The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favourite Compressors for Bass Guitar Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 8th January 2016
Gear Nut

Favourite Compressors for Bass Guitar

What are you go to hardware compressors for bass guitar in mix?
Old 8th January 2016
Universal Audio 1176 ( FET ) or Sebatron SMAC ( Optical ) have been the most used compressors in my studio. if it's a heavy track then i often dial in a fast attack and about 10:1 on the ratio to get a good even 'carpet' bass texture. Good monitoring as always is important on how much compression to use otherwise your bass may disappear on certain speakers.

Last edited by Norman Lindsey; 27th January 2016 at 06:17 PM..
Old 8th January 2016
Search function is my go to.....
Old 8th January 2016
Gear Maniac

I personally love the "670" sound on bass, but before that I treat the bass so its relative RMS volumes are constant (no hard peaks) so that the comp doesn't overcompress at random parts in the song. I like things to be real even, and I can then dial up a nice smooth but sustaining sound.

getting a really good (I mean REALLY good) bass sound, starts at the tracking stage, if the bass player is willing and patient, track with a 670 on the way in, at your desired controls for the song, then add some EQ to taste and let him/her play as consistent as possible throughout the song.

Tracking live bands are fine, but if I do that, I 99% Always get the bass player to redo his part...

everyone else s will be different, so expect a lot of different results in this thread
Old 8th January 2016
Gear Head
La2a.
Old 8th January 2016
Lives for gear

Hi AmpFactory,

Are you getting your "670" sound from the Phoenix?

Obviously Thermionic have been around for a while now (10 years, if not more?) but honestly no less than 3 close/trusted acquaintances have recently purchased various pieces in the last weeks (I'm getting a bit of the "generous Christmas present to self" vibe here, definitely) and am starting prick my own ears as well now.

Hmmm.

R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmpFactory View Post
I personally love the "670" sound on bass, but before that I treat the bass so its relative RMS volumes are constant (no hard peaks) so that the comp doesn't overcompress at random parts in the song. I like things to be real even, and I can then dial up a nice smooth but sustaining sound.

getting a really good (I mean REALLY good) bass sound, starts at the tracking stage, if the bass player is willing and patient, track with a 670 on the way in, at your desired controls for the song, then add some EQ to taste and let him/her play as consistent as possible throughout the song.

Tracking live bands are fine, but if I do that, I 99% Always get the bass player to redo his part...

everyone else s will be different, so expect a lot of different results in this thread
Old 8th January 2016
Here for the gear

Tube Tech CL1B

Or 1176

or both in conjunction.
Old 8th January 2016
Gear Nut

From personal experience I have gotten good to great results with:
1176, TC Phoenix, LA2A, dbx160a, distressor, FMR RNLA, even my Avalon 737 in some cases; also ITB the Renaissance compressor can work pretty well!

I'm looking into getting a retro176, which I haven't used yet, but judging by the samples I've geard it should do the job quite well

Cheers
Old 8th January 2016
love using the Purple MC77 and Retro Sta Level,
Old 8th January 2016
Your favorite mono compressor for bass?

Let's try and stop this culture of theme regurgitation. Does the search function need some work?
Old 8th January 2016
Old 8th January 2016
Lives for gear

I very much like the Neve Master bus processor.
Old 8th January 2016
Lives for gear

My favourite bass compressor is a freebie called Linear Straightwire. I use it everywhere where I can get away with it - which amounts in practice, regrettably, to hardly anywhere (tho I live in hope with acoustic material). Failing that a 1176. The nice thing about an 1176, and this goes for its myriad clones, copies, me too's, me3's, etc, is that it never needs a de-esser on the bus.

I sound like I'm joking?
Old 8th January 2016
Gear Maniac
Distressor, or usually the FMR PBC-6 with a bit of low pass in the side chain with the "thick" switch on.
Old 8th January 2016
Gear Head

HCL Solution!!!
Old 8th January 2016
i'll get kicked out of the high end forum for this one, but JBL 7110...
Old 9th January 2016
Lives for gear

Retro Sta-Level or LA-2A when tracking.
Retro 176 or 1176 when mixing.

Last edited by ghostwriter; 9th January 2016 at 07:01 PM..
Old 9th January 2016
Gear Nut

I have used quite a few different compressors for bass, starting with the Bill Putnam-designed, tube-based 175b and then gravitating to the newer FET version (UREI 1176LN) with some DBX and Valley People along the way. I still have some of the older compressors, but I have been using the UA reissue 1176-2 for bass the last few years with no regrets. Some folks insist on the original issue 1176 units, I think the newer units are close enough for rock 'n roll.
Old 9th January 2016
UA 1176 when you want a clear punchy sound.

UA LA2-A when you want to add roundness to your tone.
Old 9th January 2016
Gear Nut

Massive fan of the FMR RNLA here too!! Also super fat:BUZZ Audio SOC 1.1 -> JML Audio's FC500 -> Purple Audio TAV or EM-PEQ ( sorry, I know.. Not all are compressors)
Purple MC77 I use when i need more distortion, while FC500 feels slower(?) but I mean amazing slow ;-)
Another gem is the API 527!
Modern in your face sound, rather on the punchy side, for a harder sound. BUZZ SOC 1.1 is smooth very a great, tasteful thickening happening. Can be very smacky too. One of the fastest optos me thinks. Also amazing on synths ( basses ) or bus. Just makes everything sound right. ( I will try to demo the Atlas Pro Audio Leviathan hopefully some time soon! )

DAW:

UAD LA-2A and 1176 reissues!!!
Massive!!!

Plugin Alliance ( or UAD) Vertigo VSC-2 and the new red Opto compressor is/are great!

Softube Summit Audio opto ( can you believe it??! Forgot the name!!!!)

Tube-TECH CLA-2B

McDSP Compressor bank !!!! (Always works)

Renaissance comp

Metric Halo CST ( superb allrounder)

Logic's Comp is very good indeed too!

Slate The FET and the Red compressor are amazing, maybe the red more so.

UBK-1 ooooouuh yeaaaah!
Pusher oh baby! Both quality stuff!

Maserati GRP(!)

Airwindows(!)

Sonalksis SV-315 - smooth and flexible

Happy hunting!
Old 9th January 2016
Lives for gear

LA2A. BA6A. Vac Rac. If they are slapping and I need a faster attack, 1176.
Old 9th January 2016
Lives for gear

I have a hard time not using the Purple MC76 (precursor to the 77). I mostly do rock and it makes the bass sit down without being dull like nothing else I've tried. The distortion from its fast release keeps the bass from ever getting lost.
Old 9th January 2016
The old Joe meek vc6 with the drive q thing can be very handy between a bass guitar and a tube Di, just to smooth out any breakup on the first tube. After that it depends on the genre and tone expectation.
After all if it's a distorted bass sound you are after, like the stranglers etc. You probably won't need to distress it anymore than it is.
Old 9th January 2016
Gear Maniac
On my current chain, there are Mohog MoFet76 and Retro 176. I usually end up using both but sometimes I use MoFet just for distortion. Works wonders, I like .

-- Mikko
Old 9th January 2016
Gear Maniac

UBK FATSO glue + trafo yummy
Old 9th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
Wow. Must really bother you to post three times over the same thing.

Hey tell me Pail, what comp should I use on a bass track. Can you recommend something?
Doesn't really bother me. I just don't like to see a good resource wasted. Lots of industry people have left gearslutz for this reason. Don't be a D*** all your life....
Old 9th January 2016
Gear Addict

1176, Daking fet II or Smart C2 with crush engaged.
Old 9th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Your favorite mono compressor for bass?

Let's try and stop this culture of theme regurgitation. Does the search function need some work?
Search function does not work well here on iphone... Works just fine on my desktop though
Old 9th January 2016
Lives for gear

My current favorite on Bass is the Elysia Xpressor with Warm mode activated. Sounds great and adds some girth. Good stuff.
Old 9th January 2016
JLM optical whilst tracking, usually doesnt need too much else after 3 - 6db GR from the JLM but if it needs some heavy colour and character in the low end i run it through an RNLA.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search