The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kurzweil KSP8 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 9th October 2002
Lives for gear

Kurzweil KSP8

After owning this thing for about 4 months, I'm continually finding new reasons to be happy about the purchase.

It's got so many unique, but musical presets, I find it worming it's way into many overdubs, especially guitar, as a fundamental component of the sound. After owning a TC 6000 for 2 years, I find myself using the KSP8 as a creative tool far more often.

If you just want some reverb, it's a good box, though there are other good to great verbs to be had. But as an all around creative partner, this is the most impressed I've been with a piece of outboard gear as a creative tool since the original Harmonizer came out 20+ years ago.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 9th October 2002
That's exactly how I feel about my Eventide DSP7000. I did order a Kurzweil though, so hopefully I will be able to share in your enthusiasm.
Old 10th October 2002
Any ETA on the full channel AES i/o card option yet?

Old 10th October 2002
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Any ETA on the full channel AES i/o card option yet?

I'm beta testing as we speak, should be out very soon (this month?)
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

We also announced a mLAN option for the KSP8 that should be available by the end of the year. We also showed Rumour and Mangler single rack space
little siblings. More to follow. We are all still on the road training our sales managers. mLAN is very exciting. So now the KSP8 is an interface too
Old 10th October 2002
Gear Maniac

"So now the KSP8 is an interface too"

All you need to do now is to finish it off and offer a TDM/AUDIO UNIT front end for full control and automation...

Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

As soon as Pro tools moves to mLAN we are there ;-)

BTW OS 10.3 will support mLAN.
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Geosync
As soon as Pro tools moves to mLAN we are there ;-)
very cool and wishfull thinking.
Old 15th October 2002
This is how to get the ADR-68K 'verbs in a modern box

I have heard that some of the devlopers of the reverb algorithms for the old AKG ADR-68K reverb helped designed the reverbs for the KSP-8. That would explain why the reverbs on this thing sound as good as they do; they are backed by solid experience which rivals anything which Lexicon or TC Electronic can come up with.

- Sam
Old 19th October 2002
Here for the gear

I just bought a KSP-8. All i can say is WOW!!
This thing sounds incredible. I really love what it does for drums.
I think I will be selling my Lex PCM80 soon.
I really like the way the architecture is set up.
I'm using the lightpipe in, 4 mono to AES stereo out.

Just one question. Which programs are you guys using for vocal reverbs? I have a big session tommorrow and was looking for some pointers.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Whats the street price for a KSP8 with the RSP8 remote??
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Addict

KSP8 $2300 n RSP8 $490
Old 19th October 2002
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by mixdude

Just one question. Which programs are you guys using for vocal reverbs? I have a big session tommorrow and was looking for some pointers.

Thanks,
Steve
Try the "Real Plate", Preset # 90, I got great results with that one on vocals. Trim reverb length and high end to taste...
Old 19th October 2002
High End Moderator

Quote:

Thanks,
Steve
Try the "Real Plate", Preset # 90, I got great results with that one on vocals. Trim reverb length and high end to taste...
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Addict

It's pretty hard to go wrong with the verbs in it.

Personally, I find all of the plates very nice. I also quite like #5 the Sun Room (I believe), #83 My Dreamy 481 and Chain #10 Ode to Spector.

I need to spend more time building my own chains and playing with all the presets...

Best of luck.

Quote:

Thanks,
Steve
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Forgive me for being stupid....But can you use it as four separate fx. Let´s say one reverb stereo in/out, one compressor stereo in/out, one tubeamp mono in/out, one delay stereo in/out. ?? Just like the TC-6000

Old 19th October 2002
Lives for gear

"can you use it as four separate fx."

Yes you can. You can use it as 8 mono inputs if you have on of the expanion options. Here an overview http://www.geosyncmusic.com/KSP8/sld003.htm

We also just announced mLAN I/O so the KSP8 will also act as a Firewire audio/MIDI interface complete with mLAN ASIO drivers for MAC and
window XP (XP drivers still in beta) It should work with OS 10.3 as well but
detail are not complete there.

Here's some stuff from AES http://members.aol.com/kurzconnection
Old 20th October 2002
Here for the gear

Thanks for the tips.
My session went great. I cannot believe how great this unit is.
Steve
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

Has anybody done critical comparisons between the KSP8's converters and other outboard units? Seeing as the new mLan option turns it into a recording interface I'd be interested to hear how it sounds for straight conversion.
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

George

Have you got any plans to make something out of this unit into a Pro Tools plug-in?

I listened to the MP3's of the KSP8 and was wowed.

The convenience of it as a PT plug would make me buy it.

It is awesome value for money so I might buy the plug-in and the box so that I could use it on any platform too.

Cheers

Renie
Old 20th October 2002
Gear Addict

does rumour n mangler cover pretty much everything thats in ksp8 ?
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by xqtion
does rumour n mangler cover pretty much everything thats in ksp8 ?
I haven't seen the complete patch list and algorithms of the 2 units so I can't tell you what is missing from them.
Old 20th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Renie,
With the variety of I/O options available, the KSP8 can be integrated easily with almost any DAW. Unlike software plugins the KSP8 would put no load on your CPU. Though we have considered it, I wouldn't expect a plug-in version at this time.

Xqtion,
The combination of both the Rumour and Mangler have most but not all of the stereo effects from the KSP8. Neither have the 5.1 effects, effect chaining capability, depth of editing and realtime control, nor the patented analog I/O of the KSP8. Keep in mind they are under $700.00 retail each. Would a single reverb on the KSP8 sound the same almost identical on the Rumour, yes. However a combination of 2 Rumour's and 2 Manglers would still not match the power and flexibility of the KSP8.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the KSP8 is so much more than an "effects processor". Nothing like this has ever been done before. It is such an arsenal of soundshaping tools along with enough horsepower to combine them in so many different ways that we'll be exploring its possibilities for many years to come. So far we've provided thousands of ingredients, but we've only started writing the recipies.

Speaking of which...I'm working transfering, then uploading alot of new effects chains that were created on our K2600 series keyboards to emulate "vintage" electric piano effects. The combinations of amp simulators, tube simulators, phasers. leslie speakers and other effects are really incredible. Applications certainly wouldn't be limited to electric piano sounds. So we're working on this, a "real" KSP8.com website for tips and tricks, configurations, studios and presets and alot more. Hop onboard, this is going to be a wild ride. Thanks alot for your support everyone!

-Mike Martin
Kurzweil Music Systems
Old 20th October 2002
Gear Addict

why not a 96k version for the ppl who want to incorporate it digitally in their daw ?
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

Here are 2 .KSP files. CD Tracks are stereo only and GEOLAST is a combination of mono, stereo and 5.1.. There are more than 100 studios.

ftp://208.56.97.172/pub/KSP8/

I have the files from the David Bowie Heathen Tour but I have not sorted or documented the Piano,Drum and Guitar settings. Once I do, I'll post them.
Old 20th October 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Hi George,

Just checked out the website. Looks like a lot of bang for the buck. Who distributes Kurzweil in France, so I can hear one?

Jon
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

To all KSP8 owner !!!

I'm looking for a GREAT dedicated box to use as my main drum reverb. I'm using PT HD and track drums through Dakings pres How would you guys rate this box for that task ??? Thanks
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by vudoo
To all KSP8 owner !!!

I'm looking for a GREAT dedicated box to use as my main drum reverb. I'm using PT HD and track drums through Dakings pres How would you guys rate this box for that task ??? Thanks

For drums, I'd say you'd need an EMT 250/251 or a Lex 480/960 to beat it. Of course, one man's pleasure.......

It's definitely in the same drum verb league as those 2 units IMO, and beats the TC 5000 and 6000 verbs for drums. Just my opinion, though.

Brian T
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

Thanks Brian,

Well, that's REALLY great as i dig the Lexicon sound over TC for drum verbs... so if the KSP is in the same league as the Lex480/960 than it's amazing, especially for the price....someone also mentioned that it sells (street price) for around $ 2100...where have you seen this price ?? Thanks again.
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

Jon

Here is the distributor for France

France

Guillard Musiques
Z.A.C. de Folliouses Les Echets
01706 Miribel Cedex
France
(+33) 4-72-26-27-00
(+33) 4-72-26-27-01 fax
www.guillard-musiques.com
[email protected]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search