The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Royer 122V - sibilance?
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear
Royer 122V - sibilance?

Has anybody had increased problems of sibilance with this mic?

I am not being critical.............I really like this mic for electric guitars and vocals.

But.........I am having more sibilance problems with this mic than others. Maybe just me and this mic.

I still like it a LOT. Just got to find a way to reduce the problem.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear
I have a 122 and two 121's. I have not noticed any sibalance problems yet in any of the mics.

I used the 122 for recording spoken vox once and the 121 for accapella vox.

Most of the time I use them to record instruments.

I'll bet that 122V is amazing!
Old 27th January 2007
Here for the gear

Do you mean that there's too much sibilants or too little?

I have one and I think that some simple shelf high-end EQ-ing is required to get the brighter sound with this mic - but it DOES take any EQ very well.

I can't see how "too much" sibilants could happen with this mic. But who knows - with a preamp from Mars maybe

I've been using the Royer R-122V with Chandler Germanium and the tone is AMAZING - recording sections of violins so far and I'm getting some real special British orchestral sound with no EQ and no reverb and whatever else. Just dry this mic is great on this, but it's a special, "historic" sound, not modern and not Hollywood type. Lacking "high def presence" but gaining some kind of "sound of forest" - that's the only description I can give it. The film that I'm scoring requires British sound, though.

I did try it on my vocals and I can say that it's the WARMEST mic for some of male vocs (but not necessarily for ALL female - depends on the tone of the vocalist... I tried it on a Kate Bush - type of female vocalist and it wasn't as full sounding as an Audix that the vocalist has at her home... however, that Audix needs some good de-esser after it big time). But the EQ can definetely help on the high end for adding more presence with the 122V. But again - this mic takes any EQ very well.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear
Thanks guys. Sounds like there should not be a problem. I'm going to have Royer take a look at it.
Old 27th January 2007
member no 666

Try angling the mic back about 5'... it should cure that issue.
Old 24th March 2007
Lives for gear

No sibilance problems here... Compared to the 121 it has a little less high end. Did you already get it back from Royer?
Old 25th March 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVelvet View Post
No sibilance problems here... Compared to the 121 it has a little less high end. Did you already get it back from Royer?
I got it back right away, fully checked out. No problem with the mic, all with my technique. The detail in this mic is amazing, it catches everything and it doesn't overlook faulty technique.

Working fine now, after some practice. Great microphone for vocals and guitar.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search