The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High End Main Monitor Amp.'s!
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

High End Main Monitor Amp.'s!

For those of us who still do work every now, & then in big control rooms what amps have you observed in machine rooms, or studio wall space conduits. I've seen/heard everything from Cello Audio to Bryston. Any preferences.

Rob G..
Old 23rd January 2007
I personally use a Bryston 4B-st with my Adam s3's ,love this amp.

someone I know uses Camilion ?
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, the Bryston's are great. One of the few 'indestructible' amps with 'audiophile' fidelity.

Rob G..
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hafler 9505.

It is very good, but i wouldn´t name it really high end.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

i am doing some reviews on Classe audio amps and will have a bryston soon also. Personally Krell I found to be better than bryston and same with Nelson Pass. This Classe so far it really is awesome. I will report more later.

I run Audio Research right now and like them a lot.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

No doubt Krell amps are great performance wise. But, they're not as robust/durable to be able to stand up to the constant rigors that a Bryston can take.

Rob G..
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Adebar,

I would'nt name the Hafler ultra-high end but, I would consider them high-end. They are decent amps. About 15 years, or so ago Hafler, Bryston, Perreaux, Mc Intosh, & Crown were standards for powering studio mains.

Rob G..
Old 27th January 2007
Perreaux at my place. Hot House amps you see in some places as well. Some Brystons. Where triamping is needed on a budget Stewart PR-1000's.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Bel Canto here. I run them 24/7 as recommended. They never get above room temperature.

Steve
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
Adebar,

I would'nt name the Hafler ultra-high end but, I would consider them high-end. They are decent amps. About 15 years, or so ago Hafler, Bryston, Perreaux, Mc Intosh, & Crown were standards for powering studio mains.

Rob G..

Agreed.
But with real high end i mean amps like Burmester, MBL, Mark Levinson, ... to name a few. But I have never seen them somewhere in a studio.

Seems like the consumer high end is not very well known in the pro audio community and i even think most dislike them or think about them there were overpriced crap.

Indeed there are voodoo manufacturer and sometimes the front plate need not to be 5 cm thick, but there are real good amps out there in the consumer/home high end market. The same on can be said about monitors.

I like manufactueres who are at home in both worlds - the pro and the home market - like B+W, Manley, Meitner, Bryston, ... because often they have a real good technical backround to convince the professionals and they still have a sense for the importance of emotion for music playback at the same time.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug View Post
Bel Canto here. I run them 24/7 as recommended. They never get above room temperature.

Steve
You go Steve! The ($1400) S300 is an *awesome* amp, cannot imagine better for under $5k. See:
http://www.belcantodesign.com/prodmain_amps.html
They never use over 15 watts unless passing noise or sine waves, etc...
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
The ($1400) S300 is an *awesome* amp, cannot imagine better for under $5k.
Hi Sam,
That is a great price, and they are really compact now aren't they?

Curious if you ever compared them next to the old standard Spectral? Not too close in price, though!

Steve
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

The Pass Labs X series sounds incredible & is very well worth mentioning on this thread - oodles of clean smooth power capable of accurately reproducing any transient & frequency you care to throw at it - http://www.passlabs.com

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug View Post
Hi Sam,
That is a great price, and they are really compact now aren't they?

Curious if you ever compared them next to the old standard Spectral? Not too close in price, though!

Steve
Hey Steve,
Yeah, the price is great, I also got the $1700 preamp, both for my home system. I'll likely get another amp for my monitors when they're upgraded... I've been in lousy health for so long that it's silly, studio still months from completion after 2 years... . As you know, both amp and line preamp have balanced and unbalanced ins and outs (1 bal. in for the "Pre 3").

I never heard the Spectrals, but others have made comparisons which generally favor the Bel Cantos. But I've heard or owned many high-end amps, and this unit is extremely good. Isn't the bass on this little 2ch box just amazing--so fast, so helpful to the mids! (Do you have the S300 like me?) There are also the $1k 300w and the $2k 1000w monoblocks (power ratings @4 Ohms, half that at 8 Ohms). FWIW, I would be astonished if any Bryston, well-built though it is, has this sonic quality.
Take care, Sam
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Addict

I use a Pass Labs X-5 in my Post surround room. This is an incredible amp that closely emulates my big boy XA-160 mono's in my Mastering Room!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 17th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
No doubt Krell amps are great performance wise. But, they're not as robust/durable to be able to stand up to the constant rigors that a Bryston can take.

Rob G..
Hmmm, I would think the Krell amps I have reviewed to be even better than the Bryston. Either way I just finished a review of the Classe´ CA-2100 and I preffer them over the Krell and Bryston. Different sound and this is their entry level product but from top to bottom it was fluid. Still I won't be selling my custom made 12 watt tube amps.
Old 18th April 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807Recordings View Post
Hmmm, I would think the Krell amps I have reviewed to be even better than the Bryston. Either way I just finished a review of the Classe´ CA-2100 and I preffer them over the Krell and Bryston. Different sound and this is their entry level product but from top to bottom it was fluid. Still I won't be selling my custom made 12 watt tube amps.
I would also expect a Krell to last as long as a typical Bryston. The general practice at Krell was not to charge for repair of an amp which was not clearly abused (i.e. dropped from a great distance) no matter its age. I owned Krells for a decade and saw their innards. They have always been overbuilt (OK, except for the ill-fated "Altair"); longevity should match Bryston. I haven't heard the very latest Krells. For the very best performance I would also consider Edge, Halcro, and Boulder in addition to aforementioned Classe and Pass Labs gear. IMO no tube amps today, and I've heard a lot, can match the *top* SS contenders for accuracy in most sound categories.

Last edited by Sam Lord; 18th April 2007 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: most vs any sound category

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search