The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kurzweil KSP8 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 5th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by 20db.com
but ghoost I have a feeling we might find the same issues for our vox.

We do a lot of a cappella work so these guys are pretty critical about things like verbs.

Lee

20db ...

You may find actually, that the KSP8 verbs work quite well for cappella work. There is an airy transparency to them that does well for a natural sound preasentation
Old 5th April 2003
I would hope so...the Kurzweil sounds much much better than a 480 to my ears. It will be nice hearing some of the recordings that come out (and improve) because of this box alone over the next few years. Reverb is really underestimated, and so often overpriced to the point where there has been, up until now, a huge gap in the quality vs dollar ratio.
Old 9th April 2003
Gear Maniac

I'd like hear some more user experience regarding the KSP8's multiband compression as used in mastering applications. That and EQ comparrsons (i.e. how does the eq stack up against sony oxford, filterbank, etc).
Old 10th April 2003
Gear Addict

mlan option

George,

two questions..I'm planning on moving to Mlan and I wanted to know

A/ Does the KSP8 currently support 2 Ksp8's on 1 computer using MLan ? are we talking 16 mono output buses simultaneously? any problems there (I'm using Windows XP and an Athlon 1800)?

B/ will I still have 4 analog outputs and a stereo digital output per KSP8 using the Mlan option?

Thanks,

Buddhaman
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

Buddhaman,

now that the mLAN option is beginning to ship, we will begin to gather data on which combinations of platform and software will work best.

We are not shipping the beta mLAN drivers for XP at the moment. at Yamaha's request. Presonus is shipping it but having tremendous support problems with the installation process. we expect to get release version software by June.
The XP drivers seem OK, (Microsoft changed the installer and this where the problems exsist)

I am a Mac person, so I cannot give you personal performance of current beta software. The last I have heard, 4 inputs and 32 outputs Max and internal clock only.

on the Mac side,
OS 9 supports multiple devices and varies in performance. Software there does well with ASIO does well with mLAN. currently, I would advise Nuendo for OS9.

OS X 10.2.3 supports mLAN but only one device and most Software only allow for a stereo in and out. Logic on the other hand it is definitely the best OSX so for the the have tried and supports 8 ins and 8 outs. I think we should see an improvement for both Mac and Windows by June or July

Nuendo 1.6 on the Mac OS 9 does support 2 KSP8s pretty well, Logic seems to perform less with this configuration, I have not tested Digital Performer. I hope to get a copy for OSX.

I have made some diagrams that may help. with what is possible.

http://www.geosyncmusic.com/mLAN/2KSP8mLAN.htm
Old 11th April 2003
Mindreader

I'm going to ask something really dumb now 'cos I haven't got time to sift through everything. Sorry.

This mlan stuff.

Does this let you connect this machine straight to your computer where it is recognised buy your software therefore bypassing the ins and outs of your 'normal' hardware interface?

Is that what it's all about? Via firewire?

If so, cool.

If not, what's it all about?
Old 17th April 2003
R/T
Here for the gear

Roumor?

Hi George,
I'm also interested in the KSP-8 reverbs.
What about the roumor 'bout the 'Roumor'?
Any infos when it will come out and its price?
thanks, cheers,
bernd
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

I might be considering the KSP8 for fx and for tracking (see below). But in the research of its characteristics i saw a thing i didn't like at all:

a photo of the rear panel shows an aluminium grill which most likely hides/protects a FAN.
So, does it have a FAN inside?
Is it ANY noticeable?

I planned to have it in a flight case to take to locations along with mic pres etc, which will be standing near the OPEN MICS. If it has a fan this will neglect that kinda use.

Another question, how are the a/d converters compared to somthing like RME?
I only have a pair of decent converters and i thought if theirs are any good i could add those to mine, like, my pair of a/d routed to ksp8 aes inputs, plus use its 4 analog inputs as a/d too, and send the signal of those 6 channels to logic for recording via ksp8's adat lightpipe (via rme multiface), while sending another 4 signals (digitally) to the kurzw for fxs, returned on analog outs to the monitoring mixer, all this in a tracking/dubbing scenario.

thanx
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Hi all,

I'm sorry to be so long to respond.

BevvyB-

mLAN Is fire wire, but it is much more. It's a single driver for all devices that allows you to hook devices from different companies at the same time. This specification is open and will allow for future features. There are many devices that coming out that firewire that won't necessarily talk to each other or can be used at the same time. I made this HTML to help explain it. (one of the things that had me busy)

http://www.geosyncmusic.com/mLAN/mLANFeatures.htm

R/T-

the Rumour is a stereo unit based on the same effects engineK as the KSP8.
here is a comparison chart of the Rumour, Mangler and the KSP8
http://www.geosyncmusic.com/FX/FXComparison.html

here is an announcement page
http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/...r-mangler.html

as far as the price goes, it still could change. but the target price is 650.00US Retail they should start shipping in the next couple of months.

jindrich-

there is a fan but you would be hard-pressed to hear it. I do not have the specs so I will just say that it is practically silent. I have had my demo unit in a rackbag with a PreSonus FireStation with tube Pre's and the lake Theatre phone rack. I can honestly say heat has never been a problem.
Nor have I ever heard anyone ever mention the fan until now. I guess I am unprepared to give you a better answer because the question has never come up. maybe some of the other owners will offer their opinion.

The A/D converters are top drawer. I would say that they compare more favorably with the units that are in the price range of the KSP8 itself.
I think your configuration sounds like a very good one.

I think that has me caught up. sorry to make you wait.

if I have left anyone out, or missed any questions let me know.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search