The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG C12VR Anyone have one? Thoughts?
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

AKG C12VR Anyone have one? Thoughts?

Anyone own one of these? What can you compare it too as far as sound? Seems a bit pricey for $5K but what is it really worth? Anyone care to share their thoughts on this mic and it's uses?
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I own a C12VR. It's good.
It doesn't sound exactly like a C12, but it sounds really good.

Is it worth 5k?
To me it would depend on what else was in my mic collection.
That's pretty hefty, I might buy a CM7 from Wunder Audio first.
Once again, it really depends on the "colors" of the mics you already own.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Addict

it doesnt get too many good reviews on here never heard it but apparently sounds nothing like the real c12. A couple of people who have them dont hate them so much but theyd find it hard 2 after shelling out so much cream.
Im sure theres plenty of pros here who know about them or have used them.

blessings
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I used a pair for piano and for lead vocals on my last record, www.myspace.com/adamminer. the song dangerous eyes is the c12vr. Maggie has a u47 for the first stanza, then moves to the c12vr. They are expensive indeed and I haven't tried them in comparison to their knock-offs like peluso. if you've got that kind of money to drop i'm sure your local music store would be happy to send you home with a few options to try the c12vr against. it sounds like a dream though and tends to be great for singers like me who have a lot of presence in their voice but who could use a little sparkle and rumble. for all the tube mic's i've used nothing felt the same as when i had the c12vr in my phones. it sounded like it had a fuzzy blanket and a bit of compression just tracking dry. I enjoyed it more than the well maintained u47 and the u87 I also had access to.

it benifited greatly though from the tube pre I used as well. it was an aphex 1100.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search