The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Summing Choice Summing Mixers
Old 20th January 2016
Lives for gear

Given the reduced price on a number of good used mixers out there, I would not rule out using a mixing board SOLELY AS A SUMMING MIXER (meaning I don't track through the board and generally use outboard eq). Used Midas boards for example can sound nice for summing. I have even had good luck on rock records using a Mackie 8 bus for summing (but its not slutty). Most dedicated summing boxes seem quite expensive to me given what you get. I am not sure some of them are worth it compared to a real mixer used for summing. Analog summing always tends to sound better to me, but there are always exceptions.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

I don't think summing is worth it, but this unit relays in the sound of a stereo mic pres of your choice, the sound would depend on the micpre choice

SB2 Passive Summing Mixer Kit – DIYRE

best
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
more?
Old 27th January 2016
Gear Guru

My take? It's not the "sum" it's what FOLLOWS and PRECEEDS the "sum". You can get virtually the same end result with way less wiring, patch bay and DA costs with something like a Silver Bullet or even a coloured mic pre.

Save $$$ & get more flexibility
Old 27th January 2016
Check out the Summing ChoiceInnerTUBE Audio "FAT MAN"....Bombs away!
Old 27th January 2016
Quote:
Any other piece of advice ?
To provide TheSummingStation (remore analog summing) service, We could have picked any box on the market. In the end, we elected to invest in the Burl B32 Vancouver.

We did it foremost for the sound and the 32 inputs... and then the gain control, +6dB, the small footprint and the superb build quality.

Orion 32 -> Burl B32 -> A-Design Hammer -> Burl B2 Bomber

Our clients love the result!

Axel
Old 28th January 2016
Here for the gear
Vintagetools Sonic Summarizer

Quote:
Thanks for the reply
Interesting never heard about that Vintagetools Sonic Summarizer pro.
Is it really worth ?
PLease tell me abouth the "few other pieces" you mentionned

Regards
Sergio
Hi Sergio,

for me it is worth it. In fact one of the coolest pieces of gear I bought in the last couple of years. I didn´t know it either, but when I talked to Oliver from vintagetools, he told me they are a small company and they don´t do no marketing. It´s all word of mouth. Ask him if you can test one. I love mine and I just purchased another Vintage Tool. The VT976. There´s not much gear on the market with such high build quality. Maybe BAE and Heritage. There are some youtube videos about the Sonic Summarizer and Vintagetools. They explain the whole idea behind the gear.
Old 28th January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
more?
I recently started using the Woven Audio Summer, it's an inexpensive 8x2 passive Summer that needs gain makeup. It works well with Chandler Germaniums for gain. Might be an impedance thing, for me, other really good preamps did not work as well in that application. Also, I saw that DAV makes a summer, it's 32x2, I know nothing about it, I just like his preamps.

The Woven mixes have more front to back depth, width and are more relaxed/impactful. My Woven mixes pretty much kill what I do itb.

AND!!!!! One thing I'll say, don't test one of these summers by splaying out the same itb mix and expect a big diff. Aligned to a 10th of a db, there will be some diff, but not a ton. I've owned the Woven for a few years and did not really appreciate it until I quit comparing and just started mixing with it. IMO, unless it's degrading, probably any summer along with with decent D/As, and good preamps will produce a better result. Good Luck!
Old 29th January 2016
I 2nd using a console for summing. When I finally moved up to the Trident 80b it was a big improvement even over the multiple summing boxes I had, and way better than itb. There are so many deals on boards right now and if you get something decent like the 80b you get a ton of great pres and eq also, along with a patch bay, talkback, monitor control etc.

I even found using my soundcraft ghost was worth it to sum through. That's under a grand and rivaled most summing boxes I tried
Old 29th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleys100 View Post
I 2nd using a console for summing. When I finally moved up to the Trident 80b it was a big improvement even over the multiple summing boxes I had, and way better than itb. There are so many deals on boards right now and if you get something decent like the 80b you get a ton of great pres and eq also, along with a patch bay, talkback, monitor control etc.

I even found using my soundcraft ghost was worth it to sum through. That's under a grand and rivaled most summing boxes I tried
+1
Believe it or not my Soundcraft 8000 (which is far for being a $$ desk) sounds phenomenal compared to most summing or itb.. (and also compared to most small mixers).

Besides being a very good desk and let you work without the damn mouse, which is exciting to me, it sounds like a record when you print the master. (despite the band or the mix).

At least this is my experience with it..

Cheu
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search