The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Telefunken AK47 users?
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Any Telefunken AK47 users?

It's come down to a choice between the Peluso 22 47LE and the Telefunken AK47.
Sonic personality, preamp decisions and budget have led me to these two mics.
From what I can tell without hearing them, they're pretty close but I haven't seen any head to head comparisons of these two mics. From what I can tell the Peluso has a little more 'high end' presence..."scooped" "smile curve" etc...

I'm planning to use this mic for music that feaures up-front vocals. Singer/songwriters,
jazz singers (male and female), country/bluegrass sessions, and some spoken word.

I already have a Mojave MA200, AT 4050, Royer 121, Sennheiser MKH 40 P48, Josephson C42s, Shure 57 and 58, and when needed, I can borrow a great vintage C12,
and a Neumann M149.

My preamps are UA610, a TL Audio Dual Valve pre/comp. I'm thinking of adding either the Aurora GTQ2, Great River MP2-NV or perhaps a Vintech 273.

So, if anyone is using these mics, I'd appreciate your thoughts on which one might be better for what I've described. Unfortunately, I haven't found a dealer that carries these mics that's cool with me trying them out and sending the one back.

thanks for your ears
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

bump
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have recently used the Great River with the AK-47 and liked the match. The thing about the AK-47 is it can be pretty smooth and musical, and should I say, sweet, which is great on lots of things. If you want a little more boldness or agressiveness, the Great River is a great choice to bring out all the potential in the mic. Also, on another thread we have been talking about Vintage Design pres, and we did a shootout of a couple different VD pres using the AK-47 on guitar. That was also really successful chain.

VD Pres
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I've used the AK-47 on a few things so far and it's stellar.
I want one bad.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I've heard the Ak-47 are pretty good at killing people.

It has a rather snappy sound but a kind of a vintage vibe.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Just another vote on the AK47. It really gives that 90's clean snappy acoustic guitar sound. Funny thing is that out of all my pre's I haven't run it through my MP-2NV yet. I'll have to try that tommorrow.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Maniac

thanks for your replies, slutzers.

I'm still wondering if anyone's done a head to head comparison between the AK47 and the Peluso 22 47LE. I haven't heard anything about either of these mics that would be a deal killer, just curious regarding any obvious or subtle tonal differences espicially when recording male vocals and acoustic guitar.

I know there are so many variables that come into play when testing mics.
The room, the singer/player/instrument, the preamp etc.....but any info is helpful
thanks again.

BTW, I'm 99% sold on the Aurora GTQ2 pre. I was going to get the GR but having the EQ on the GTQ2 is a big plus for me. I'm pretty confident that either of these mics with the GR or the Aurora will be quite nice. So this is just my last little bit of research before I make my decision.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Nut

I'm intersted in the Peluso myself. I have an AK 47 and it is very good. A bit more top than I expected. I found myself De-Essing a bit more with this one on vocals than a U47 or an SM-7. but it really smokes on drum room if the drummer doesn't kill the hat, and also excellent on acoustic gtr. Still waiting to hear the 22 47 though...
Old 30th January 2007
Dot
Lives for gear

We've used and tested all of the Peluso and R-F-T mics. If you want something with a bigger, more airy sound, the Peluso 22 47LE would be a good choice.

If you want something with a more vintage, colored sound that works well in a dense mix, the AK47 works well.

I've got a review where I mention some of the differences at...
http://www.studioreviews.com/telefun...m16-review.htm
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Maniac

thanks for the concise comparison of the 22 47LE and the TeleAK47.
Based on that evaluation and the studioreviews piece, I would lean towards the
Peluso for my specific needs. Unless, of course, all the Lawson users chime in.

I listened to the audio on the Lawson site and I must admit, those tracks sounded pretty nice. Some nice guitar playing as well. It's easy to get seduced by great sounding audio clips,but...what pre was used? Any EQ or compression? Were the VO samples tracked thru the same chain? yada yada yada...

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll be taking a little time to decide.
First, the GTQ2.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I gotta' say that my acoustic has never sounded as good as with the AK-47 and I'm REALLY picky about mics. It also sounded amazing on vocals. Maybe I'm just a "vintage" guy though. It just sounds *right* to me.

Haven't heard the Peluso though so can't comment.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Reading some on-line reviews, the AK47 seems to be considered dark when compared to classic Neumanns or other newer condensers. This is probably why I like it. I have always gravitated towards un-hyped "darker" mics. I love ribbons, for instance. My own favorite U87 is very smooth in the highs, much less sizzly than a modern '87. And the other mics I use every day are my SM7 dyamic and my Sony C48 condenser, both "darkish" by most standards. The marquee of a good "dark" mic is being able to handle some high-end shelf EQ and still sound great. I can boost highs all day long on my Royer 121 and it never sounds un-natural. I'd rather be adding a little high-end than to be fighting too much of it. Digital recording already does a pretty good job of finding and amplifying the harshness in a sound. Better to start with something a little rounder/"darker".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search