The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me fill out my lunchbox 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 21st January 2016
Help me fill out my lunchbox

Getting into the 500 series game and I need some help. I make hip hop, so I'm only tracking vocals and some piano & live instruments (sometimes). I already have a 1073 style preamp (BAE) and I want to get a Heritage audio 73eq, Great River 32eq, and API 550A. Im pretty set on those 3 EQs but I'm also considering an API 512 for running some pure digital signals like synths and sampled drums, but would I already be getting that benefit of the circuit with the 550A? Would I be better off with another EQ? Saving my money?
Old 22nd January 2016
Lives for gear

there are some nice comp's if you already have a few eq. Brute. Vandengraph. cranesong to name a few
Old 22nd January 2016
Lives for gear
I'd grab the futuristic stuff that can be controlled via plug in as well like Wes Audio's new 1176 and all the bettermaker units...especially their new dual mono compressor that's set to hit the market soon. Also look into Rtz peq 1549 eq...it is serious!
Old 22nd January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZJETSON View Post
there are some nice comp's if you already have a few eq. Brute. Vandengraph. cranesong to name a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
I'd grab the futuristic stuff that can be controlled via plug in as well like Wes Audio's new 1176 and all the bettermaker units...especially their new dual mono compressor that's set to hit the market soon. Also look into Rtz peq 1549 eq...it is serious!

I'm good on comps. I'm more concerned with breathing life into digital signals through amps (unless I get the same benefit through a EQ)
Old 22nd January 2016
Gear Nut
Eq's can help with overall shaping, but I think you are looking for something with tranny's or tubes to add "weight" to your music. I like little devils, electra, avedis, neve (1073), CAPI...plenty of options out there
Old 22nd January 2016
Gear Maniac

Maybe some organic distortion could help? Check out the Amtec DST-5A:

VIDEO HERE
Old 22nd January 2016
Gear Nut

Hip-hop? I'd definitely recommend some SSL EQ and compressors :-)
They also have the newer LMC+ which seems to offer some very creative horizons.
Old 23rd January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Fitz View Post
Maybe some organic distortion could help? Check out the Amtec DST-5A:

VIDEO HERE
Damn that thing is awesome. Can't find it anywhere though? I do have a Distressor (Brit mod) and 1176 to run some all buttons distortion. Wish I had a pair of both to run stereo though :/
Old 25th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcalvillo View Post
Damn that thing is awesome. Can't find it anywhere though?
Available for sale in the US through DSPdoctor,
DSPdoctor - Amtec DST-5A
Old 30th January 2016
Lives for gear

I highly recommend the classic api gear. The capi vp28 is great for running digital synths through -- you can run them at Line Level!

They are perfect for just adding a bit of "vibe" without having to gain up your source. You also have the option of using more gain and then attenuating it at the output stage to drive it for more analogue coloration

The circuit is not only an api preamp clone, but also the output stage of the api console...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcalvillo View Post
I'm also considering an API 512 for running some pure digital signals like synths and sampled drums
Old 30th January 2016
Lives for gear

You can make a good record with anything though. Any plug in or any hardware piece.

It is all about just having good taste.

A good tool helps, but is not necessary for making interesting work !
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear
^ nice speech.

now onto the TOOLS! I'd consider some extreme coloring like filters (moog), standard level-or and DIY colour modules. CAPI is a great recommendation as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search