The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kurzweil KSP8 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 20th October 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Thank you, George.
Old 21st October 2002
Lives for gear

Glad to help. I'm sure you will like what you hear.
Old 21st October 2002
Gear Addict

hey Geosync , do u know if they sell one in korea ?
Old 21st October 2002
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by vudoo
To all KSP8 owner !!!

I'm looking for a GREAT dedicated box to use as my main drum reverb. I'm using PT HD and track drums through Dakings pres How would you guys rate this box for that task ??? Thanks
Go for it. Definitely in the same league as the high end TC and Lex boxes and in some cases even better for drum reverb.
Old 21st October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by xqtion
hey Geosync , do u know if they sell one in korea ?
Here is the contact information to find out.

Young Chang Akki Co., Ltd.
178-55 Gajwa-Dong
Seo-Ku, Inchon
South Korea, 404-250
(+82) 32-570-1008
(+82) 32-576-2252 fax
Old 21st October 2002
Gear Addict

thanks!
Old 21st October 2002
Gear Addict

Rumor and Mangler

Any more details on these boxes? Expected arrival date? Is Under $700 the retail or street price? Any suprising goodies?

Bear
Old 21st October 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Rumor and Mangler

Quote:
Originally posted by Gone Fission
Any more details on these boxes? Expected arrival date? Is Under $700 the retail or street price? Any suprising goodies?

Bear
Arrival 1st of 2003. Under $700.00 retail
The biggest surprise is the sound for the price, like their big brother.
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener

Go for it. Definitely in the same league as the high end TC and Lex boxes and in some cases even better for drum reverb.
Michael

For vocal reverb, do you KSP8 is also of comparable quality to the high end Lex and TC boxes?

cheers

Renie
Old 22nd October 2002
Old 23rd October 2002
Is Christopher Moore still working with Kurzweil

For people who do not know, Christopher Moore is one of the five or so leading designers of digital reverbs; his talents rival the best Lexicon has to offer. He worked on the Ursa space reverb, and later on with the AKG ADR-68K. More recently, he has worked with the KDFX, which is the predessor to the KSP-8.

My question is whether Mr. Moore is still working with Kurzweil, so that the reverbs, as they get updated (5.1 sound, 96k, etc.), they continue to have the same level of excellence.

I also haven't seen a manual online, so I am curious where one may be obtained--I am, in particular, curious what kinds of reverbs the KSP-8 has and what the reverb parameters are. I am one of those people that like having a lot of reverb parameters to play with, even if it allows me to program a poor-sounding reverb.

- Sam
Old 23rd October 2002
Lives for gear

Here is the link to the manuals.

ftp://ftp.youngchang.com/pub/Kurzwei.../KSP8/Manuals/
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Maniac

samiam,
Christopher Moore was a contract employee. He was involved in the orginal KDFX development. Those same algorithms are found in the KSP8.

-Mike Martin
Kurzweil Music Systems
Old 24th October 2002
Gear Maniac

I have played around the hole day with a KSP-8 and the remote, and gotto say it´s freaking AMAZING!! I have lots of experience with the 6000 & 480. The KSP-8 is great for $3000!!! Very versatile. The reverbs works really good on instruments and drums. I´ve got a Lexicon feeling ´bout it. Bright and smooth. The compressor section just kicks ASS!! I´ve never heard a digital compressor smash the drums as the KSP-8, -awesome-

As a major gearszlut, this is a must have.....Bargain!!!!

/SlimJim
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
....The compressor section just kicks ASS!! I´ve never heard a digital compressor smash the drums as the KSP-8, -awesome-

As a major gearszlut, this is a must have.....Bargain!!!!
/SlimJim
I'd forgotten about how good the compression is in this thing. Almost Distressor-ish.

I assume people have mentioned this already but at:

http://monster.harmony-central.com/mason/login.html

you can upload samples and then apply the KSP8 effects. I uploaded a vocal and drum sample, and tried out probably 50 patches. After doing this I immediately went out and bought one (I tried out the other fx boxes as well).
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

Wow, George. Looks like you owe me one for starting this thread, buddy

Brian T
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Addict

Neve slut! how is it on vox ?
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Works fine on vocals aswell. However the 6000 is a little smoother for that big ballad vocals.....(damn I can´t afford the 6000 & 480 to)
So I will go for the KSP-8 with remoteyuktyy
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by xqtion
why not a 96k version for the ppl who want to incorporate it digitally in their daw ?
Important question...can't see an answer in this sprawling thread...
are there plans to take the KSP8 up to 96k?
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Renie,
Sorry that I didn't address your question before. The KSP8 DSP hardware is not capable of doing 96k. So this is not something we can accomplish with a software update or option. Rates above 48k would be an entirely new product and it will likely be quite a long while before a KSP8 replacement. Keep in mind a 96k product with the KSP8's capabilities would also cost ALOT more (probably double).

Depending on your work environment (send/return rather than insert), sample rate conversion hardware might do the trick for you.
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Nut

I`m also a proud owner of a KSP8, had it for a month now.
It`s truly amazing!
Haven`t tried the compressor that much, so I `ll have to give it a shot....
I pretty much tought that a digital compressor had to suck, didn`t bother trying it......

Amund
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Amund my Amund....The compressor in the KSP-8 is not like any other digital comps. It´s smashing like the distressor, pumping like the Chandler EMI....rollz
Defenetly worth checking out!!!! especialy on drums.

Very nice......icke sant
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Nut

Svensker her også! Oslo er full av svensker for tiden!

Yeah, will test this over the weekend!

But this will introduce some converter delay,as I will get some phase trouble using it on a paralell buss......

Amund

Rock on!

Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Martin
Renie,
Sorry that I didn't address your question before. The KSP8 DSP hardware is not capable of doing 96k. So this is not something we can accomplish with a software update or option. Rates above 48k would be an entirely new product and it will likely be quite a long while before a KSP8 replacement. Keep in mind a 96k product with the KSP8's capabilities would also cost ALOT more (probably double).

Depending on your work environment (send/return rather than insert), sample rate conversion hardware might do the trick for you.
Thanks for the information Mike.
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by plexi

But this will introduce some converter delay,as I will get some phase trouble using it on a paralell buss......

Yepp, paralell compression is not to recomend with digital compressors. However if your into Protools mixing, you can bounce the trax you want to paralell compress and the import them to a new track. Then digitaly insert the KSP-8 compressor and predelay it. (This normaly works very bad, but hey it´s just a thought.....)rollz

Ha de gott
Old 3rd November 2002
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

The AES options were a bit late but they will ship to dealers as soon as we return from NAMM.

It looks like the mLAN option will ship in about 60 days. We'll have something cool to show at NAMM.

The demos will use the KSP8s over FireWire as the interface as well as the processor. Also another cool surprise ..
Old 8th January 2003
Thanks for the heads up Brian!

Old 11th January 2003
Gear Addict

Literature?

Can someone point me to a URL for a brochure pdf? Also- does the base unit come with stereo analog and AES/EBU I/O?

If anyone wants to mail me leads for good pricing, certainly appreciated.

Old 11th January 2003
Lives for gear

http://www.ksp8.com

The base unit has 4 analog In/Outs and AES/EBU or S/PDIF IN Out.

You can also demo it online at:

http://monster.harmony-central.com/mason/login.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search