The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
your Favorite Clean / fast Preamp ? Dual-Channel Preamps
View Poll Results: Best Clean Preamp ?
Millennia
13 Votes - 8.44%
Grace
10 Votes - 6.49%
Earthworks ZDX series
5 Votes - 3.25%
GML 8300 series
19 Votes - 12.34%
Jim Williams
4 Votes - 2.60%
Gordon
16 Votes - 10.39%
John Hardy
18 Votes - 11.69%
NPNG
14 Votes - 9.09%
Avalon AD2022
13 Votes - 8.44%
Crane Song Flamingo
11 Votes - 7.14%
Benchmark
1 Votes - 0.65%
DAV BG1
10 Votes - 6.49%
True Systems
2 Votes - 1.30%
RME
5 Votes - 3.25%
AMPEX
0 Votes - 0%
Other (Specify)
36 Votes - 23.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th January 2016
Gear Guru

Another vote for the Buzz MA2.2. So that's 3 so far -- it deserves to be in the conversation. I've only tried 6 things on the list, though, and only own one of them.
Old 17th January 2016
Gear Nut
GML; Maselec & Korg. Yes, believe it or not, they made fast clean preamps.

Not so clean, but good with fast transients: TFPro & Joemeek Ted Fletcher stuff.

Peace.

(c) 2016 Claud
Old 17th January 2016
Gear Nut
There is a shortage of options in good quality affordable transformer based pres these days. By affordable, I mean sub 1000, in $s, £s or Euros.

Business idea for someone.

No end of boutique one shot stuff though, also at a price.

And is it me, or does the DWFearn stuff just look so lovely, you feel drawn towards certain financial ruin, in the wanting of racks of it for your studio? Just one unit would finish me

Peace.

(c) 2016 Claud
Old 17th January 2016
Gear Nut

Fast, Detailed

Burl B1D, like it for fast stuff the SSL SuperAnalouge on the AWS are nice and clean too.

Cheers
Old 17th January 2016
Gear Nut
Maybe I will get the passive DI, just so I can say I have DW Fearn stuff But rather than kicking around the floor with the other DI boxes, it can sit in the producer's chair with the cat, or on top of the desk.

What is the saying, red and green, shame to be seen? So maybe it is not in my destiny.

Don't you just want the whole range? I remember Systems Workshop, the UK distributor of Tube Tech used to have recordings completely made with tube tech. Someone must be doing the same with DW Fearn stuff?

Perhaps I am a Gearsl.. at heart after all. Help.

Peace.

(c) 2016 Claud
Old 19th January 2016
Lives for gear

I've used GML & Hardy which have been studio standards for many years. While not made anymore, my clean, honest, fast favorite is the Neotek MicMAX which is basically a Neotek Ellite II mic pre with better quality components.
Old 20th January 2016
Gear Head
buzz ma2.2!!!
Old 20th January 2016
Lives for gear
How about the Empirical Labs Mike E EL9 preamp
Old 20th January 2016
Lives for gear

I really like the NPNG. It is very fast.
Old 20th January 2016
Lives for gear

The preamps on the Metric Halo ULN-8 are fantastic clean pres. I sold my DAV BG-1s and DACS Micamp since I wasn't using them any more.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Forssell.
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Pueblo by a mile. Next level down is Forssell and Boulder Twin Servo (now sold as Hardy Twin Servo)

-Ben
Old 23rd January 2016
Forssell. Liked my hardy but love the forssell. Hard to put my finger on it but it just sounds great. Feels more balanced than many and it takes preamp plugins like the UAD 1073 channel well. Meaning it sounds a lot like my actual 1073 after that plug is applied. It just always always works
Old 23rd January 2016
Forssell SMP-2A, but still haven't tried the Pueblo or Gordon preamps.
Old 24th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Another vote for the Buzz MA2.2. So that's 3 so far -- it deserves to be in the conversation. I've only tried 6 things on the list, though, and only own one of them.
your's make 4 actually! Im a bit shocked its not on the list, this pre on snare and guitars is untouchable.
Old 24th January 2016
Gear Addict

GML Model 2032
Old 28th January 2016
Lives for gear

I haven't tried all that many on the list but I do really like the Buzz MA2.2. If I was buying a clean pre I would check that out.
Old 28th January 2016
Lives for gear

How about the Gefell AP 1? Should be up there with the best of them.
Old 13th February 2016
Lives for gear

There ain't nothing like a GML. It's truly like being there. It doesn't get any faster or more detailed. The GML is a very unique bird.

Stuff like the 9098, AD2022 etc are actually quite colored by comparison... in a good way... so it all just depends on your preferences.

Much of the other "clean" pres out there are, in my opinion, "clean with a color"... the GML though is truly like "straight wire"... zero coloration, it's SCARY.

So if you want flat out "being there" type of response... as fast as reality... the GML is the only choice.

Old 14th February 2016
Gear Nut

+1 for Grace. I felt it is faster than M1, when I A/B'd, but this is ONLY MHO..
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

I have tried both the Grace and the Hardy M1....for me the Hardy was the hands-down winner.
Old 15th February 2016
Martech MSS-10
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Gordon for me.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear
Millennia.
Old 16th February 2016
Here for the gear
Thermionic Culture Earlybird
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear
Jim Williams HSMP here. Insanely fast and detailed, cleaner than clean and headroom forever...
Old 17th February 2016
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search