The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adam P33A versus BM15A, opinions????
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Nut

Adam P33A versus BM15A, opinions????

I would appreciate opinions of Forum members who have used these two somewhat similarly priced NFMs.
Thank you,
ES
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hmm, these two may be priced in the same area but the similarities pretty much end there.

I've used both and they are very different from each other, both in construction and sound. The P33 has more mid and high end detail due to the ribbon tweeter. The BM15 is a more conventional monitor and reproduces the bass differently than the P33 (9" vs. 7.5" woofer). The BM15 may be too large for smaller rooms because of all the bass output. However, the P33s can also be picky with placement and sound different in the vertical or horizontal position.

In terms of preference, of course it's a personal thing - but for me and the music I mix I prefered the P33s. They do make you work harder to get the lower mids and bass right but they translate well. Commercial CDs don't always sound good through them because they instantly show the flaws. The BM15s are more fun to mix on and I felt more comfortable with the bass information 100Hz and down, but the mids were less detailed.

Hope that helps.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Nut

Thank you

Dear Autocrat,
Thank you for your response.
That was very helpful.
What kind of music do you produce?
What do you mean, "more fun" on the BM15a's?
Does bad sound on the P33s mean bad sound or bad sound on the P33.
This all becomes rather confusing to me.
Yours,
ES
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

By "more fun" I meant the BM15s are loud and punchy and I find myself getting to a final mix faster than the P33s (or at least what I thought was a final mix). However, I think I miss some mid information or over-EQ the bass because they sound nicer than the P33s. My myspace signature has a few rough mix songs that I did.

On the Adams, some music sounds bad because it's so revealing and you can hear the bad EQing or over compression. I think the BM15s hide it a little more and I don't notice a lot of the minute things. This doesn't mean the BM15s are bad per se. You just have to learn each speaker, see how they translate into the real world, and adjust your mix accordingly.

Of course, this whole thing is very subjective and you may perceive "good" sound differently than me. Also, it's not really an apples to apples comparison. If you were comparing the Adam P22 to the Dyn BM15s, that would be closer, but even then they have different types of tweeters.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search