The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Redd 47 Chandler versus Dizengoff D4 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear
Come up with the funds, shoot em out, make a decision. Might take you a little longer but less margin for regret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Yeah nothing wrong with the ADL at all, I was planning on retubing it for that really high clarity with the siemens up front and the reissue teles in the back but the Hendy does seem more in line with what im looking for. I hate selling gear cuz one day im gonna want it back. I dunno maybe ill keep it but redundant gear makes me feel odd. Like having the 72-10 jordans and the space jams.
Old 8th February 2017
SEED78
Quote:
Yeah nothing wrong with the ADL at all, I was planning on retubing it for that really high clarity with the siemens up front and the reissue teles in the back but the Hendy does seem more in line with what im looking for. I hate selling gear cuz one day im gonna want it back. I dunno maybe ill keep it but redundant gear makes me feel odd. Like having the 72-10 jordans and the space jams.
I literally just this second scored a ADL600 for £460 ($575) - lets see if the seller honours my winning bid, pretty low price!

I don't strictly need another preamp - but I do need a preamp with line in, and also I get the impression this has a LOT of uses as a preamp.

you should re-read a lot of thread on here on the ADL, fall back in love with it or try something new obviously - I usually find once I have doubts with gear I'm happiest once its gone.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I literally just this second scored a ADL600 for £460 ($575) - lets see if the seller honours my winning bid, pretty low price!

I don't strictly need another preamp - but I do need a preamp with line in, and also I get the impression this has a LOT of uses as a preamp.

you should re-read a lot of thread on here on the ADL, fall back in love with it or try something new obviously - I usually find once I have doubts with gear I'm happiest once its gone.
Damn that is a super great deal!!!!!! Man ill be honest, aint nothing wrong with it. I just have my moments of wow and think whats expendable in the lab and i dont use that pre as much as the Fearn, as much being the key phrase. I think the one thing that gets me about the Fearn is the ability to hear "around" or "in-between" the sounds. but it doesnt really have a tubish sound to it, just smooth. Opposite with the ADL, punchy and handles transients very well and sounds fuller in the low mid, but not as "3D" as the Fearn. I guess that is what has me star struck about the Hendy. The other pre i was in love with was NPNG, that was the most 3D open around each note pre ive ever heard.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Come up with the funds, shoot em out, make a decision. Might take you a little longer but less margin for regret.
Probably right. Different tools for different projects, i love using one pre cuz it just makes the project gel at the end easier. I tried the whole different pre for kicks and different for snares but i think thats more of a mic the drum kit thing.
Old 8th February 2017
SEED78
Quote:
Damn that is a super great deal!!!!!! Man ill be honest, aint nothing wrong with it. I just have my moments of wow and think whats expendable in the lab and i dont use that pre as much as the Fearn, as much being the key phrase. I think the one thing that gets me about the Fearn is the ability to hear "around" or "in-between" the sounds. but it doesnt really have a tubish sound to it, just smooth. Opposite with the ADL, punchy and handles transients very well and sounds fuller in the low mid, but not as "3D" as the Fearn. I guess that is what has me star struck about the Hendy. The other pre i was in love with was NPNG, that was the most 3D open around each note pre ive ever heard.
Which mpc you using?

I'll try recording my mpc3000 and sp1200 through the ADL when I get it. In few months the will get tubes from Bowie for it if it's a keeper.

I figure I can prop flip the ADL for more cash if I don't like it - complained to preamps like VT1 it has a lot of features - but sound is sound like you say.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which mpc you using?

I'll try recording my mpc3000 and sp1200 through the ADL when I get it. In few months the will get tubes from Bowie for it if it's a keeper.

I figure I can prop flip the ADL for more cash if I don't like it - complained to preamps like VT1 it has a lot of features - but sound is sound like you say.
Im using the 5000, the one track i have in the new product forum was the 2500 which has a nasally sound to it. I asked once on here and a couple people said they knew what i was talking about. The 5000 doesnt have that nasal sound to my ears.

Im sure you will like the ADL. There is nothing not to like about it plus it has the line inputs and mic inputs, plus the different ohm settings for the mic which gives it more tone options. Which is what has me looking at the Da Vinci closer and closer.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Not sure what some guy Ian is posting about the low gain of the REDD47 being an issue and he's never heard one..... I use my REDD with low gain all the time and a bass DI which is active from Little Labs, so the gain is set..... It beats out my 1073's, API, V78 for that matter.. Love it when people read instead of listen. I don't think The Beatles cared that there was a negative feedback circuit in their mic preamps. As compared to the D4, no idea but I know people that have them and have used my REDD's and they were very impressed with the REDD's.
Old 9th February 2017
SEED78
Quote:
Im using the 5000, the one track i have in the new product forum was the 2500 which has a nasally sound to it. I asked once on here and a couple people said they knew what i was talking about. The 5000 doesnt have that nasal sound to my ears.

Im sure you will like the ADL. There is nothing not to like about it plus it has the line inputs and mic inputs, plus the different ohm settings for the mic which gives it more tone options. Which is what has me looking at the Da Vinci closer and closer.
I've not been convinced by the sound of the 2500 from what I've heard either.

Hope I like the ADL, fingers crossed!

More on subject - why don't you try to get a demo unit of Chandler's Redd preamp?
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've not been convinced by the sound of the 2500 from what I've heard either.

Hope I like the ADL, fingers crossed!

More on subject - why don't you try to get a demo unit of Chandler's Redd preamp?
From the examples ive heard the Redd doesnt have that depth perception i like in a pre. It has that vintage wooly flavor in spades but it doesnt seem like it preserves the depth very well. But maybe i do need to get it in to demo it instead of listening to what is recorded on the net TBH. Im gonna see if Sweetwater has a demo i could try.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search