The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley Force vs Manley Dual mic pre
Old 5th January 2016
Manley Force vs Manley Dual mic pre

The Force has 4 mic pre's while the Dual of course has 2. However the Duo cost more. What advantage is there with the Dual Mono over the Force? Does it sound different, what is the cost factor that makes it more?

I have a Voxbox which I love and I am looking to buy more Manley mic pre's. The Dual has the same mic pre as my Voxbox. What different sound will I get with the Force?
Old 7th January 2016
Gear Addict

HI I have both, a mono 40db from 2001 (original owner) and the force. They sound different as they are 2 different designs. They said that the new design the Force incorporates allows it to be built in a tenth the time compared to the 40db, thus keeping cost down. I think all the new Manley stuff has this new manufacture design. I think they said assembly time for the 40db takes 9 man hours, the Force about an hour.

Th sound being different is a good bonus. The 40db sounds more warm/full/lush, the Force sounds more modern, perfect, upfront and the added HP and phase reverse is wonderful! I like the Force more for drums too. And 4 channels of Manley mic pre for $2000, that's like 4 500 series modules but with the power supply built in running at proper voltage (300 volt rails, can't do that with 500 series)

:-)
Old 7th January 2016
Think I would go with the Dual mic pre if wanting the same sound as the Voxbox.

Thanks Tim, Samplitude rocks by the way.
Old 9th January 2016
Gear Addict

I looked over my note (I am putting together a video on the FORCE for/with Manley) from my script:
-The preamp’s design is different from the VoxBox and 40db preamp in that Manley replaced the tube output stage with a specially designed MOSfet stage.

-The Force’s preamp design which is taken from the award winning Manley Core Channel strip, was derived from the Mastering Labs Mic pre that the team at Manley was involved with back in the 80’s.

I'd say try out the force and see if you like it, then decide.
Old 21st January 2016
Here for the gear

Please elaborate

Hi Tim,

Can you please elaborate on this comment: <The Force’s preamp design which is taken from the award winning Manley Core Channel strip, was derived from the Mastering Labs Mic pre that the team at Manley was involved with back in the 80’s.>

I'm under the impression that The Mastering Lab mic preamp was an in house development by Doug Sax and TML's engineering staff. I understand that one of those engineers consulted with Manley along the line, but I've never heard that Manley people were involved with the TML mic pre. Though I do note similarities between TML and Manley tube mics preamps - layout, directly coupled White cathode follower, no output transformer.

Thanks!
Old 28th January 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex64 View Post
Hi Tim,

Can you please elaborate on this comment: <The Force’s preamp design which is taken from the award winning Manley Core Channel strip, was derived from the Mastering Labs Mic pre that the team at Manley was involved with back in the 80’s.>

I'm under the impression that The Mastering Lab mic preamp was an in house development by Doug Sax and TML's engineering staff. I understand that one of those engineers consulted with Manley along the line, but I've never heard that Manley people were involved with the TML mic pre. Though I do note similarities between TML and Manley tube mics preamps - layout, directly coupled White cathode follower, no output transformer.

Thanks!
Hi, That would be a Q for Manley. I got the impression it was that Manley manufactured the ML preamps for ML. I was just told the statement I posted, they were involved.
Old 8th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDolbear View Post
Hi, That would be a Q for Manley. I got the impression it was that Manley manufactured the ML preamps for ML. I was just told the statement I posted, they were involved.
Manley built some items for The Mastering Lab (Sheffield tube mic amps for sure, I've seen one on the Blackbird Rentals website), but didn't have anything to do with the ML-1 mic preamps. They were assembled by another company in North Hollywood.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search