The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Distressor LEDs stuck Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th January 2016
Gear Nut
Distressor LEDs stuck

Hey there,

I bought two Distressor EL8-X (with brit mod) second hand recently. They're only a few years old and look like they are in great condition.

They worked fine for a couple of days however yesterday, the gain reduction LEDs on one of them is constantly on (just 8db, 7, 6 & 5) however the unit seems to sound fine. Turning the input all way down or bypassing the unit doesn't change anything. They're constantly on.
The 2nd unit has also just started to do it on LEDs 4 to 1db.

They were packed very well for the shipping and no damage was noticeable on the box.

Has anyone had this problem? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Old 20th January 2016
Gear Addict

Do the lights stay on even when the input and output are connected? I had stray earth on my patch bay at one point, and some but not all of the compressors, including my Distressors, showed GR when not plugged in. As soon as they were connected, the LEDs would return to normal.
Old 20th January 2016
Gear Nut
Having the ins/outs connected doesn't make a difference.
Attached a photo. No signal what so ever being passed through it, input is at 0. (the 2nd unit kind of makes that clear due to the lights which are on)
Attached Thumbnails
Distressor LEDs stuck-dist-led.jpg  
Old 20th January 2016
Gear Addict

OK, that is odd, and different to the problem that I had. The only other thing that I have ever seen go wrong with Distressors is when they power up, but don't retain the settings that were there before, which is due to a leaky capacitor in the memory circuit. But that fault never had any GR lights appear on.

Bizarre that both units developed a fault at the same time. Before taking them to a tech, I would suggest possibly powering them up in a different studio, a friend's house, just to rule out any kind of earthing/power issue where you are. Otherwise, find a good tech!
Old 20th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
Having the ins/outs connected doesn't make a difference.
what about the power cord?

you know, to eliminate the supernatural.
Old 20th January 2016
Gear Addict

No Input

Except Voltage that is not audible you mean...
Old 20th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidyhall View Post
OK, that is odd, and different to the problem that I had. The only other thing that I have ever seen go wrong with Distressors is when they power up, but don't retain the settings that were there before, which is due to a leaky capacitor in the memory circuit. But that fault never had any GR lights appear on.
Thanks for your information aidyhall.

I have a question for you if you don't mind:

My Distressors never have retained their settings. Can this be easily fixed in the studio, or does it require sending back to the factory?

I've also had periodic problems with the detector button not working. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it won't work at all. Is this a related problem, or different altogether from the leaky capacitor in the memory circuit?
Old 21st January 2016
the banks of LEDs can go bad.
they're in banks of 4 or 8, i forget.
one of mine has this problem.
contact EL. Dave always responds super fast and is really helpful.
he gave me instructions how to fix this for my tech as i'm in Germany and didn't want to ship back to the US.
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut
Thanks for the help guys. The fact the GR leds 5-8 are illuminated (but not 1-4) suggest its an LED issue and not an input issue.
Now I need to find a tech near me!
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Call them up. They are the best with support and will get you back up. I'd wait till after NAMM though.
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurveman View Post
Thanks for your information aidyhall.

I have a question for you if you don't mind:

My Distressors never have retained their settings. Can this be easily fixed in the studio, or does it require sending back to the factory?

I've also had periodic problems with the detector button not working. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it won't work at all. Is this a related problem, or different altogether from the leaky capacitor in the memory circuit?
A tech fixed mine for me in about 10 minutes. It's a capacitor that basically acts as a battery to retain the settings. Swapped it out, done. I couldn't tell you which one, though! But it is an easy fix.

I"m guessing the Detector button is a different problem. Could just need cleaning out, or replace the switch. Again, should be a quick fix for a good tech.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidyhall View Post
A tech fixed mine for me in about 10 minutes. It's a capacitor that basically acts as a battery to retain the settings. Swapped it out, done. I couldn't tell you which one, though! But it is an easy fix.

I"m guessing the Detector button is a different problem. Could just need cleaning out, or replace the switch. Again, should be a quick fix for a good tech.
Thanks!
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
Thanks for the help guys. The fact the GR leds 5-8 are illuminated (but not 1-4) suggest its an LED issue and not an input issue.
Now I need to find a tech near me!
Contact Kev at Unity Audio. He's the UK Distributor and should be able to recommend someone to check the units over and repair them.

Alternatively you could try someone like Funky Junk in London?
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Head

happened with my distressor. the led's are controlled by IC chips. In my case it was Bargraph LEDs 9 - 14. I replaced the IC and that fixed the problem. Best to write Dave Derr to confirm
Old 5th March 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Wakerickman , do you have a schematics for this thing ? I am working as a tech at LA , so if you can help me , I'll be happy
to share with you any schematics I have for other audio recording or amps....
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

I have no basis to think this would do anything, but... Try plugging in a TRS cable to the stereo link in and out and flipping the stereo link toggle. I can't remember if the LED's sync between the units when they are linked, at the very least it might do something to kick the LED's back to normal... If I were you, I would usually be in the "try anything" mindset by now.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search