptional in any particular situation whereas, for example, the royer 122 is flat out beautiful in several applications. Having the pattern control and the rolloff flexibility and pad can be a life saver. This is a desert island mic. It will solve a lot lot of problems with class - but if I had every mic in the world in my cab, it would probably never be used. t.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
If you go to the following link, there are four raw 44.1/24 bit .wav files, simultaneously recorded, of an instrumental piece on an acoustic guitar. The mics are pres are as follows:

Tracks 1 & 2: Schoeps CMC6/MK4 (XY config), Pendulum Audio MDP-1a.

Track 3: Gefell UMT800 (12th fret location), Pendulum Audio SPS-1.

Track 4: Gefell M294 (lower bout location), Pendulum SPS-1.

I put the sound files up for a mixing project on another forum.

Sound Files

Schoeps sounds soft compared to gefell. But M294 has nice detail and fordwardness to it. UMT800 is too colored/agressive at times.

I realize a lot of these observations could be in reality based on the mic(s) placement, so I'm taking it with grain of salt

Thanks for the files
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Schoeps sounds soft compared to gefell. But M294 has nice detail and fordwardness to it. UMT800 is too colored/agressive at times.

I realize a lot of these observations could be in reality based on the mic(s) placement, so I'm taking it with grain of salt

Thanks for the files
Yeah, the mic placements aare a major factor. In looking back, the placements were a bit too close (20"). Plus, at that time the guitar was brand new to me and I overplayed it, hence the aggresiveness is actually coming from the guitar itself.

You may want to download the files and mix pairs, or trios, of the sources. The Schoeps pair, panned about 50% each, sound nice with a bit of eq and touch of reverb. The Gefell pair, different, but also decent.

The Gefell M294 sample is from the lower bout, which is more midrangey than a 12th fret mic placement.
Old 5th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Had both. I liked the M930 better. Smoother high end to me (not as brittle).
Might depend on guitar and sound that you are after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by partnering View Post
heh that's how i would describe my mt71s smooth high end hehe. its kinda brings out a acoustics midrange in a way like turn up a very wide band midrange eq. its not going to accentuate the bass range much. never used a 930 tho. But mine is a very utilitarian mic. Its good on most things.

Yeah, Alan, I'm surprised you said that. I own an MT71s too (technically, an MT711s. The extra one stand for black.). The high end seems very smooth to me.

Jasper
Old 5th April 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

I could easily be wrong. Now that I think of it more, mine was not the "s" model and it could have been the mic pre I used it with back then. (plus it was years apart that I had each.) To me, there was nothing brittle about the high end on the M930. So I retract my statement and people should check them both out for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jasper View Post
Yeah, Alan, I'm surprised you said that. I own an MT71s too (technically, an MT711s. The extra one stand for black.). The high end seems very smooth to me.

Jasper
Old 5th April 2007
Lives for gear

Fair enough.

Jasper
Old 5th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice View Post
i am looking at the M930 (cardioid-only) and UMT70S (3-pattern).
uses would be acoustic guitar recording and vocals.

any experienced users want to chime in with the differences between these mics (other than their polar patterns)?

thanks!
~j.d.
neither of those two would be a first choice for vocals...they are both excellent as "general purpose" mics, but for vocals and guitar....id gor for the umt800 or um900....930 can be a bit sibilant at times.
Gefell doesnt make any duds, so either would be a great addition..the "S" indicates 80v capsule polarization, BTW. M200 /210/270 are also great on acoustic guitar. 294/295 and mk221 with josephson c617 bodies are just superb, mindblowing. ......
Old 5th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
If you go to the following link, there are four raw 44.1/24 bit .wav files, simultaneously recorded, of an instrumental piece on an acoustic guitar. The mics are pres are as follows:

Tracks 1 & 2: Schoeps CMC6/MK4 (XY config), Pendulum Audio MDP-1a.

Track 3: Gefell UMT800 (12th fret location), Pendulum Audio SPS-1.

Track 4: Gefell M294 (lower bout location), Pendulum SPS-1.

I put the sound files up for a mixing project on another forum.

Sound Files

Thanks for doing this. I just listened to them. First, it's nice to listen to full on 24-bit, 44.1 files. Love it.

Anyway, I really liked the sound of the UMT800. Yes, it is big and colored, but I think for solo acoustic that's fine. So I liked it for the same reason somebody else didn't. Which makes sense if you think about it.

Thanks again for the files. I love it when someone makes this kind of effort.

Jasper
PS -- Guitar playing sounded great too.
Old 5th April 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
THe UM70 is in every way fuller and bigger sounding than the 930.

to ME, there's no case in which I would prefer the 930.

but it you are considering a cardioid only mic, there is the M71 (or now MT71) which is also cardioid only.

I couldn't agree more!!!
Old 5th April 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Has anyone tried an M295 against a 692M70 nickel cap? I'm curious to hear your opinions. I've never heard a M295, but I love the 692/M70 nickel capsule sound.
Apparently its nearly the very nearly the same thing. Particularly if you get a low noise mod done to the MV 692.
Old 5th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Apparently its nearly the very nearly the same thing. Particularly if you get a low noise mod done to the MV 692.
I have a pair of M294, and have used the M295, and had a pair of 692/M95 of RFT vinatage. Similar, yes, but fairly big distinctions too. Mostly, the newer M29x mics are smoother, less agrresive and quieter. More tame, even in the context of the high accuracy and detailed they provide.
Old 5th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jasper View Post
Thanks for doing this. I just listened to them. First, it's nice to listen to full on 24-bit, 44.1 files. Love it.

Anyway, I really liked the sound of the UMT800. Yes, it is big and colored, but I think for solo acoustic that's fine. So I liked it for the same reason somebody else didn't. Which makes sense if you think about it.

Thanks again for the files. I love it when someone makes this kind of effort.

Jasper
PS -- Guitar playing sounded great too.
Thanks. I like the UMT800 too, it's very vesatile, even for my limited application.
Old 5th April 2007
Lives for gear

Man, I love your playing. The song is great too. Are you engineering? You should be playing all the time.

I too prefer the umt800, and altough placement (and preamp) must play a vital role here, I can still hear some yummy creamy sound that is not present with the schoeps wich are a bit boring IMO. iaics those 800 are expensive though.

Another question about the recording: is there any eq or comp. If you didnt compress it a bit you must be the most balanced player I ever heard. Once again, I loved the music. can i hear more? do you have a cd or something?

Thanks for the posts
Old 6th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Chao_Chao View Post
Man, I love your playing. The song is great too. Are you engineering? You should be playing all the time.

I too prefer the umt800, and altough placement (and preamp) must play a vital role here, I can still hear some yummy creamy sound that is not present with the schoeps wich are a bit boring IMO. iaics those 800 are expensive though.

Another question about the recording: is there any eq or comp. If you didnt compress it a bit you must be the most balanced player I ever heard. Once again, I loved the music. can i hear more? do you have a cd or something?

Thanks for the posts
Thanks you. Music is a hobby, both playing and recording. I'm working on a CD, two actually. Here's another tune, Leo Kottke's "Blimp", coincidentally with the same guitar, but a very different signal chain. In essence it's my gigging rig signal chain, a pickup (K&K mini) and internal mic (AKG 416) through a Pendulum SPS-1, with analog eq, and some reverb and limiting in the DAW when I bounced it.

Gigging Rig (Blimp)

As to the other recording earlier in the thread, those are raw tracks, nothing done to them at all. I put them up for one of the acoustic guitar forums in a thread on mixing tracks, hence the 4 simulateous sources.
Old 16th February 2015
also interested in these two mics. any comparisons??, would love to hear more opinions from ppl that used them for vocals. umt70s also cost atleast half more, its it worth it? or get both
Old 16th February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmasked truth View Post
also interested in these two mics. any comparisons??, would love to hear more opinions from ppl that used them for vocals. umt70s also cost atleast half more, its it worth it? or get both
Resurrection of an 8-year old thread!

The UMT 70S is 3-pattern switchable and has the Georg Neumann M7 capsule.

The M930 uses a more modern mylar capsule and is cardioid only.

Both are good, both will do what you want, but will sound different - best is to try both for yourself and get the one which does what you want.

Where are you? In many countries it is certainly possible to try out demo models for yourself.
Old 16th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Resurrection of an 8-year old thread!

The UMT 70S is 3-pattern switchable and has the Georg Neumann M7 capsule.

The M930 uses a more modern mylar capsule and is cardioid only.

Both are good, both will do what you want, but will sound different - best is to try both for yourself and get the one which does what you want.

Where are you? In many countries it is certainly possible to try out demo models for yourself.
yessir, had to bring it back for these great mics

m930 cost less so im very tempted, some say umt70s is more musical, works great on vocals but lack the details of m930, some say m930 has better details for instruments, not vocals, i read both sides,

i heard some samples, thought it sounded great, but i didnt get to hear any A/b comparisons..

Last edited by 141550; 16th February 2015 at 01:41 AM..
Old 16th February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmasked truth View Post
yessir, had to bring it back for these great mics

m930 cost less so im very tempted, some say umt70s is more musical, works great on vocals but lack the details of m930, some say m930 has better details for instruments, not vocals, i read both sides,

i heard some samples, thought it sounded great, but i didnt get to hear any A/b comparisons..
Both are great for vocals, but many prefer the M7 capsule (in the UMT 70S) for vocals.

They both have their strong points and compliment each other, so that both would be useful in a mic. kit.

It all depends on what country you are in - in the UK it's easy to borrow a demo sample of each and try yourself side-by-side. Same in most of Europe.

It's more difficult to do this in the USA where Gefell sell direct to the dealer with no overall distributor.
Old 16th February 2015
I like the M1030 and UM930 for vocals much more. The UMT70s gets picked a lot for vocals, where as the m930 gets picked a lot for instruments and ambient/distant sources. Neither of these mics have any head basket sound. But I favor the sound of the M7 capsule on Vocals for sure. Unless you have a need for a really quiet mic for recording quiet sounds, I would recommend the UMT70s. And due to its multiple patterns, it is more flexible for different applications. The pad and roll off are also valuable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search