The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kurzweil KSP8 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Maniac

I just picked up this unit. I was wondering what patches people are really digging for drum verb, vocal verb (both long and short) and general chamber type of verbs.

Thanks.
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Geosync:http://www.ksp8.com
I can't find access to any pdf brochures there, but it's no big deal.
Quote:
Originally posted by Geosync: The base unit has 4 analog In/Outs
In other words, 4 input channels and 4 output channels? What is the total count of available inputs and outputs after installation of a "KANA4 4 channel Analog I/O"?
And can the KANA4 work concurrently with another card, say M-LAN or AES/EBU? If not- is it feasible to rapidly interchange cards as session requirements dictate?

Thanks!
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Maniac

So is this unit Reverb and compression only or does it do delays?
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Maniac

This thing does everything. Reverb, Chorus, Flange, Delay, Multi Effects, Guitar Distortion, Compression, EQ, etc. It is the full boat.

The original unit is stocked with 4 Analog In/4 Analog out and an AES/EBU in/out. So you essentially have 6 in/outs that feed 8 effect engines (4 Stereo). It is pretty powerful.
Old 18th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Ok there is a guy in the harmony central forum that did an extensive review of new stuff at NAMM... he spoke to the kurzweil guys and they told him in about a year they will have the a K3000 out (successor to the k26000) and he said besides other improvements to keyboard side of things it will contain 2 KSP8s!!!! I asked if he was mistaken and if they said 2 kdfx units which would equal about 1 ksp8 and he said no...2 KSP8s! So I am thinking also that this will mean that it will go to atleast 96k... rollz
Old 21st January 2003
Lives for gear

Hey man,

Don't forget to come back and correct your post when you find out that you were given bad info . tut (mild scold)

Regarding the KSP8 ..

OS X core audio for mLAN is in working development. I showed it.
All options with the exception of KMLN8 mLAN are shipping NOW !!
Just gave one to Mike Wilk for use on Steppenwolf's DVD mixing project.
I think George Massenburg will be peeking in on this project as a frendly
helping hand. I know this will be his 1st time with the KSP8 and I should get some good feedback

mLAN should be out on the street in 3-4 weeks.

New 5.1 Bass management algs (very thorough) will be coming out as a free upgrade very soon.
We have been playing with a 5.1 Leslie too. I'm not sure where we are with that though.

I would consider the KSP8 to be complete now and should be the flagship for the next 2 years.

For all of you that came by, many thanks. We had a blast !!
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Maniac

Sorry George forgot I posted that here...

*OUCH*
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Nut

did somebody compare the reverb to any quantec?

bye

siniyuktyy
Old 23rd January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by jagarinec
did somebody compare the reverb to any quantec?
I have the KSP8 and the Quantec Yardstick.

Like any good peice of gear, it depends on what your ear is looking for. Had thought the KSP8 might become my main vox verb. For most things, that doesn't happen. For me ... it's sheer like quality that seems to predominate most of the verbs, don't quite have the type of density I was looking to encase the lead vox with, in a dense mix. I do find it works quite well on the bk vox in this situation. In a more open acuostic type soundfeild it can be just what the doc ordered on a lead vox.

Picked up the Quantec on a roll of the dice (never heard it) knowing it was a damn good box
and that could surely find some kind of use for it .... hoping it would fill my origional objective (lead vox). ... Vuola yuktyy The yardstick has the density without forsaking any detail/muddyness and works just great around a lead vox in a dense mix .... "For Me" .....

They're both great. The Yardstick of coarse doesn't do tricks like the KSP8 of coarse, which unfortunatly I havn't had time to explore yet, with the exception of the leslie options (19 in all) .. and they were awsome.

Verb comparison its simply an apples/oranges thing rollz Get both if you can .. you won't be sorry
Old 23rd January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by ghoost

Like any good peice of gear, it depends on what your ear is looking for. Had thought the KSP8 might become my main vox verb. For most things, that doesn't happen. For me ... it's sheer like quality that seems to predominate most of the verbs, don't quite have the type of density I was looking to encase the lead vox with, in a dense mix. I do find it works quite well on the bk vox in this situation. In a more open acuostic type soundfeild it can be just what the doc ordered on a lead vox.

Picked up the Quantec on a roll of the dice (never heard it) knowing it was a damn good box
and that could surely find some kind of use for it .... hoping it would fill my origional objective (lead vox). ... Vuola yuktyy The yardstick has the density without forsaking any detail/muddyness and works just great around a lead vox in a dense mix .... "For Me" .....

They're both great. The Yardstick of coarse doesn't do tricks like the KSP8 of coarse, which unfortunatly I havn't had time to explore yet, with the exception of the leslie options (19 in all) .. and they were awsome.

Verb comparison its simply an apples/oranges thing rollz Get both if you can .. you won't be sorry
Hey Ghoost,

If you ever get tired of your Yardstick and you think you want to sell it, let me know.heh

I emailed Quantec about acquiring one and they haven't gotten back to me on it yet.

Peace.
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Hey Ghoost,

If you ever get tired of your Yardstick and you think you want to sell it, let me know.heh
Hey Thrill ...

Only from my cold dead clinching paws would that have a ghoost of a chance rollz grggt heh

Quantec tends to be a bit quite in comunication mode on occasion.
Have you heard one? They are a bit scarce to come by and I got a little lucky. However, I might actually be able to scare one up for you yuktyy
Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Etnier
I can't find access to any pdf brochures there, but it's no big deal. In other words, 4 input channels and 4 output channels? What is the total count of available inputs and outputs after installation of a "KANA4 4 channel Analog I/O"?
And can the KANA4 work concurrently with another card, say M-LAN or AES/EBU? If not- is it feasible to rapidly interchange cards as session requirements dictate?

Thanks!

Sorry I missed this post till now.

8 Ins and 8 Outs. There is only 1 option slot. If you keep the backplate screws off of the options, it's a simple matter of plugging and unplugging the options.

Here is a diagram using both the base analog I/O with a mLAN option.

http://www.geosyncmusic.com/images/hookup.jpg

Hope this helps
Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by LiquidStrat
Yo George,

Have you heard any rumblings of a Unisyn profile for the KSP8?

Thanks

No but at NAMM MIDIQUEST said they would do a GUI for it for both MAC and PC.

No announcement, just an offer..
Old 29th January 2003
Gear Head

Ok, ok, you guys I want one. 8th St music in NYC has one for $2199. Anyone know anyplace cheaper?
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

That's a VERY low price.

Dealers get in trouble if they advertise below MAP of 2699.00.

I would take them up on it.
Old 29th January 2003
Gear Maniac

You might want to try Sweetwater ... Let's just say they are very competitive. Even if it's a few more bucks, the customer service and tech support are unsurpassed (at least in my experience) ... which is a rarity these days grudge
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

George.

I see there is a relatively new OS (1.81?) for the KSP8, which I downloaded.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a shred of info, even in the included readme.txt file on what features it adds or issues it addresses. Since my box works great now, if the only difference is mLan support or other features I don't use, I'd rather not upgrade.

A. Could you outline the new OS features?
B. Could you request Kurzweil include a feature list for upgrade?

Thanks,
Brian T
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

Brian,

Here is a link to the software we are currently loading into the KSP8s.
ftp://www.geosyncmusic.com/pub/KSP8/LATEST_OS/

I do not have a document that describes the changes.It supports all options including mLAN. There are internal fixes, performance improvements and subtle unpublished tweaks. I would suggest downloading and installing OS 1.9 to insure the best consistant performance over the long haul.

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT

A. Could you outline the new OS features?
B. Could you request Kurzweil include a feature list for upgrade?

Thanks,
Brian T
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by ghoost

The yardstick has the density without forsaking any detail/muddyness and works just great around a lead vox in a dense mix .... "For Me" .....

I have to admit I wouldn't mind hearing how the KSP8 sounds up against out TC-6000. Might not be fair to the KSP8 because is seems like a box that does a lot more than just verbs but ghoost I have a feeling we might find the same issues for our vox.

We do a lot of a cappella work so these guys are pretty critical about things like verbs.

Lee
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by 20db.com
I have to admit I wouldn't mind hearing how the KSP8 sounds up against out TC-6000.
I´ve tested the KSP8 against TC6000. I really think the KSP8 stands up to the TC. The KSP8 reverbs sounds as good as the TC in the mix (vocals). On drums I actually prefer the KSP8! Very natural and "tight".

The tone in the KSP8´s reverb seems to be a little brighter than the TC, maybe more to the Lexicon 480 sound.

The KSP8 is defenetly on my wish list.......
Old 19th February 2003
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 20db.com
I have to admit I wouldn't mind hearing how the KSP8 sounds up against out TC-6000. Might not be fair to the KSP8 because is seems like a box that does a lot more than just verbs . . .
Lee
I think you might be pleasantly surprised by the KSP8. It's the same as with any outboard gear, EQs, compressors, mic pres all have their special uses and some sound good where others don't and the other way around, but the KSP does a lot of things very well.
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Addict

Yeah - the verbs in this thing (and a lot of the other algorithms) rock!

Couple questions for Geosync - I downloaded the new OS, but I'm wondering if I'll lose my user presets that I've made when I do the upgrade?

Also - how the heck do I do the upgrade- I use Pro Tools LE but I never use the sequencer in it - and I don't have a smart card reader thing?! Can anyone give me tips on how to do it? As Jules said elsewhere, I'm a MIDIot...

Thanks much!
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by xqtion
KSP8 $2300 n RSP8 $490
There has been substantial talk here and elsewhere about the indispensibility of the remote. I dunno- IMHO if you have the front panel close to hand, you'll do just fine. Take a look at the extra controls available on the remote- if they're vital to you, so be it. Otherwise, if you can get the front panel close to you, I'd try just that, first.
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

For me, the Quick knobs on the remote are a major timesaver after you set them up for your favorite functions on a given preset..

BT
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

<<SNIP>>
Couple questions for Geosync - I downloaded the new OS, but I'm wondering if I'll lose my user presets that I've made when I do the upgrade?

I don't have a smart card reader thing?! Can anyone give me tips on how to do it?
<<SNIP>>

As a precaution, I would save my data to a SmartCard.... and do a hard reset

It's well worth the trouble and little cost to get a SmartCard and a Reader/Writer
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
For me, the Quick knobs on the remote are a major timesaver after you set them up for your favorite functions on a given preset..
Of course... my point was that it's easy to use the box without the remote. It's been implied that the KSP all but needs the remote, and that's not really the case.
Old 12th March 2003
Because of everyone ranting about this box I got one w remote in my place for a few weeks. I am so impressed with this sucker. The verbs are excellent, they poke out very nicely in the mix. I havent had a chance to use it for much more than verb and delays but I'm looking forward to really diving into the KSP8. I've heard great things about the multi band compressor, anyone using that?
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

The multi-band EQ and multi-band compressors are mastering quality, of course each person's taste. You may also want to check out algorithm 499 ( stereo analyze) you can actually move the phase of the stereo by adjusting the delay of the left or right signal in 0.2 sample increments. By adjusting this, you can get back this snap of the mix without squashing it with compression.
Old 4th April 2003
Gear Addict

8th Street Music

Based on the reviews in this thread i just ordered a KSP 8...thanx guys!!!

8th street had an open box one for $1995...if you want one check their website for specials like that...what a deal.

First Impressions to follow

Buddhaman
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

You'll have a ball. I just bought one as well and I am the product manager

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search