The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Barefoot mm26! Studio Monitors
Old 17th January 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 View Post
Yeah- expensive - but they are extremely cool- hard to explain but very cool-
For some reason 12k for speakers seems more reasonable than 3.2 for 'handles'... kinda makes me want to know just how good those handles sound
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

That does seem a bit...excessive. For handles, anyway. The speakers themselves are comparably priced to other brands' mains, I suppose.
Old 18th January 2016
How do the 26's compare to the 27 Mk 2's?
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
How do the 26's compare to the 27 Mk 2's?
much more detailed in the midrange- crazy amounts of detailed information- it's like a adding a bunch of megapixels to your camera-

Ok- so- as I think about it- I had the original mm27s for 4 years- and they blew my mind- then I had the mm27 Gen 2s for a (busy) month- and they were a new game- considerably improved from the Gen 1s. In fairness, I split my time between my two studios at Gravity- the mm26s are in my tracking/mixing room and I have a pair of Genelec 8250s DSP with DSP sub in my mastering room.

I mix alone 75% of the time (unattended)- and I'm 47 yrs old with a lot of experience- so my speakers don't have to serve the dual purpose of sweetening the clients- I suppose these mm26s might be a bit more "clinical" sounding than the mm27 Gen2? Moreover, these will point or your mix issues a noticeable degree more than the mm27 Gen2-

Last edited by Gravity8058; 28th January 2016 at 04:49 AM..
Old 18th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks so much for sharing Doug. Can't wait to give these a listen!
Old 19th January 2016
Gear Nut

Thanks for sharing your observations!

Any comparison with the Genelec 8250 + sub system?
Old 19th January 2016
Sounds like the 26's are more of a mastering monitor than a near field for mixing. I mean lets get real, How many records were mixed in the last 20 years with monitors of this level that has a magnifed glass this powerful into the deep levels of the music? With that being said it sounds like they allow you to get to the finish line a lot faster, which is a good thing.

Wish I could afford the 27's Gen 2's. I think I would love them. But with this all being a serious hobby, and my son going to college, can't even afford the Micro 35's.
Old 19th January 2016
Lives for gear

I hear ya- well- this is how I'm putting my two boys through college (knock on wood)-

Mastering- yeah- they would work very well as a mastering monitor- but it would depend on the room- the DSP system in my mastering room is great for correcting modes in that room- but I plan on trying out the mm26s in there when a window opens up-

Last edited by Gravity8058; 19th January 2016 at 03:53 PM..
Old 19th January 2016
Quote:
I hear ya- well- this is how I'm putting my two boys through college (knock on wood)-

Mastering- yeah- they would work very well as a mastering monitor- but it would depend on the room- the DSP system in my mastering room is great for correcting modes in that room- but I plan on trying out the mm26s in there when a window opens up-
Do you still have the 5088 console in your studio? If not what did you change it to?
Old 19th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you still have the 5088 console in your studio? If not what did you change it to?
Moved to a hybrid setup that leans on Shadow Hills stuff-
Old 19th January 2016
Quote:
Moved to a hybrid setup that leans on Shadow Hills stuff-
I assume your another that just found total recall in a DAW more important than a great analog console. Shadow Hills makes great gear!
Old 20th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I assume your another that just found total recall in a DAW more important than a great analog console. Shadow Hills makes great gear!
Basically- Spending all your time listening in the sweet spot is addicting- don't know how I used to make good EQ decisions reaching off to the side and down were my outboard EQ rack lived-
Old 20th January 2016
Quote:
Basically- Spending all your time listening in the sweet spot is addicting- don't know how I used to make good EQ decisions reaching off to the side and down were my outboard EQ rack lived-
I know what you mean about working in the sweet spot. But then again summing all your channels through a 5088 board with all those transformers and wonderful EQ..... Do you miss it or does it make more sense to just buy a couple Portico EQ's and comps if you want that sound?
Old 20th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I know what you mean about working in the sweet spot. But then again summing all your channels through a 5088 board with all those transformers and wonderful EQ..... Do you miss it or does it make more sense to just buy a couple Portico EQ's and comps if you want that sound?
My biggest realization over the past decade is that monitoring environment (room/speakers) is the most important thing- If you're not hearing what's really there then you can tweak you're way to oblivion-
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

Did you have a chance to try the MEME emulations?

Thanks!
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
My biggest realization over the past decade is that monitoring environment (room/speakers) is the most important thing- If you're not hearing what's really there then you can tweak you're way to oblivion-
Exactly

I was close to buying these but went ATC
Old 24th January 2016
Quote:
That was the problem with the Portico 5033 in my rack. I have to move away from my sweet spot by a couple of feet. Make adjustments and then sit in my studio chair and move back and forth to get the sound I wanted. If I buy the Steinberg Portico plug in EQ, I can stay in my sweet spot and make proper adjustments.
Old 28th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoe1972 View Post
Did you have a chance to try the MEME emulations?

Thanks!
Yes- thanks for reminding me cuz that is no small thing- The 4 different "Curves" are perfect! I use the Flat setting 65% of the time, the NS-10 style setting 25% of the time, and the Auritone 10% -- and I feel each is essential- very insightful- I sold my NS10s (along with my stash of NOS woofers and tweeters)- AND- taking away the NS10s (physically), improves the sound at my mixing position! No more comb filtering from those cabinets-

Over the past month I've been mixing about 4 X 8 hr days each week and really have enjoyed these new 26s-
I feel like I'm able to get my mixes to the point where I used to consider them "done", much more quickly- BUT THEN - I hear so much more detail that I spend that "saved" time taking each mix beyond what I could have pulled off in the past- That is really inspiring- and fun-
Old 28th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I feel like I'm able to get my mixes to the point where I used to consider them "done", much more quickly- BUT THEN - I hear so much more detail that I spend that "saved" time taking each mix beyond what I could have pulled off in the past- That is really inspiring- and fun-
Wow, this is a truly wonderful compliment Doug. It's exactly what I'm hoping for - using whatever talents I have in this little world of speaker design to help amplify the talents of creative people like you and make music even better. This is very rewarding to read. Thanks man.

Thomas
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

Thomas- did you see this on Visconti's Facebook?

https://www.facebook.com/tony.viscon...805237430902:0
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

Hi Doug, Yeah Tony and I are friends on Facebook. Of course, I shared the hell out his post!

Incidentally, he used his Gen2 MM27s for playing/producing/mixing Bowie's Blackstar. They were just finishing up the album when we shot this video back in October during AES: Barefoot Sound » Masters of the Craft with Tony Visconti Well, we had no idea about the extremely sad news on the horizon. I imagine Tony did, but he never let on. There are so many truly good souls in this business. And Tony is certainly one of the best.

Last edited by barefoot; 24th February 2016 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: typos

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search